KuKla

Poor write perfomance

Hi.

I have Promise FastTrak 150 TX2 Plus (2xSATA, 1XIDE). i have newest drivers (1.0.0.27) and my OS is Windows 2000 SP4.

My primary hard drive is Hitachi 7K250 160GB 8MB cache IDE and as slave there is IBM 180GXP 180GB 8MB cache. both drives are connected to promise controller.

And problem ? poor write performance - both of them are lazy... :unsure:

Example - copy of 700mb file takes more than 1 minute !!! even my friend with old Seagate ATA V has better results !!!

I read FAQ about SCSI write perfromance and realized, that it may help me, BUT:

1) i tried dskcache.exe but it write me, that "Error getting Write Cache value.

(1117) The request could not be performed because of an I/O device error.". on MS web page there is written that my drive probably don´t know appropriate SCSi command (drives are shown as SCSI disk in system... <_< ).

2) so i search Promise web site and i downlaoded theirs manual, where is written something about cacheconfig.exe program. so i downloaded that but it said me that write-back cache is enabled, so maximal performance is enabled... :blink:

anyone can help me ? anyone uses promise fastTrak 150TX2 plus with Win2k or XP ?

or should I "defenestrate" my controller ? i supposed that promise controllers are high-quality....maybe not ? :ph34r:

I've had that problem before with a Fastrak 100. I ended up having to re-install W2K server. It was a write-cache problem. Never figured it out as far as you did, a re-install was quicker. The only thing I did is tested the controller with a Raid 0 with 4 drives and it only achived 20MB/s writing. Then I tested it with only one drive and still only about 16MB/s writing. Put the same drive on the onboard and I was getting 41MB/s writes. I tried different PCI slots and nothing seemed to fix it, except the re-install.

You're so lucky. I had a RAID-5 volume with five 120GB WD1200JB's and it churned a tiny 8MB/s. I recently remade the volume and now it is getting even less--2-3MB/s writes.

You may wish to check PCI latency settings, my friend. Also try to assign it a lower IRQ if possible, and yes, check the write cache problem.

I would recommend getting rid of the pomise controller. If you really need a raid controller get a 3ware, otherwise use the build in mb controller.

If that isn't good enough, consider a new motherboard. The mb aren't that expensive anymore.

You don't have any SCSI drives, so ignore all the fools suggesting SCSI bugs.

Are you using RAID 0? Of course your files copies will be slow, you only have one drive. You need two drives to get fast copying.

Are both drives ATA on one channel? That will slow down things too.