Davin

Western Digital Raptor WD740GD Preview

a22jer, you would be better off making a new topic in the Computing forum for a good response to that question. And besides, we would need more details on the usage of the drives in your organization to make any good suggestions.

After reading lots of articles on server v single user optimization

I've led myself to belief that the two are mutually exclusive.

If in fact one is not after server performance, will adding TCQ

degrade single user performance?

If in fact one is not after server performance, will adding TCQ

degrade single user performance?

TCQ improves performance by performing I/Os out of order. This can have a significant positive effect on highly random I/O, but it wouldn't have the same benefit in desktop usage patterns. However, there's no reason to think it would reduce performance. It just means that there's less opportunities for more efficiently sorting the commands.

The final WD740GD is already available at some of the vendors for about $300, so why don't we see a final review? There are lots of important questions around this drive B)

I'm thinking of upgrading all old scsi storage subsystems with 3ware serial controllers along with these 2nd generation Raptor drives in 8 servers.

Might want to check out the controller comparison review at Tom's Hardware today. Looks like the RaidCORE controller (startup of former Adaptec and Quantum employees) has the potential to leave 3ware in the dust.

http://www.tomshardware.com/storage/20031114/index.html

I really think that drive access time and reduction is drive latency are the important issues here! TCQ and other features that are like deserve to stay on where they originated, hence scsi!.  i think that all the hype over scsi features in ATA is all just that -- hype! Is anyone, gonna really notice these features in ata, scsi definitely, not ATA.  So yes, WD, tweaks firmware (maybe / maybe not), so they lose some I/O, bid DEAL! All the really counts that the drive delivers a great 5 year warranty (like scsi) and that the cost is comparable to regular ATA 7.2k drives currently in circulation!

I don't see how $4/gig for the Raptor is at all comparable to ~$1/gig for most 7.2k ATA drives if you don't care about performance. An older generation 10k SCSI drive would be better if you want a 5 year warranty with a decent price for capacity.

Hehe, and i get my hard drives for $0.50/gig or even $0.40/gig. jUst picked up a seagate 120 ultra for $60 after rebate.

I don't see how $4/gig for the Raptor is at all comparable to ~$1/gig for most 7.2k ATA drives if you don't care about performance. An older generation 10k SCSI drive would be better if you want a 5 year warranty with a decent price for capacity.

Are they really? For single-user situations, I'm not seeing a value against 10K SCSI.

Seagate 10K.6 68-pin, 73.4G is about $340, as is the Maxtor Atlas 10K IV. Wholesale I'm expecting the 74G Raptor to come in at about $270-280 upon debut.

Granted, older disks like a 73.4G Maxtor Atlas 10K III can be had for $250, but now you need to also figure in the cost of a SCSI controller, whereas SATA controllers can be had on a mainstream motherboard, and is expected on a premium desktop board.

Now, you could get a 73.4G Maxtor Atlas 10K II for like... $150 or $160, but again, figure in the price of a controller, and the 10K II's performance is a far cry from a 10K.6 or an Atlas 10K IV.

Right now, the 74G Raptor is looking attractive.

----- -----

I think for now, I'd still use SCSI in budget servers. I'm already requiring a SCSI controller to stick in a DDS-4 tape drive, so I might as well make it dual channel and mirror two 36.7GB 10K.6s in software. But Serial ATA is starting to look more and more attractive every day. If WD can work out the small issues, I'm going to start looking that way, especially when we'll be able to address multiple drives on a single SATA port.

Right now I'm running two WD 40 gig JB's in RAID 0. My question is, would I notice any real time speed difference if I switched to running just one of these drives in a non-raid configuration? I mean, $300 is alot to spend if its not going to be a substantial difference! I'm thinking of running one of these as my OS drive and using the 2 WD's for mass storage.

Thanks for any "educated" opinions,

JF

IT7Max2 Ver2

P4 2.4b at 3.07

512 megs of Corsair XMS 3500

2 WD 40 gig SE's in RAID 0

Geforce 2 Pro

Samsung CDRW

DangerDen Maze4

169w Peltier

Blueline HD pump

Serck radiator

2 EBM 6 3/4" 115v fans

130v 7.9 amp Variac

custom built reservoir

Artic Silver Ceramique

16.7 amp power supply (Sola GLS-02-200)

SkyHawk Aluminum Case

Right now I'm running two WD 40 gig JB's in RAID 0. My question is, would I notice any real time speed difference if I switched to running just one of these drives in a non-raid configuration?  I mean, $300 is alot to spend if its not going to be a substantial difference! I'm thinking of running one of these as my OS drive and using the 2 WD's for mass storage.

yes, you would notice a difference. raided jbs are still going to only be as snappy as a singular jb, and have increased str (which many of us have observed has little to no effect on desktop usage). a single raptor is going to be much snappier. it has a faster rotational speed, aggressive firmware optimizations, and fast service times.

I am going to wait before I form an opinion on the new Raptor myself. I would like to see Storage Review do a review on the 74GB Raptor when the Drive goes to retail.

When and if, WDC puts the queing in the Raptor it will make it a sweet hard drive to have. :P

BTW, I own a 36GB Raptor for my home computer and I am adding them to the high-end workstations at work. I am very impressed in the speed the 36GB drive has. If the 74GB hard drive stays at or has a higher benchmarks I'll be purchasing them.

Remeber guys Backup your data,

Dear ------,

Thank you for contacting NewEgg.com.

The WD 74GB Raptor will be in stock around the middle of next month, but we do not have an exact ETA at this time. We do not have ETAs for new items until after we receive the first shipment. Once we receive the initial order, we can more accurately estimate future deliveries. Generally it takes us about 2-8 weeks to receive new merchandise once it has been released to the public, due to the nature of supply and demand. Please continue to check all prices and availability at www.newegg.com for our most up-to-date status. Any item that is removed from our website usually will be out of stock for longer than 2 weeks.

If you have any further questions or concerns, please visit our FAQs page or just drop us a line and we'd be happy to assist you.

Thanks for writing and have a pleasant day. Kindest regards.

If you'd like to read or post a testimonial about our services, please click here.

Thank you,

Jeff Johnston, Senior Agent

* jeffjohnston@newegg.com

NewEgg Customer Support

( Tel: 800-390-1119 ext. 125

) Fax: 909-395-8907

Hey guys......

I ordered my Raptor 74GB from www.atacom.com today for $309.99.......ETA is December 3rd....I talked to a guy there after placing the order and he said that ETA is right on....!!!! ;)

So check it out....if all goes right (2-Day shipping) I'll have mine on Friday!! to mate with my 36GB Raptor....... :rolleyes:

B B)

I have 2 WD360s in a raid 0. They are really fast. The whine is no worse than the 7200 rpm maxtors I had in there before. You can hear them spin up, and at first they are a bit louder, but then it quiets down. With the side on my case, I virtually can't tell any difference. The new 74gb model tempted me, and 2 of those in a raid would be faster than what I have, but the price doesn't justify how much space I actually use. I have about 70gb with these 2 in a raid 0, and it works great! I've never seen a windows install go that fast =D

I have just done a (very crude) cost/benefit analysis of upgrading my main hard disk. I currently have a 60Gb Maxtor D740X and am considering either going straight to the (SATA) top and buying the new 10k rpm 74Gb WD or saving lots of cash and buying an 80Gb Hitachi 7K250 SATA. Both offer more than enough capacity for my use so looking at the performance improvement only.

My method was to work out the % improvement in each SR benchmark and work out an average improvement in each category (low level, Desktop/Workstation,Winbench and Server Suite). I then took the cost of each drive and worked out the cost per percentage point improvement.

The cheapest price in the UK pre-ordering the new WD is about £200 and the Hitachi is about £64.

Results are as follows:

Low Level Suite

Average Improvement = WD 93%, Hitachi 37%

Cost per % = WD £2.15, Hitachi £1.72

Desktop/Workstation

Average Improvement = WD 100%, Hitachi 60%

Cost per % = WD £1.99, Hitachi £1.07

ZD Winbench 99

Average Improvement = WD 64%, Hitachi 47%

Cost per % = WD £3.13 Hitachi £1.35

Server Suite

Average Improvement = WD 56%, Hitachi 2.6%

Cost per % = WD £3.59, Hitachi £24.17

Looking at the low level suite the WD looks good, but this shows the danger of simple benchmarking. The low level suite ignores the benefits of improved firmware and the 8mb of cache. I use my PC mainly in the Desktop/Workstation and Winbench Apps categories. On a value for money basis the Hitachi trounces the WD with roughly half the cost per percentage point improvement. Lucky I am not running a server as moving to the Hitachi will give almost no performance improvement This shows the effect of firmware optimisation.

There is no rush, so as things stand I won’t be pre-ordering the WD. But once its price falls below £125 it starts to make more sense.

What do others think of my methodology? How does value for money figure in your decision whether or not to upgrade?

Well, if you took two WD 36GB units in raid 0 for a cost of about $240 and you have an integrated SATA on your mobo, you would get premium performance for less than the 74GB and the same storage. You would lose mtbf and command queing, but not a large performance hit for desktop\gaming apps.

The tables you use do not take into consideration human nature. Performance has never been about saving money. Computers or otherwise.

I also seem to have missed the weighting on warranty. With my share of hard drive failures (read as IBM\Hitachi), this is becoming more and more of a factor in deciding who I am going to do business with. Five years on the Raptor only solidifies my renewed allegiance. Time will tell if this is a good decision.

The tables you use do not take into consideration human nature. Performance has never been about saving money. Computers or otherwise.

No, I do not model human nature here. It is simply a crude effort to get a handle on "value for money" to help me through my own decision making process.

Not everyone has unlimited resources to pursue "performance" whatever the cost. I am interested in improving the general responsiveness of my computer but, like most people, have limited cash. I am limited to about £300 ($500) a year to spend on my PC. You will see from the spec below that I could do with a new mobo and memory, but I reckon the hard-drive is a bigger bottleneck at the moment and so am looking at that angle first.

I find the biggest frustrations most people (read "wife") have with their computer are the time to bootup, the time to load apps and the time web-pages take to load. A better hard drive can improve the first two immensely and even help the latter via the web-cache.

Interesting idea about the Raid option. The problem with Raid 0 is the setup hassles and reduced reliability. Over here the cost of 2x36gb Raptor and 1x74gb is about the same. I would much rather have one drive for the same performance and better reliability.

Guest Eugene
Well, if you took two WD 36GB units in raid 0 for a cost of about $240 and you have an integrated SATA on your mobo, you would get premium performance for less than the 74GB and the same storage. You would lose mtbf and command queing, but not a large performance hit for desktop\gaming apps.

To me this implies that the poster believes 2x old Raptors > 1 new Raptor.

Guest Eugene

As harsh as CougTek's recent comments may seem to many, the vast majority of readers would be well served to observe and learn :P