Darking

It has arrived!

Hey Darking.....awaiting your first impressions of the Enermax 851 660watt PSU - please post them here ASAP B)

My Enermax 851 PSU arrives on friday - I'm really excited about how it will work in my system.

I prefer the 5-drive SATA cages made by supermicro. It fits in 3x 5.25" bays and supports 5 drives. Cost is around $350. Available on newegg

Don't suppose they do a 3 drive model? (I'll go check...) Nope. Shame. :(

That case will sure look interesting with 16 S-ATA cables coming off those 2 cards...where is that SCSI cable going?

Two maxtor Atlas IV 10K 36GB disks in raid1 for system.

The sweet thing bout the case is that i can add another 5 drive cages, with 15 disk innit, giving a total of 33 disks, or whopping 6,6TB data storage :)

Darking

Two maxtor Atlas IV 10K 36GB disks in raid1 for system.

The sweet thing bout the case is that i can add another 5 drive cages, with 15 disk innit, giving a total of 33 disks, or whopping 6,6TB data storage :)

Darking

With another 2x 8506-8s.....that would be very cool.

How many arrays do you plan on using ? The 8506 Series only supports a max array size of 2TB.

Best Regards

Theis

well as i only use 200gb disks my arrays wont be larger than 1.6 TB... or 1.4 if i run raid5 as i plan... and i can always run them striped under windows (raid 50), i dont believe theres an upper limit there ill reach anywho.

Potentially i _could_ run a 4x 1.4TB = 5.6 TB... wich is pretty damn sweet...

But i doubt it will come to that... 2.8TB will be enough for starters.

Darking

With 8506´s you have the possibility to span your array across multiple controllers reaching the 2TB array limit with just 11 disks using RAID5

Best Regards

Theis

Here is a totally stupid question from an ignoramous >>

Why SATA and not the proven technology behind SCSI Ultra320 or even iSCSI?

Is the issue here merely one of cost and if it is this factor that swayed you towards SATA: What exactly is the cost delta between SCSI and SATA?

The setup pictures you have would surely give any hardware geek a woody for a week (well, at least for about 200microSeconds :lol: )

I would most certainly opt for dual power supplies: Both for load leveling and the potential for SinglePointFailures/redundancy purposes! Putting all eggs in one basket in an industrial/commercial environment went out with typewriters ... me thinx!

Well this is ment for a backup server, for backup to disk, i hardly think its a problem if i loose the powersupply for a couple of hours, or even days, it will be secured from powerloss and spikes by a 3000VA UPS.

Why not SCSI... well cost is one part of it, another is i need storage.. and alot of it, our backup is 300 GB's a day, and i need _atleast_ 5 of those, it all adds up, plus some extra space available, aint a shame..

a Maxtor Atlas 10KIV 146.9GB costs 3 times as much as 200GB sata disk, and i would need almost twice the amount... it all adds up, and this project was ment from start, as a lowbudget solution, giving massive storage, and "good" performance.

I have no doubt i could build or buy a "better" SCSI solution... but at what price?? 4 or 5 times as much.. I doubt very much, that for our needs its the way to go, if im wrong, that'll suck, but id' only have used 10-15K $, compared to buying a EMC or similar solution for 150-200K $

btw. I plan on using Windows 2003 server. and Veritas backup exec 9.0

Both ive tested to run very smoothly together.

Darking

Hey Darking - have you received the Enermax PSU ?

I just received mine (from Zitech computer DK)- and I tell you - this PSU weighs a hell of a lot more than I expected given that the housing is made from aluminum.

I just sold my old Enermax PSU 651 550 watt PSU and it's heavy too - but this one outweights it easily.

I haven't opened the package with the PSU yet - but I plan to do later tonight.

yah i recieved it today, it looks sweet, just need to find a way to mount it in my case, gonna have to build something to set it on, or the cables will be almost too short to reach the motherboard..

And need to buy myselves 5 Y molex splitters, since the 10 on the PSU aint enough ;)

Darking

Ill take some when i start assembling the whole case, prolly monday.

It basically looks like this, alltho mine is a bit older model (and scratched!!)

JS-2000-4R.jpg

Its size is this.

710mm x 410mm x 655mm (T x B x H)

and wieghs 50kg (100Lbs) with powersupply..

Pluuuuus, it gotz Wh33lz!!! ;)

Darking

Wow... what does the french say... "supercool"?? :)

How many disks in one array? And how much for the controller???

Is the issue here merely one of cost ...

Merely? Have you priced the difference? To yield 1.5TB with SATA would cost about $2k for the drives. (seven 250 GB drives) Here's your part: How much would seven 250 GB Ultra320 or even iSCSI drives cost?

-- Rick

SCSA, 3ware cards, generally have a array limit of 2TB, alltho the cards support a total disk capacity of 3TB.

Unfortunately the R5Fusion engine, only works on the first raid 5 array, so i wouldnt be able to get anything out of it, since it would slow the performance to a halt

Darking

well tje project is actually done, but i havnt had the time to make any more pictures than i allready have uploaded.

but here are some pictures i found laying around:

Picture(1).jpgPicture(2).jpgPicture(3).jpgPicture(4).jpg

Rest can be seen at this url

http://darking.nowhere.dk/pictures/StorageBox/

It basically makes _alot_ of noise, runs nice and cool, and has a 1000VA APC ups on it now. benchies can be seen in the above link too

Darking