Sign in to follow this  
purplecheesecake

CASE? ... gonna build PC for nephews

Gamers and PC experts,

My two nephews want me to help them build a PC for Xmas, so I thought getting one of those transparent cases would be a good start. I saw this one on Xoxide.

http://www.xoxide.com/xoreduvreclc.html

Is this a good one for a 13 and 11 year old? Don't laugh I'm over 40.

I was wondering if the UV reactive lighting needs external lights to glow, or does it have an internal source. Do you have any other case suggestions?

Thanks in advance, sorry for not posting on the board for so long.

PCC

In the options you can pick cold cathode UV light and you dont need an external light source for that.

BUT....... from my personal experience - never buy these things, they look nice at the begining but you cannot clean them whatsoever, after a couple of months of use they look real bad.

If you want a good case then the Antec sonata which comes with a 380w power supply is my personal favourite, its quiet, nicely built and has good vantilation. if you just want something that looks futuristic the site you linked contains more then enough selection.

Hope this helps

I doubt I would buy an acrylic case for a couple of teenagers - they really are meant just for display purposes, and are NOT durable at all. They scratch very easily, crack, and after a while just look like stinker.

You might want to take a gander at the Chenbro Spider cases - relatively cheap, and your choice of 4 great colors. I have heard the orange is particularly popular.

Future Shock

i second the vote for the sonata, very nice case. got a bright blue led set in the front.

Having UV on a system for kids might not be the best idea for health reasons.

That and i agree they probably wouldnt keep it clean enough to look nice. Not only on the outside, but after a few monthes the dust will build up on the inside, and i doubt you want them pulling it apart to clean it (unless you want to build them another one next xmas).

Dont get an acrylic see thru case, we have 1 in the shop for display...

1) scratches easy.

2) expensive

3) Acrylic see thru material doesnt transmitt heat (at all) so extra fans make it noisey...

4) fragile... Even inserting cards into the computer, I broke a little bit off the back plane of the case... Not for kids...

5) No RF sheilding. Not much of an issue, but an issue.

Wouldn't a UV light make a clear acrylic case go cloudy?

Anyway, I'd say a clear case is a bad plan.

5) No RF sheilding. Not much of an issue, but an issue.

Wouldn't a UV light make a clear acrylic case go cloudy?

Anyway, I'd say a clear case is a bad plan.

RF shielding isnt much a problem anymore...

What with the higher clock frequencies of motherboards, these days, that if a motherboard had a ground fault and was 'broadcasting' the system probably wouldnt function...

I am going to third the Antec Sonata, I just got one and it's a good case in all respects. Really quiet too.

Also going to say stay away from the clear cases for the reasons above.

Really any case that looks decent they are going to thank you for, I would personally just try to stay away from beige and get something with a layout inside that wasn't cooked up by contortionists on crack. Plenty of "pre customized" cases out there too.

From the manual, doesn't look like your board has any firewire ports(headers or back panel). So your outta luck unless you want to by an expansion card... but unless you really need firewire, I wouldn't bother.

-JoeTD

From the manual, doesn't look like your board has any firewire ports(headers or back panel). So your outta luck unless you want to by an expansion card...  but unless you really need firewire, I wouldn't bother.

-JoeTD

Expansion cards generally dont have 'pins' to connect to, they'll just have a firewire port, faceing inward...

they'll just have a firewire port, faceing facing inward...

which you can cut off to reveal PINS!

hehe.. lol...

I think PCC has the Deluxe version of that board, which DOES feature dual Firewire headers. There should also be a cable harness to connect those ports to a rear connector panel (provided by Asus).

If that's so, then PCC has two options:

1) Install rear connector panel, use Firewire from the rear panel with no extra wiring or work.

2) Create a custom Firewire harness to connect headers #23 to the Chenbro's front panel. This is NOT that hard, as three of the pins are ground, and the other 4 are simply Firewire signal lines A and B, plus and minus for each. You can best see it here, which also gives the standard wiring of a Firewire port. Simply match the diagram against the Chenbro's wires, and then wire to the appropriate header #23 pins on your motherboard (given on page 28 of the Asus manual). You can even cut up the Asus wiring harness to get connectors for the headers.

Also, PCC, you mentioned that you only had a single DIMM. On the nForce 2, that WILL decrease performance relative to a dual-DIMM RAM setup, but you can always add it later if you find it slow. I think that they will be pleased even with a single channel DIMM...

Future Shock

The motherboard doesnt have onbaord video... it's likely they wont be able to tell the difference between single and dual channel RAM.

Chenbro case with ASUS MB is up and running. Unfortunately Chenbro has no info on its web site to see what kind of connectors it uses or even to have for reference when putting things together and I didn't spend the time on the web to find out (don't have the time). I do have firewire on the MB and a little card that mounts in the back (without using PCI bus) and cables that go it and the MB. SO firewire is active.

In the end, I'm happy with the Chenbro, when I visit my nephews we will take the PC apart and put it back together again, I'll explain the connector issues so that they understand to do a better job then me if and when they do all the ordering.

Merry Xmas to all,

PCC

PS, I also screwed up on front audio connectors, my version of the MB does not have an audio connection for the front, my fault, I thought the one I ordered had it but it didn't. But as you all know, audio is in the back. So only the USB works in the front. Again with proper time these details can be known.