Davin

Western Digital Raptor WD740GD Preview

Eugene,

I presume you mean this comment on another thread:

"RAID 0 is a bad idea to start with, but RAID 0 for your C: partition, that's downright bad, evil, satanic."

Have to agree with that one. Also like his comment:

"You spent all that money on a system used to run benchmarks?" :lol:

I sometimes wonder about the low IQ/cash ratio of some of the contributors on bulletin boards. I have to say it is generally higher on SR than most. I have learnt a great deal since I started browsing this site. :)

Actually Westcott makes a good point on the Warranty, something definitely in WD's favour. Anyway an external backup drive will have to come before a new main drive. My hard drive is worth a lot less than the data stored on it.

Do a search on CougTek's name over the last 7 days. Replied to a (laughable) post by a guy called "Sadsack" in the Computing forum on 29th November in a thread headed "Sad at my results". I think Sadsack is a classic case of more cash than brains ;)

Hey guys!

My 74GB Raptor is now in to my vendor. They shipped it to me today. I will have it on Friday!!

Can't wait!!

Atacom.com has them in stock now!!!!!!!

Get one!!

B B)

Hey guys!

My 74GB Raptor is now in to my vendor. They shipped it to me today. I will have it on Friday!!

Can't wait!!

Atacom.com has them in stock now!!!!!!!

Get one!!

B B)

Benchmarks and sound in MP3 needed!!!! B)

So..now I'm confused. Hopefully somone can explain something to me.

Luckily, cost is not a problem for me. I like to build the best and the fastest. I have currently a 7200 RPM IDE drive acting as my boot drive and a a RAID 0 Ultra 320 2 x Cheetah drives. I was always under the impression that adding more drives will speed up the RAID. Yet I always see reviews using only 2 drives under RAID 0. I realize that using RAID 5 would be more reliable, but know this would slow me down. But would RAID 5 using 5 drives kill any slowdown of speed?

Now if I convert over to Serial and get 5 WD740 drives and RAID them to 0 or 5, will that be faster than my SCSI array. One thing I have noticed in SCSI is that unlike IDE, you can read off more than 1 drive at a time on a chain.

Now, I read what u naysayers said about using RAID as a bootup device..but apart from having a RAID 0 failure, won't this be the fastest bootime ever? I would love to get some sort of Ram Drive boot, but the only company i saw making something like that went out of business and they were never able to make it bootable. I would love to get something like this: http://www.go-l.com/desktops/machl38/features/index.htm "PuRam™ Technology featured personal computer configurable WITHOUT a System Hard Drive with all operating system and program files permanently sitting a on a Flash RamDisk. It operates at the speed of the maximum available memory bandwidth up to 8.0GB/s and is capable of over 150,000 I/O requests per second, with an average of 0.0% CPU utilization. No Hard Disk design, not even 15.000RPM SCSI devices in multiple RAID cofigurations can come close to providing a fraction of the real-world performance of PuRam™ Technology. But I heard this company is bogus. Any thoughts? If u had $15,000 to build the ultimate PC, what kind of setup would you have. Many thanks for any info or thoughts.

This is odd... Newegg has the drives in stock, but lists the warranty as 1 year and offers to extend it another year for $17.

I emailed for clarification, however since its after business hours I doubt I'll get a response until Monday (at which time I expect them to be sold out).

Yes, and they found it performed as expected (i.e. very nicely, thank you).

See the computing forum for details.

More importantly, has SR got a retail model to test yet? Be sure to let us know, Eugene/Davin!

Well, I received my hard drive on Friday, but thanks to finals I wasn't able to format and install XP until today. Here's my setup:

Pentium 2.4C

Asus P4P800 Deluxe

1 GB Corsair XMSPC3200

74GB Raptor

80GB 8MB WD

30GB 5400RPM WD

Formatting the drive took much longer than I expected, but I had to use Windows XP's formatting utility and it's not exactly speedy. Actual installation went by in about 20 minutes. Boot-up speed is phenomenal: this drive trumps my IBM 15K SCSI, which is really something. I boot up with no small amount of programs, too: even with NAV, ZoneAlarm, and ATI MMC, the time between startup and my desktop is about 30 seconds. The Windows XP splash screen blinks at me--the bar doesn't even have time to do one full cycle before I'm staring at the logon box. The drive feels speedy, too: loading programs is instantaneous. Unfortunately, I haven't had a chance to load any games, but when I install Final Fantasy XI, I'll let everyone know. But now for the real treat.

Guys, this drive is silent. The people here weren't kidding: I'm running the stock HSF, four coolermaster 80mm (relatively quiet--I think they're at 15db? Maybe 20?), an Antec TruePower 480. and an ATI Radeon 9700 Pro and I cannot hear this drive spin up. This was with an open case. I thought I hadn't installed it properly, so I went into BIOS and there it was, staring back at me. Its seek times are very hollow and low: they are audible, but my case is still open. I have a feeling that once I close it, I'm not going to be able to make the sound out. I did a temperature check after closing the tower and the temperature difference was negligable--although this may be because I have a lot of quiet cooling.

I don't know how reliable this drive will be, but so far I am extremely impressed by it, especially its acoustics. I was worried I'd be dealing with another buzzsaw-seek drive, but this is unbelievably quiet. It's got my thumbs up.

Spec

I guess I must have got a lemon cause while there's no idle noise at all from this drive, its seek noise sounds like it's chewing gravel. The seek noise is WAY

louder than my old IBM deathstar. When I say it's seek noise is loud, I mean you can hear it grinding from 10-12 feet away with the case closed. It's easily the loudest drive I've ever heard when it's accessing data.

I've got a Seagate Barrcuda that you can not even hear iding or seeking.

So my advice is this, don't get this drive if you can't handle listening to it chew gravel when it's accessing data.

Other than the access noise it's great. I really think there must be something wrong with mine, cause the access noise is just insane.

I guess I must have got a lemon cause while there's no idle noise at all from this drive, its seek noise sounds like it's chewing gravel.  The seek noise is WAY

louder than my old IBM deathstar.  When I say it's seek noise is loud, I mean you can hear it grinding from 10-12 feet away with the case closed.  It's easily the loudest drive I've ever heard when it's accessing data.

While the seek noise with the WD740GD Raptor is definitely audible, I don’t find it loud or annoying. Granted, my drive is placed in a NoVibe frame so that might account for some reduction in seek noise, but on the other hand I’m fairly picky about noise having been used to a totally silent Seagate Barracuda IV (and using a water cooled PC B) ).

I was more anxious about idle noise and feared a high pitched whine :wacko:, but there is none of that so I’m quite happy with this brand new baby. :)

I guess I must have got a lemon cause while there's no idle noise at all from this drive, its seek noise sounds like it's chewing gravel.  The seek noise is WAY

louder than my old IBM deathstar.  When I say it's seek noise is loud, I mean you can hear it grinding from 10-12 feet away with the case closed.  It's easily the loudest drive I've ever heard when it's accessing data.

I have to agree with you. You must have a lemon.

My 36gb is quiet, I can only imagine how quiet the 74gb is when operating properly.

I'm so glad that I did a simple search on Google that led me to this site.

I have been on the lookout for a site that reviews hard/software (with the all important "trenches" feedback) for quite a while.

I'm been fighting a losing battle with our SCSI controlled dat4 tape drive. It gets up to about 30.4GB and wants another tape to finish. Every three months its back to archiving any projects that haven't been worked on for the past three months, so the tape drive can do a complete run.

That's the preamble to why I'm so excited by the reviews I've just read tonight. I'm in the midst of selling the Raptor to my boss. After these comments my job has gotten so much easier.

I figure I can get two Raptors. One for our File Server and the other to live in a workstation to act as a ghost drive for those catastrophic server failures.

Now my question is...

Has anyone installed a Raptor in a Server scenario?

I understand the whole 'need for speed' thing.

I've been known to spend oodles on hardware just because it was the 'cutting edge' at the time.

However, how can you justify spending close to $300 on this drive when you can purchase a Deskstar 7k250 for $78 ?

Both are in the 80GB arena. The deskstar had the leaderboard spot here, so you know it's a decent drive. I just cannot understand spending 4x as much for a marginal gain. Double maybe, triple for the hardcore, but not 4x - that's just ludicrous.

You could get two deskstars, raid stripe them, and probably beat the performance of a single WD while spending half the money. The money you save could afford you a new mobo with raid serial-ata.

just my 2 cents...

However, how can you justify spending close to $300 on this drive when you can purchase a Deskstar 7k250 for $78 ?

just my 2 cents...

It is easy to justify. I bought several IBM\Hitachi Deskstars in the past and they all failed miserably. To add salt to the wound, they have watered down their warranties and have no interest in making it right with all those with failed drives.

I guess that is why there is a class action suit against IBM and that is why in their marketing wisdom sold to Hitachi, hoping the average dumb as* would not know the difference.

They would not get another penny of mine no matter what they cost!!!!!

I guess that is why there is a class action suit against IBM and that is why in their marketing wisdom sold to Hitachi, hoping the average dumb as* would not know the difference.

They would not get another penny of mine no matter what they cost!!!!!

Correction, they sold two thirds interest. They still own a part of the Hitachi drive division.

Will there be a revised 36GB version with the new features of the 72GB version? I haven't heard anything yet. If yes, how can people identify them?