sunama

Western Digital 1600PB

i think ive answered my own question.

the PB suffix means fluid bearings, so quieter operation. but i wonder how reliable these are compared to the normal JB drives.

has anyone got a PB drive, if so are they really quieter?

Hi sunama, the limited experience I've had of fluid bearing drives is that they are significantly quieter. In particular the high-pitched whine is all but removed and they don't get louder as they get older either. Many HDDs are using fluid bearings now and Seagate even uses them in its top of the range 15K SCSI drive so there shouldn't be any reliability problems.

Western Digital has only just started to use FDBs so info is rather thin on the ground at the moment but its very likely the drives will be quieter and with no significant disadvantages apart from, possibly, price!

Seb

thanx for the info seb. if and when i buy one of these things, i shall let you know my opinions.

to be honest, i watercool my hard disks; this i do in order for me to run the hard disks wrapped in denim. this in turn, quietens the hard disks to such a point where i can no longer hear them at all. this works on very loud hard disks. so really, noise isnt really an issue here. however, i was thinking of perhaps buying a hard disk and a removable hard disk rack, in which case, i will need a quiet hard disk.