Davin

Western Digital Raptor WD740GD Preview

Eventually, there will be a 36 GB version with the new features introduced in the 74 GB version, but when they'll become available and how we'll tell the difference no-one knows (though we're assuming the model number will stay the same).

Eventually, there will be a 36 GB version with the new features introduced in the 74 GB version, but when they'll become available and how we'll tell the difference no-one knows (though we're assuming the model number will stay the same).

i have not seen anyone produce any proof that what you have stated is true

Will there be a revised 36GB version with the new features of the 72GB version? I haven't heard anything yet. If yes, how can people identify them?

Usually, HDD makers replace older platforms with the latest ones, but not always. Thus, I would expect WD to eventually make a 36 GB version based on the latest 74 GB platform, but no one knows when (or even if) this will happen.

Will there be a revised 36GB version with the new features of the 72GB version? I haven't heard anything yet. If yes, how can people identify them?

Usually, HDD makers replace older platforms with the latest ones, but not always. Thus, I would expect WD to eventually make a 36 GB version based on the latest 74 GB platform, but no one knows when (or even if) this will happen.

I got my answer from WD tech support saying "there are no plans to release a new version of the 36Gb Raptor" :(

I got my answer from WD tech support saying "there are no plans to release a new version of the 36Gb Raptor" :(

Thanks for that; I was waiting. At least we know...

Me too :( , as the 740GD is very expensive, and 36Gb is enought for a system drive, though.

Me too :( , as the 740GD is very expensive, and 36Gb is enought for a system drive, though.

I agree but seems like we don't have a choice; I'm biting the bullet...

Hi guys!

Im planning buying a raptor disk, but Im not sure which one I'll pick, yet.

As everybody else, I priorize noise level higly, and because of that, I wonder which of the disks I should choose?

The 36 GB or the 74 GB? Why?

Further, I wonder if the Silentmaxx HDD would reduce the noise of the raptordisks, and how about heat?

Would be really happy If I got some answers.

Kindest regards

Dealon

Here's the response I got when I asked if WD would release a newer version of the 36 gig Raptor.

"Response (Jason N.) 01/26/2004 09:39 AM

Eventually, the drive will be updated. I am sorry but I will not be able to provide you with the model scheme for the drives. That information is confidential."

JF

Just buy Raptor 740GD for $264 !!! (in Ukraine :) ) nice price for that drive!!!

Unbeliveble speed!!!

P4 2.4C @ Gygabyte 8I875 Ultra

1Gb RAM

WD740GD - XP NTFS system disk -- :P

Seagate Barracuda 7200.7 ST3120026AS - 2nd drive

ATI 9600 pro @ NEC 1760NX

and " DRY " as in advertising Allways :D

Now it's only $160.00 after rebate from NewEgg. :D

So, I bought a few... Yes...a few WD74GB Raptors for my office's workstations and I plan on replacing most if not all the boot drive in my office's machine (63 Units Total!) and hopes that it will speed things up a bid and get more productivities.

Regards,

2Old2Works?