tylau

7k250 Atto Score

Compared to my 180GXP, write speeds are ~10% better than what i get using vdub as a benchmark... read speeds look a little lower than the review of th 7k250...

I suggest you run wb99 or even HDtach and compare the STR.

I would add a pic of my test scores but the server has not enabled file attachment--how do I show the graph ?

I didnt specify my drive, as a 80GB model. nighthyme what is the drive in your graph attached to? It looks like my write speeds are crippled.

Hitachi/IBM has lower the seek time on 1 platter 7K250, I got merely aroung 13.5ms average access in HDTach 2.61, which is way off my dead 60GXP. <_< So look out for 2 platter models should you consider buying, big drive is always worthy even if you would never use the full capacity of it, IMO.

Not to mention the suspicious menace on my unlucky one. :(

p.s. troop, if u prefer, send me your atto picture and I will host it. :)

Hmm What do you mean by Attached to ?

Here is a list of my system specs. Hope you'll find your answer here:

By The Way. Have you gotten use to the MIAAUU sound yet. It still bugs me a bit :-)

System Specs:

CPU: P4c Northwood 2.4@3.0 Ghz, 800@1000 Mhz FSB, Cooled by Zalman CNPS7000A-CU

MOBO: asus p4p800 Deluxe, bios 1012.002. MAM enabled, Turbo mode

MEMORY: 2 x 256MB OCZ EL DDR PC-3500 Dual Channel Platinum *Limited Edition* (2-2-2-5-8)

GRAPHIC'S: Tyan Radeon 9700pro clock Default, Omega 2496c (Cat 3.9)

HD's: Hitachi DeskStar 7K250 8MB Cache 160GB, WD 1200JB 8MB Cache 120 GB

PSU: 360 Watt chieftec

SOUND: onboard Soundmax

Monitor: Samsung 959NF, 19" Diamondtron

Your 160GB probably answers the higher write speeds, just wondering what cluster size you used on the NTFS partition. What is that sound you try to pronounce?

If you don't get this idle sound every 10 minnuts your lucky but then again your drive might be faulty because it is surpossed to do this thing. See here

http://forums.storagereview.net/index.php?...topic=12594&hl=

I dont have that king of sound, the drive is inaudible when idel, nothing can be heard of on the bearing. The only freaky sound comes in active seekings, squeaky sound emitts when in certain active head seekings.

I suspect this is to be some indication of less than optimal track alignments, possible in the form of head seeking errors; just dont know for sure, but got a bad feeling that this is some kind of development of failure. I got drive die on similar symptoms before. :angry:

As for the cluster size, 7K250 did benefit somewhat in make say, a 64K cluster, which I am currently seeking a utility to convert existing NTFS partitions, just wonder if that exists.

As I recall from a earlier post here on the forum, the 7k250 emits the sound when the drive isn't used regulary. (idle time)

This is true in my case , I only use the drives for backups, meaning they are never really used.

I think Hitachi said the drives were doing this in order to keep the drive as fit as possible.

So..., if you are using it for an O/S drive or "Games" drive then you would keep it in use and not be hearing this sound.

This is how I've been told about this noice thingy.

/A