dr.ralph

Should I sell my 4 15K.3 and buy 4 WDRaptor 74GB ?

I'm in two minds - the new Raptor 74GB from WD has got some excellent benchmarks - and in many ways beats the hell out of the 15K.3 SCSI drive.

Only the seek time of the 15K.3 SCSI disk is still clearly better than the seek time of the Raptor 74GB.

But as I run 4 15K.3's in RAID 0 (2 on each scsi channel) the noise level is also of some impotence to me - that's why I did choose the 15K.3 over the marginally faster 15K SCSI disks from both Maxtor and Fujitsu, the 15K.3 drive is both more quitet idle as running and also generates a lot less heat.

But then comes all of a sudden the new Raptor 74GB SATA - strikingly fast and almost noiseless while idle (40,7 db idle).

This makes me consider whether or not I should go for the new Raptor, which seems much faster than the old raptor 36GB.

I could sell my SCSI controller card (Adaptec 39320-R) and my 4 15K.3 36 GB SCSI drives and get enough money to buy 4 Raptor 74GB and run them the same way as I ran my 4 SCSI drives (2 x 2 raid0)

Would you even consider doing this - in theory I would lower the overall noiselevel of my system and I would get the double amount of space for the same money - but on the other hand I would loose the faster seek time of the SCSI drives ?

But I really do not need that much extra space - I already own two Maxtor Maxline II PLus 250 GB SATA drives which I run in RAID 1 for backup purpose and mass storage - but still the extra added space would not hurt - and the overall noise level would go down.

What would you do ?

PS I edit quite a lot of small video productions and do graphical work in Photoshop/Illustator/Dreamweaver.

Maybe SCSI drives is still better suited for this than SATA is ?

I'm not sure, but that thing is darn slow for File server performance against 10K SCSI drives no matter what. But as you do small Video editing and Photoshop, this doesn't require much I/O power from the Hard Drive so pretty much SCSI looses here as it puts its efforts for high end I/O work loads, like server performance.

Anyways, Hyper Micro is selling 15k3 36GB drives for $199!!, that deal takes me away from buying the new Raptor.

Anyways, Hyper Micro is selling 15k3 36GB drives for $199!!, that deal takes me away from buying the new Raptor.

Wow...that's cheap :blink:

But I still can't make up my mind - stick with the 4 15K.3's - or gor for the Raptor 74GB SATA.

Guess I'll have to wait for some more benchmarks on the new Raptor 74GB - and if these benchmarks show the same incredible results as the results on STR - then I think I just might go for the 4 Raptors 74GB.....or maybe not :ph34r:

Dr. Ralph,

Would it be quieter? Yes

Would it give you more capacity? Yes

Would it hurt performance? Yes

Would you notice the noise reduction? Yes

Would you notice the capacity increase? Yes

Would you notice the performance hit? Maybe? Probably not.

Just my opinion.....

Dr. Ralph,

Would it be quieter? Yes

Just my opinion.....

Please....you have to SPELL this out for me.... :rolleyes: ....and your conclusion is........?

How do we go about getting this deal? I see the 18GB version for $199 and the 36GB for $285.

The 15k.3 36GB units for $189 are Refurbs with a 1 year warranty.

I've been resisting the urge to buy. But knowing that my 1st gen X15 is still under warranty lets me have happy thoughts all day. :D

Soooooo you save ~$100 and give up 4 years of warranty.

DogEared

Maybe a more important question regarding your computer usage is whether you multi-task those resource hungry apps?

Do you like to let Photoshop chew on a file / some files (batch) while you edit video?

Or (like me) switch between fragging and Photoshop? Or print photos while you play a game?

(( Apparently I generate enough random I/O that the 36GB raptor I have is significantly slower than my Cheetah X15 ))

If you're a single-task kind of person, then the Raptors are the way to go.

I would wait for a full review though before you dump and jump like that.

Personally I think you're nuts to give up those 15ks.....unless you are willing to part with the whole setup for 10 cents on the dollar. :P

DogEared

Surely it boils down to cost and what you are using the PC for. An equivalent 10k SCSI drive such as the Atlas IV 10k at about £300 is about 50% more expensive and you have to factor in an interface card of around £200-£300.

A 4 x SATA Raid 0 could be set up with the right motherboard at no extra interface card cost. Therefore 4 x £200 = £800 for the Raptor 74gb raid setup or 4 x £300 +£200 = £1400 for the SCSI option.

A 10k SCSI drive is about 15-20% slower at desktops apps and about 30% faster at heavy IO/server taks.

Unless you are actually running a server, the extra IO power is almost certainly not worth the cash, then again, not much point in running a 4 x raid 0 setup unless it is a server either.

What most people think of as "multi-tasking" is having several apps open at the same time, for which more memory is more important than fast hard drive. Few people bother to do anything as daft as to rendering videos while on-line fragging ;) Gives me a headache just thinking about it!

The majority of buyers of this disk will be using them either singly or in a 2 x Raid 0 setup in desktop PC's. In this configuration they are likely to be the best value option by a mile.

beats the hell out of the 15K.3 SCSI drive.

how so?

the places where either on win, most wins are by a small margin

trust me you won't care with what you're doing

stick with what you have

If you don't need the storage space and if the 15k3's aren't too loud I wouldn't bother.

Chances are you'd be sorry this time next year because you sold them. If you run that many drives SCSI is your friend. (4 SCSI disks, 2 SATA disks and probably one or two opticals) I don't know any affordable and decent SATA PCI controllers that can use half a dozen devices. For the forseeable future SCSI controllers will also be better supported than PCI IDE controllers. I'd rather trust Adaptec and LSI than Promise or Highpoint. Whatever, you SCSI controller can use 30 devices which is A Nice Thing for one who uses many disks like you do.

What most people think of as "multi-tasking" is having several apps open at the same time, for which more memory is more important than fast hard drive.  Few people bother to do anything as daft as to rendering videos while on-line fragging ;) Gives me a headache just thinking about it!

The majority of buyers of this disk will be using them either singly or in a 2 x Raid 0 setup in desktop PC's.  In this configuration they are likely to be the best value option by a mile.

My example was meant as an extreme. B) And game performance rarely suffered due to single-threaded games and higher screen resolutions.

My raptor-based system was built just for games...and for the most part seems to be faster than than the X15. ( The raptor is in a 2.8GHz @ 3.2GHz P4 system and the X15 is in a 2x PIII system. ) I actually plan on adding another 36GB Raptor to make a non-RAID (RAID 0 or AID array?) array.

So....desktop/gaming + raptor == lots of goodness.

Regarding my raptor test, I "put the screws to it" to see if IDE and HyperThreading were "as robust" as I'd heard.

Now that I have two PCs again, I doubt I will be playing, printing photos and burning DVD/CDs simultaneously on the same machine. At least I don't think so. :D

Unless there is some underlying reason to dump the SCSI system, I wouldn't do it.

If you were buying *new* drives then I would say go for the Raptors.

DogEared

Dr. Ralph,

Would it be quieter? Yes

Just my opinion.....

Please....you have to SPELL this out for me.... :rolleyes: ....and your conclusion is........?

Just in case you were serious...... :rolleyes:

The factors that will improve you will certainly appreciate. The factors that may decrease you probably will not. Make the switch.

Thanks for all your replies.

I'm still not 100% sure - will wait and check out some new reviews of the SATA Raptor 74GB - but will probably keep my 4 15K.3's and wait for 15K.4 to arrive - anyone wants to make a guess for an expected release date of the 15K.4 drives :lol:

I have 6 harddrrives and 4 optical drives in my system right now - think it's a good idea to keep the 4 15K.3 SCSI drives on the separate SCSI controller to relieve total pressure on the system.

I'm still not 100% sure - will wait and check out some new reviews of the SATA Raptor 74GB - but will probably keep my 4 15K.3's and wait for 15K.4 to arrive - anyone wants to make a guess for an expected release date of the 15K.4 drives  :lol:

Probably will ship during the same quarter as the Cheetah X20! B)

Mmmmmmmm..... 20k rpm.

DogEared

--I'm waiting for the formal review myself.

I'm still not 100% sure - will wait and check out some new reviews of the SATA Raptor 74GB - but will probably keep my 4 15K.3's and wait for 15K.4 to arrive - anyone wants to make a guess for an expected release date of the 15K.4 drives  :lol:

Probably will ship during the same quarter as the Cheetah X20! B)

Mmmmmmmm..... 20k rpm.

DogEared

--I'm waiting for the formal review myself.

Are you serious - are 20K harddrives on their way to us :P

Wow.....will be very interesting if Seagate can keep the noise and heat level down on par with the 15K.3's.

If they succeed in doing so, I would be very interested in buying 4 of these drives - if not I'll go for the 15K.4's. Won't tolerate more noise and heat than my current 4 15K.3's produces.

What's so funny to me is that, in 4 years the 36/74GB Raptor will pretty much be crap compared to the 15.3k if you still use them, because the programs will be so intence in I/O and the Cheetah just makes circles around those drives for that.

What's so funny to me is that, in 4 years the 36/74GB Raptor will pretty much be crap compared to the 15.3k if you still use them, because the programs will be so intence in I/O and the Cheetah just makes circles around those drives for that.

that's assuming there aren't any I/O intensive tasks in the first place

Sorry, consider me ignorant.....what? Why? How? Do you forsee Raptors slowing down in the future? :rolleyes:

On the top of this page under "performance database" ;)