Piyono

Safe To Delete WINNT Folder After XP Upgrade?

I just installed XP Pro over top of Windows 2000 Pro, and the c:\WINNT folder still exists. I can't rename it so I'm wondering if it's safe to delete.

Takers?

Piyono

I just installed XP Pro over top of Windows 2000 Pro, and the c:\WINNT folder still exists. I can't rename it so I'm wondering if it's safe to delete.

Takers?

Piyono

I'm not sure; I am wondering why you didn't do a clean install? It may alleviate problems in the future.

Why would you delete \WINNT? That is where XP is installed.

I can't rename it so I'm wondering if it's safe to delete.

If you can't rename it, then you certainly can't delete it...

-- Rick

Ok, for starters, I didn't do the upgrade, my client had a friend do it while I was out of town. If it was in my hands it would have been a fresh install.

The system root on this computer has a "Windows" folder that seems to contain an operating system. Why would XP upgrade install into the "WINNT "folder? And if so, why create a "Windows" folder at all?

Piyono

The system root on this computer has a "Windows" folder that seems to contain an operating system. Why would XP upgrade install into the "WINNT "folder? And if so, why create a "Windows" folder at all?

Hmm... Can you go through the \Windows files and see if most of the important files are there? Try looking especially for the same files and different dates. For example, if it's Win2k, you may have an ntfs.sys created on Nov 11, 1999, whereas for WinXP, you may have an ntfs.sys created on Feb 8, 2002

I was under the impression that XP was using \WINNT, but I didn't know there was a \Windows folder as well... Assuming you never had Win 9x on there, that is probably XP's system folder.

Try looking especially for the same files and different dates.

...between \Windows and \WINNT, that is... do a file compare between the two folders.

Try looking especially for the same files and different dates.

...between \Windows and \WINNT, that is... do a file compare between the two folders.

But dawg.... It's all a bit moot, isn't it? If he can't rename it, then he certainly can't delete it....

--Rick

I guess... I was just curious as to which folder was the main active XP system folder. And since he's one of the few people i know who's in a position to investigate... inquiring minds want to know :)

Having said that, he may not be able to rename or delete \WINNT within the Explorer shell, but he can always delete the folder from another OS or system that is able to read/write NTFS.

... and if the XP partition were only FAT32, he could use DOS boot disk and just type deltree \WINNT. Done.

or try to delete it from safe mode... command line... recovery console... winPE... another winNT based computer...

I guess... I was just curious as to which folder was the main active XP system folder. And since he's one of the few people i know who's in a position to investigate... inquiring minds want to know :)

The reliable way to find that out is to open up a cmd window and type "set SystemRoot".

I'm pretty sure his SystemRoot is Windows, unless, of course, this computer at one time had win98 which was upgraded to WinNt, which was upgraded to XP. At that point I think that he would have an old Windows directory from Win9x, and a newly upgraded WinNt directory. But "set SystemRoot" will tell the story.

-- Rick

Indeed. Piyono's move now :)

or echo %systemroot%, or "set s"...

Upgrades ALWAYS install into the same systemroot, so it'll be \WINNT.

My guess is some crap-ass software created the windows folder when it wanted to write there instead of "%windir% or %systemroot%.

You could also look at boot.ini, or run MSINFO32.

-Z