Kent

New Hitachi 7k250, 80gig, Sata, Dead After 1 Month

This post is in conjunction with another post of mine below. It is...

(No hard drive found. Any ideas?) Which you might read.

Well, I called Hitachi Global Support and gave them the information I got after running DFT(Drive Fitness Test) I was told the drive was probably not spinning up properly. Granted the support tech couldn't be for sure without actually checking the drive, but he said it sounded like a bad drive. This has definitely got me "ticked"! :angry: I have been building my own systems ever since the days of the "old" K6-2. Which actually isn't that long ago, but... :lol: Of all the systems I have built I have "lost" 2 hard drives. The IBM 75GXP and now the Hitachi 7K250. I'm sorry, but I will never again buy a Hitachi(IBM). I may loose a few hundred points in a benchmark(big deal), but so what! Granted, every manufacturer has had a drive go "bad", but personally I haven't had any luck with IBM. Anyway, I hope no one else looses their new Hitachi 7K250. Kent ;)

I'm glad you will no longer be buying IBM drives. I wont have to hear about your silly nonesense. I'll continue to buy drives from Seagate, Maxtor, and IBM becasue they offer the best features at attractive prices.

I'm glad you will no longer be buying IBM drives. I wont have to hear about your silly nonesense. I'll continue to buy drives from Seagate, Maxtor, and IBM becasue they offer the best features at attractive prices.

That's quite nasty coming from SR staff.

Personally I prefer Hitachi/IBM hard disc over any of the other manufacturers. Even with the bad track record.

Why? As mainstream ATA hard discs go Hitachi/IBM is the least amount coming through the door for repair/recovery.

All hard disc manufacturers have there problems. It usually happens in lots, or bad batch.

I have been running my 2 120GB 7K250 harddsic with no problems so far. Although, they are kept cool with fans in from of them. The fans are also thermal controlled as well.

Regards,

Sorry to hear about the bad batch of drives you found...

I was just thinking what if we all held grudges after receiving a couple bad drives.

Wellll... I would no longer have a PC since I've seen every drive manufacturer screw up big time with one model or another.

I guess I'd running Compact Flash cards! LOL!! Lexar hasn't screwed me yet. :D

I wouldn't write off the manufacturer completely. Just wait until they come out with a new line of drives and see how they perform.

Also, when you get a replacement drive try to get one from a different lot (batch).

Even the big name retailers drop a few, or leave a couple cases of drives on a loading dock in below zero weather -- overnight even!

If it was me, I'd blame the seller not the manufacturer.

DogEared

8^)

It's a shame the way IBM/Hitachi gets trashed nowadays. They have had one series of drives with issues. I'm surprised I haven't heard more stories about the other manufacturers. The only manufacturer where I have had multiple failures is Maxtor. From them I have lost 2 drives.

There must be some other way to better shake up the low-profit market on IDE drives; such as timed-recall ;) by HDD BIOS after a certain period of time of usage, say, 3000 POH or 2 years since activation ;) Rather than the prevailing leave-to-dry-and-die drive reliabilities.

I havent had a total satifactory experience from any of the 7krpm IDE drives suppliers. :unsure:

Well I will tell you guys this. "There is only two types of Hard Discs. Hard Disc's that have failed and those that will fail."

So whats the meaning of the saying? Backup your data...

My system at home has a WDC 36GB Raptor as the boot drive. The hard disc is ghosted to another hard drive in the system for backup purposes. So if the Raptor goes down anothet hard drive will take its place. This is done on a weekly basis.

As of the other hard disc's in my system they are all backed up to DVDR.

Regards and do not forget to backup your data,