Darking

16 disk Raid 50 3ware results

raid0.8disk.jpg

Raid 0 with 8 disks, somehow i couldnt get the two arrays striped, must been windows 2003 acting up

raid5.8disk.jpg

Simple hardware Raid5

raid50.16disk.jpg

Software strip of two raid 5's... around 60% CPU usage when running atto

raid50.16diskBIG.jpg

Bigger cluster size set, dont know if that'll give me real performance advantages.

Q's?

1) Whats best for me. i need to write really big files onto the harddrive (250gb files), go for the 64K cluster size? (backup exec bfc files.)

2) Its not 100% increasement, and i wonder why it kinda stops at 370MB read speed.

Darking

I had problems with Backup Exec 9 and SCSI RAID performance. I solved it by only using the Device Properties-Configuration, only check Write SCSI pass-through mode.

Block size per device: 64K

Buffer size per device: 1024K

Buffer Count: 32

High Water Count: 0

You can choose default but turn off Write Single Block Mode.

I use 64KB stripe size because of the large game files. It seemed to be best size.

When I set up RAID 10 on my LSI Logic MegaRAID 320-2, I had to do it in two steps:

Create each RAID 1 array first

Stripe each RAID 1 array together to create RAID 10.

Maybe you need to do the same on RAID 50.

1) Whats best for me. i need to write really big files onto the harddrive (250gb files), go for the 64K cluster size? (backup exec bfc files.)

2) Its not 100% increasement, and i wonder why it kinda stops at 370MB read speed.

1) Probably won't matter too much. I'm assuming you'll be backing up across the network? Even Gbit ethernet won't manage the 130-140MB/s your writing with RAID 5 or 50.

2) You may be reaching a limitation of the onboard processor of the RAID controller.