nottestuser

Laptop drives, Hitachi 5k80 or Seagate Momentus?

I've been looking for something to give my Crusoe-based P2120 a boost and I'm torn between the Seagate Momentus and the Hitachi 5k80. I can't find anyone who's reviewed the two of them against each other nor can I find anywhere that's used methods similar enough to allow me to extrapolate based on a third drive.

Has anyone seen these two drives compared? Anyone have them? From the individual reviews, I can tell that the heat/power/noise will be fine with either but how about speed?

We've had the opportunity to test both drives at work.

The 8MB cache Momentus (it comes in 2MB and 8MB) is faster in WinBench Biz, by over 10% and HE by 2% (not a significant difference here) (oops, sorry Eugene, WinBench is not to be mentioned here) than the HGST one, but 6% slower in STR.

Random reads are faster with Momentus, while random writes are faster with HGST. This is probably due to the much larger "average seek time" of the HGST drive.

Yéti

Thanks for the response. Office apps and not video editing are what I use this machine for so it sounds like the momentus will be worth tracking down.

The Seagate Momentus has been tested to be the fastest 5400 rpm notebook drive on the planet.

The Seagate Momentus has been tested to be the fastest 5400 rpm notebook drive on the planet.

Are the test results online?

One issued mentioned for the Momentus in xbitlab's review was that it wouldn't properly fit into their Toshiba laptop's drive cage (no such issues with Hitachi, Toshiba, and Fujitsu 2.5"/9.5mm drives). I think it had something to do with an overhanging part of the top metal lid. Anyways, something to check into before purchasing.

The 7K60 works very well in a P5010D. :D It is surprisingly quiet, though not quite as silent as the 80GN. Is the Monumentous an 80GB drive? I was thinking about getting a 5K80 as a compromise between the 4200 RPM 80GN and 7200 RPM 7K60 if I buy a second P.

We've had the opportunity to test both drives at work.

The 8MB cache Momentus (it comes in 2MB and 8MB) is faster in WinBench Biz, by over 10% and HE by 2% (not a significant difference here) (oops, sorry Eugene, WinBench is not to be mentioned here) than the HGST one, but 6% slower in STR.

Random reads are faster with Momentus, while random writes are faster with HGST. This is probably due to the much larger "average seek time" of the HGST drive.

Yéti

Thanks, that's the first I've seen of a direct Momentus vs. 5K80 comparison.

Looking at the published specs, Momentus has a nice 2ms edge in access time over the 5K80 (10ms vs. 12ms). The rest look pretty even, with both using 40GB platters. Hitachi published slightly lower noise numbers than Seagate, but I'm sure both are about as quiet as you can get for a 2.5" drive (as long as you stick with the single platter versions).

As for availability, the only Momentus I can find for sale online (in the US) is the 20GB version for $99 shipped. The 40GB 5K80 goes for $139 shipped. Anyone find the 40GB Momentus on sale online?

Is the Monumentous an 80GB drive?  I was thinking about getting a 5K80 as a compromise between the 4200 RPM 80GN and 7200 RPM 7K60 if I buy a second P.

The Momentus currently tops out at 40GB, although I'd bet on Seagate releasing 60GB and 80GB versions in the future.

As I'm sure you already know, the 5K80 comes in an 80GB flavor and sells in the mid $200 range.