Darking

It has arrived!

Finally some of my order for my new storage system has arrived.

640x426-DSCN1215.JPG

Presenting... 17 Maxtor +9 200GB SATA, 2 Maxtor Atlas IV 36Gb. and some other stuff like 2gb ram, cd-rom and intel motherboard and cpu.. yum yum

Darking

Its in the mail, a Enermax Eg851ax-vh 660 Watt EPS Powersupply. I kinda decided that i didnt need redundant powersupply, so im planning to kick out the old 400watt atx, which doesnt even follow EPS specifications.

The list is as follow:

1 x Intel 2.8ghz Xeon

1 x Intel SE7501BR1 Motherboard

2 x 1 GB Kingston PC2100 ECC

16 x 200GB Maxtor +9 SATA disks (one in spare in case of a raid5 failure)

2 x 36 GB Maxtor Atlas IV 10K

2 x 3Ware Escalade 8506-8

6 x 3Ware RDC300-SATA, 3 in 2 drivecases.

1 x Chieftec JS2000 servercase

1 x plextor CD-rom drive.

1 x 3000VA UPS (old used compaq)

Pictures will arrive here as i get the things in the mail, and assemble the beast.

If all goes well i will have it assembled at around the 3-4th of November.

Darking

Backup of Pr0n ;)

Nah its for backup-to-disk, so i can make faster restores of a pretty fast growing backup system (tape systems are sooo slow), itll still have a tape station connected, but it'll only be used once a week.

300gb backups a day, incremental or differental backups not wanted.

btw it costs about 10.000 USD all in all i guess. 75.000 Dkr.

Darking

Im a systems administrator/network administrator at a smaller (350 ppl) company in denmark. its mostly gonna be flat files of databases. Veritas backup exec is the program of choice.

And my boss didnt want to buy a 100K SAN solution(wich wouldnt have given half the storage capacity), so i said id' try to do it for 10K, its more of an experiement than anything else... size over performance, thus SATA

And i will test them all trust me ;)

Darking

Over Current Protection

+3.3V:55A max

+ 5V : 48A max

+12V :20A max

I hope you have enough 12V Output Current for all those drives and components. If 20A is maximum for +12V, you would not be able to power all that hardware off of this supply unless those hard drives uses very low +12V current load, 17 drives would need to draw under 0.5A @ +12V.

I am using a PC Power and Cooling 510A4 with Turbo Cool 2X power supply cooler:

+5V @ 40A

+12V @ 34A, 38A pk

-5V @ 0.3A

-12V @ 2A

+3.3V @ 30A

+5VSB @ 3A

power<510W

peak power<650W

PC Power and Cooling state 12 drives and dual board on this supply. If it turns on and shuts off within a minute or so. It is probably the current protection. My PCP&C 450A4 had this feature. Can you make them external?

well they cost alot more than a single 660watt. about 2-3 times as much here.

if that one cant deliver, im just gonna return it, i was promised it shouldnt be a problem.

Darking

And i will test them all trust me ;)

After testing them all and passing with flying colors.

What do you say to install D²OL on it as well? :rolleyes:

C'mon, don't let the beast just idle... ;)

I was salivating about your setup. I could use a 3.4TB archival unit. I just added a 1TB myself. But then I saw you got an Intel Xeon processor. Yuck... Not meaning to start a AMD vs Intel flame war though...

I might be old fashioned, but for servers i go Intel. Thats just the way its ment to be ;)

regarding D²OL , it doesnt seem to work behind our firewall, tho i havnt actually looked that much into why it doesnt.

Darking

Well i must admit i was actually looking at the Opteron CPU and Motherboard, but decided against it since i wanted to spend less, not more on that side of the system. In reality i doubt i'll ever use the cpu to its full advantage execpt with D²OL maybe.

In denmark atleast the Opteron is still around 100$ more expensive than a Xeon. <_<

Darking

mmmm More stuffs have arrived now... just waiting for the for the 660watt powersupply :)

640x426-DSCN1364.JPG

Pictures shows 6 x Noname disk cages, with 16 SATA disks inside, plus two 8506-8 Escalade controllers.

640x426-DSCN1367.JPG

The disk cages have 6 leds, first power, second fan alert, third temp alert, and 3 disk access leds.

640x426-DSCN1368.JPG

Simple drive cage.

640x426-DSCN1371.JPG

True SATA connectors baby!!, no molex here.

640x426-DSCN1372.JPG

Not so true SATA here ;) two molex connectors, and 3 SATA data connectors.

Questions:

1) Anybody got any idea who made my disk cages?? I cant find any info on the firm, either on the papers, packaging or anything.

2) Aint it Sweet!!

Darking

Those cages are just what I need for a project I am about to do myself. I too would be appreciative if anyone could give any information of them (Or other perhaps branded ones that were similar.

Those cages have a horrible cooling design, and they can turn out to be loud due to the the way they have to suck the air in, but ilike their design and the way it's made, just the cooling method isn't good.

I prefer the 5-drive SATA cages made by supermicro. It fits in 3x 5.25" bays and supports 5 drives. Cost is around $350. Available on newegg

i would too, execpt for one thing, if i need to utilize the maximum amount of disks in my JS2000 case, i need to use 3in2's since there are these slots of 4x 5.25", and then a case stabiliszer, then another 4x5.25", then a stabilizer and then another 4x5.25" in each side.

Noise for me isnt really an issuse, its not like its gonna sit under my desk. as long as it provides good cooling, wich i dont think will be a problem, considering id'll have somthing like 14 80mm fans and two 120 mm fans, in my case.

640x426-DSCN1363.JPG

This pictures shows the intel 12x13" SSI sized motherboard, wich only fills up like 1/2 the hieght, 1/2 the depth and 1/100000th of the width ;)

Darking