Sign in to follow this  
Ulukay

does a 64bit 66mhz 3ware fit into a 32bit 33mhz

Yes it does. I am currently using a 3Ware 7500-8 in an ASUS P4S533. You might have to pay attention to capacitors and stuff on the board as the cards back end hangs off there. I believe the 32/64 33/66 compatability is mentioned the the 3Ware manual, it basically does it all I believe.

http://scottjal.ath.cx/aboutsite.htm

Picture all the way on the bottom, but it doesn't help much.

Good link balding_ape. Never seen it broken down that well.

According to that the 7500-8 is Universal 3.3/5V 64bit

What 3Ware card you have anyway Ulukay?

According to 3Ware it doesent do 66MHz anyway(taken from users manual):

Escalade 7000 Parallel ATA Family (includes 7000-2,

7500-4, 7500-4LP, 7500-8, 7500-12)

The information in this manual also supports the following legacy

products: 7410, 7810, 7450 (now 7500-4), 7850 (now 7500-8),

and 7210.

• True Hardware RAID. Low CPU Utilization

• RAID Support. RAID 0, 1, 5, 10 and JBOD (7000-2 does not

support RAID 5)

• Drive Support. Parallel UltraDMA 133, 100, 66, 33

• Bus Type. PCI 64 bit / 33 Mhz (7000-2 is PCI 32 bit / 33 Mhz)

3Ware Motherboard Compatability: http://www.3ware.com/products/pdf/Motherbo...bility_list.pdf

If your board is on that list you are pretty much guranteed that it will work.

I just tested this yesterday with my 7810 on a K7D-L (has both the 64/66 and 32/33 pci slots) and compared benches. Although it functions fine on the 32/33 slots, the read & write speeds dropped (not drastically, but dropped regardless).

I imagine it would, but there's still nothing stopping you from churning at least 70MB/s, except your choice of drives. Don't slap WD's on it--you'll regret it if you do.

I imagine it would, but there's still nothing stopping you from churning at least 70MB/s, except your choice of drives.  Don't slap WD's on it--you'll regret it if you do.

hmm

i got 6 x WD 120GB JB for it ...

I imagine it would, but there's still nothing stopping you from churning at least 70MB/s, except your choice of drives.  Don't slap WD's on it--you'll regret it if you do.

I too am curious as to why you reccomend against WD's for the 3wares.

Personally, I dont really like WD's, but thats just personal preference. We have 3x IDE raids where I work and they are all 3ware w/WD's. They run HOT! 3 drives have failed in the last year, but I have a feeling they were all due to bad cooling.

We have a 5 year old SCSI raid with old skool cheetahs (dont know the model off hand). 0 failures in 5 years.

I too am curious as to why you reccomend against WD's for the 3wares.

Personally, I dont really like WD's, but thats just personal preference. We have 3x IDE raids where I work and they are all 3ware w/WD's. They run HOT! 3 drives have failed in the last year, but I have a feeling they were all due to bad cooling.

We have a 5 year old SCSI raid with old skool cheetahs (dont know the model off hand). 0 failures in 5 years.

It's actually 3wares recommendation, (call Tech support and ask). IIRC they recommend Maxtor...