n_u_f_a_n

Raptors 74gb In Raid 0

Guest Eugene

Participants in another popular hardware forum swoon over the 2.99 ms seek time and have yet to be corrected...

Maybe I'm being too harsh here!

Then again, maybe not :)

And, well, I guess what I'm expressing is that despite the fact that many relatively-knowledgeable readers bemoan the infatuation with RAID0 and the continued use of programs such as Sandra to assess HD performance, warm reception simply affirms the trend.

What (benchmarking) alternative would you suggest? I don't recall being given access to SR's software or trace files...

-JoeTD

No, I use the content-creation winstone 2001 captured on a system three years more advanced than WB99 with contemporary operating and file systems played back without the effects of double caching on a single, reference system to yield maximum comparability of high-level results.

If you really believed WB99 had any weight in SR drive judgments then I'm sincerely pleased that I had the opportunity to clear this up!

No question the benchmarking system itself is more advanced, but I was implying that the pattern used was the same. I thought you traced the pattern for the SR HE Drivemark from the High End DWM in WB99. Obviously, if you had traced the HEDWM from WB99 then it would indeed have some weight in SR's drive evaluations... But now I realize that it wasn't the HEDWM from WB99, but rather Content Creation WS 2k1. My bad.

But still, CCWS 2k1 is not that different from WB99's HEDWM. The pattern is still fairly sequential in nature, and to do well in this test you need to have a high STR. Thankfully, the recording and playback system is significantly superior.

Maybe I'm being too harsh here!

You are! :o

i just checked the western digital support site for the warranty of both of my drives.... [snip]

I received this email from NewEgg early this morning:

"Dear Customer,

We only stand by the Newegg warranty of 1 year. It was truly a pleasure serving you and we hope for the opportunity to do business with you again in the near future."

Is it just me, or is it truly worthless to list a 3rd party warranty? I really couldn't care less what NewEgg might warrant their parts for.

In any event, it looks like I'll get a 5-year warranty, and then after buying with my AmEx that will automatically be extended to 6. That's a definite improvement seeing as how my WD400BB expires in a week and a half.

At the very least, this benchmark says that these rives do not suffer from the problem that Seagate had when two individually fast drives were combined to form a raid-0.

It wasn't just Seagate - WD's own JB-series drives have had reports of RAID 0 problems as well. Which makes this information well worth having...and besides, it gives at least half the forum members woodies. :D

Future Shock

Oh come on! :D

Let me express myself...

And, well, I guess what I'm expressing is that despite the fact that many relatively-knowledgeable readers bemoan the infatuation with RAID0 and the continued use of programs such as Sandra to assess HD performance, warm reception simply affirms the trend.

So you're saying, "Please don't feed the monkeys." ;)

I'd say that the monkeys are feeding themselves just fine. Just don't stick you hand in the cage -- they bite!

Oh come on! :D

Let me express myself...

So you're saying, "Please don't feed the monkeys." ;)

I'd say that the monkeys are feeding themselves just fine. Just don't stick you hand in the cage -- they bite!

deadhorse.gif

You're making a big deal out of it, don't you?

I only praised the speed and combined capacity of the RAIDed new Raptors, that's all. And even if that was expected, nevertheless it still is awe-inspiring. As was Darking's system in his thread a couple of weeks ago. So please do shut up, will ya? ;)

Question for n_u_f_a_n: do the actual shipping drives seem as quiet and whine-free as SR's test sample?

I'm thinking of using a single drive as a data drive, but want to make sure I won't have a PC case full of mosquitoes :)

I'm thinking of using a single drive as a data drive, but want to make sure I won't have a PC case full of mosquitoes  :)

I'm not Nufan, but I can answer that...

My Raptor showed up a couple days ago. Actually, I think I'm probably more like the typical user. A lot of people on these boards are RAID obsessed, whereas I on the other hand prefer to shoot for the highest single-drive reliability/performance I can find. My prior drive was a WD400BB, so I don't upgrade drives all too often. I buy a new system every 4 years and do a substantial upgrade every 2 (new video, ram, fastest processor the motherboard will allow).

My system is outfitted for minimal noise. I have an Antec Sonata case, Zalman heat sinks, etc. Anyway, my assessment of the drive is that the idle noise floor is lower than the WD400. The WD400 had near-silent seek noise, whereas the new drive is more audible (very low volume clicking). However, the drive is in my personal workstation which is not a server, etc. Consequentially it only tends to seek when I'm loading an app, etc (<1% of the time).

This is fine for me, but if for instance you were a student who spent all day trading illegal music then yes, the seek noise could get annoying. It's more than anything Seagate, less than anything SCSI. For the typical/performance user it is probably fine, for those 'silent obsessed' the Seagates are still best. My line of thinking is the highest performance possible (all at stock speeds) with the least noise possible.

Oh, and on the bright side, my WinXP boot times are around 15 seconds. :)

but if for instance you were a student who spent all day trading illegal music then yes, the seek noise could get annoying
LOL, I wonder how many warez-ers would be stupid enough to spend $300 for just 74 GB of storage instead of 360+ GB?

I'm finally upgrading my 3-year-old P3-933 to a P4 3.2, and my main uses are:

- Windows application software development (Visual studio / VC++), which runs acceptably on my 5400 RPM maxtor.

- Gaming, where I'm getting some choppiness loading map areas in Morrowind.

I'll get improvement in map loading even if I just go with a 7200 RPM drive, but from the SR benches I'd get a nice boost over than with the Raptor.

I'm thinking of a system with:

- a 7200 RPM drive for OS and work parititions (VC++, InstallShield, etc.)

- a 74 GB Raptor for games

If the idle noise of the Raptor is quiet, then I won't hear it when I'm working (and using the 7200 RPM drive), and will only get the hammering during gaming when (hopefully) the game audio will mask the sound.

Eugene:

Your infatuation / hatred of Raid 0 is somewhat justified but really it can and will help many people from time to time.

Sure seek times are more important more often than not - but none the less every now and then some of us "more techie types" use sequential reading a lot.

I often work with 4.7gb of data at a time - zipping / unzipping / copying / moving etc - if I have a raid 0 set to write to and can read from a fast 250gb drive it's going to save me time.

My friend has a machine almost identical to mine but our hard drives are as follows

him 2x120gb Seagate 8mb cache drives, Raid 0.

me 1x36gb Raptor

his machine blows mine away in load times for most games and windows and "general feel of the machine"

also yes HDTach isn't the best ever I agree - but it's a "basic" benchmarking tool.

Can you please (as a site feature?) perhaps provide a link / url from the front page for your own readers (US!) to all the benchmarking software you use (which is free?) - that would be a good start to promote less use of HDTACH.

- Scott

STR isn't everything! (Eugene needs a beating a dead horse icon!)

I've benched and used the Raptors and they are quick. Still, high end SCSI is even faster. If you look at the bench below you would think otherwise. I'm using the machine that produced those results and can say going from two raptors in RAID0 to that system (the benchmark is actually 4 MAS 15K drives in RAID10 on LSi Logic U320-2X w/256MB) is like going from a 400BB to a pair of Raptors in RAID0.

mistest.gif

The HD Tach results are laughable as the true burst is over 800 MB/S and STR on the RAID10 logical disk starts at 170MB/S and ends at 145. :)

Cheers!

hd-tach

is not a good bench for scsi raid.

wenn you like a good bench:

hdbenchw.

winbench99

atto

i have 3 k15 maxtor and vortex controller,

and 2 wd 740 raid 0 on ich5r.

the scsi is much better than sata.

sse the threat storage in www.hardwareluxx.de

threat is "wer hat die wd740....."

kemen

US prices of WD Raptor drives are strangely high. Most IDE and SCSI drives are cheapest in the US but Raptor drivse are cheaper in South Korea than in newegg.com.