francisco

Cf Cards Wear Out?

Can CF cards be "worn out"?

Reading some archives for a firewall software I am looking into I found a post that said:

>nothing is written to the CF card (it is usually mounted read-only), to

>minimize the chance of wearing it out.

Aren't CF cards like memory?

PS anyone looking for a small Firewall setup check:

http://m0n0.ch/wall (software)

http://www.soekris.com/ (hardware)

CF cards, and anything else based on Flash™ memory, has a limited number of write/rewrite cycles. I think it is at least in the thousands, but it is not like regular RAM which can be erased and rewritten probably trillions of times, if not more. This is why we don't yet have solid-state hard drives-because we don't have a non-volatile RAM technology that can withstand the billions of rewrites current hard drives can.

CF cards, and anything else based on Flash? memory, has a limited number of write/rewrite cycles.  I think it is at least in the thousands.

Re-writes in the thousands is pretty low. :-(

Are all card technologies like that?

For instance USB drives would they suffer from the same problem?

Well, Flash card are, in our days, rewritable over 100000 times. (in theory) but a decade ago, flash technology was rated in the 1000 range. lots of progress made since.

As for USB drive, if they are Flash memory based, it is the same story...

A little info about flash drives : when copying data and erasing it, the firmware in the drive will keep track of where it's been written to not rewrite to the same location over and over. In fact, they do not erase data from the flash memory, but write in 'fresh' memory until hte whole capacity has been written once. Then they will erase for the first time to get some 'refreshen' capacity. This way, the 'limited' amount of time the Flash memory is rewritten is minimize, increasing the life of the media...

MEJV