Allaun Silverfox

I found a terrabyte drive

:o Ok, I have posted this in a reply already today and will post it one other place on the site. I have a terrabyte drive. Yes, I have FOUND a TERRABYTE drive for 300 bucks. And to top it all off, it's SATA! http://www.protoscience.com/protodrive.html I'm going to buy it as soon as possible. If i could afford the 2 terrabyte model, I would be set until I fill it full of pron. :D Well, Check it out, no self respecting geek can resist something like that. I know I can't.

Thats a little harsh, Where as that device is extremely dubious in nature, and I do agree to the cheesiness of the website, it is possible to achive terrabyte level capacity in a single drive. As referenced by Slashdot, Which news sources are extremely reliable and pretty much review by a hundred thousand geeks. http://slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=02/07/1...=thread&tid=126 If you want to continue to dispute the possibilty that I am wrong, Email me at Dark_skies123@yahoo.com and I am willing to point you to other sources of information. :)

I agree with Honold, it soulds a little to good to be true. However what a value if it is true. The website does leave a lot of questions to be answered, about the drive and the company itself. Anyway, if you do get it good luck, I'm very curious. B)

Domain Name: protoscience.com

Registrar: THE NAME IT CORPORATION DBA AITDOMAINS.COM

Registrant

Organization Name: protoscience inc

Name: bill j kirby

Address: 518 north platina drive

diamond bar, ca 91765

US

Email Address: bkirby@electric.com

Phone Number: 9096124662

Fax Number:

Administrative Contact

diamond bar, ca 91765

US

Fax Number:

Technical Contact

diamond bar, ca 91765

US

Fax Number:

Billing Contact

diamond bar, ca 91765

US

Fax Number:

Record Created on........ 2002-01-25 18:03:03.000

Record last updated on... 2003-02-14 14:25:11.000

Expire on................ 2004-01-25 18:22:07.000

Domain servers in listed order:

ns26a.sbc-webhosting.com 216.173.237.28

ns26b.sbc-webhosting.com 216.173.237.47

According to the brochure that they have on site, you purchase for $300 a drive with an initial capacity of 200 GB. If you want to increase the capacity you pay an upgrade fee, receive a passcode, and type the passcode at the Protodrive™ upgrade prompt to instantly boost capacity. No mention of how much these "upgrades" cost. Assuming everything is for real(which is highly dubious) at best they're selling purposely crippled hardware which is uncrippled via a firmware update.

The same site also claims to have a ProtoModem™ coming out in November which will supposedly allow dialup users to experience 1 Mbs download speeds, and be upgradeable to even faster speeds(presumably by a system similar to that used for the ProtoDrive™).

Bottom line-if you believe anything on this site then I'm selling a bridge you might be interested in buying. PM if you're interested and get in on the ground floor. The Brooklyn Bridge will be outfitted with my new patented ProtoBridge™ system that instantly teleports you to your destination of choice within seconds. Buy shares now and you too can make a small fortune by owning a percentage of the future tolls. Plans are in the pipeline to put the system on all bridges worldwide so don't pass up this once in a lifetime opportunity!

Ok first, if you pay close attention, these are WD drives shown in the pictures, though they say they are "similar", also it seems that they use 100~120GB platters? And 1TB max with an upgrade..., I have to read more about this when I get home but in a normal form factor of a 1” height, you can fit a max of 6 and probably 8 platters inside, which I know Seagate has done such a thing with their SCSI drives.

I totally agree with your statements, and i do agree to the outright scam level of it. As per another user pointed out, the site is owned by one person. BUT I wasnt mislead simply because I'm stupid or blind. There is a product, as i linked to, thats similar. I happed to just be over eager. And so I'm sorry for being so persistant in my statements. I concede, bow, bend, whatever. I am promptly withdrawing any more statments. But glad to know you guys actually read stuff. :D

Jonny Bravo: Man, I'm pretty.

Very weird. I am not a storage expert buy it seems like the picture of the drive is older technology?

Also what is the price of a fully accessed drive? Why are they focused on resellers?

Can't be true.

...Rich

Ok first, if you pay close attention, these are WD drives shown in the pictures, though they say they are "similar", also it seems that they use 100~120GB platters? And 1TB max with an upgrade..., I have to read more about this when I get home but in a normal form factor of a 1” height, you can fit a max of 6 and probably 8 platters inside, which I know Seagate has done such a thing with their SCSI drives.

That picture looks like a 1.6 gb caviar to me :)

And this whole 3.5" 4H thing is weird.

Yes, it's possible to fit several platters in the standard low-profile 3.5" form factor. The most recent one I can think of was IBM's 75GXP line which employed 5 disks. However, with higher areal densities, HDD makers are forced to use thicker disks to counteract problems associated with thin disks. This means the most you're likely to see is 4 platters in any current platform, and even that is limited to Maxtor's 5400 rpm platform.

is this some kinda funky scam that just repackages online storage like i-drive or freedrive ?

and do those even exist anymore? hmmm let me see....

And the protomodem is complete BS. You can not connect at a rate higher than your isp provides.

Maybe he's selling, LOTS of modem in a box and you use multilink to use them.

Of course what they dpn't tell you is you then need that many phone lines and the bill will bloody high :)

Reading the brochures

http://www.protoscience.com/5200Page1.htm

300MB/s transfer.... sounds like compression to me and should be labeled 'effective' (if it is one drive) as it says SATA but the product's still in development and I don't think prototypes are availabel yet. Not into production till past mid 2004.

Variable Specification Hardware , should be able to look this up (I have no idea where).. So BIOS unlocking either platters or encoding level.

Tripple-Attribute data encoding technology (patent pending) - This be that compression then again should be able to find out what that is if anyone know where to look. Encoding is another word for compression in media, DivX encoding (although lossy) is compression.

Hm, haven't they been selling software programs that "expand" the size of your drive for years now?

The 3.5in 4H caught my eye. This must be a 5 drive raid in 4 3.5in X 1.6in (height) bays. I guess he also has some software that lets you expand the array. And with 5 drives the 300 MB/s is not unrealistic if you use raid 0.

John

Maybe he's selling, LOTS of modem in a box and you use multilink to use them. Of course what they dpn't tell you is you then need that many phone lines and the bill will bloody high

And your ISP would have to allow you to be connected from that many (about 18 for 1 MBPS) modems at one time.

The 3.5in 4H caught my eye. This must be a 5 drive raid in 4 3.5in  X 1.6in (height) bays. I guess he also has some software that lets you expand the array. And with 5 drives the 300 MB/s is not unrealistic if you use raid 0.

John

I saw the same thing. Form Factor: 3.50" 4H 1TB in 4 bays? Not such a big deal anymore. 4 x 250GB drives gives the same capacity. And you don't need a 4 high stack of 3.5" drive bays.

It would require *some* compression to achieve 300MB/s over a single SATA interface.

Although I did not see the number of SATA connections.

Also a 14ms latency is listed.

It has a high coolness factor, but now that multi-channel RAID is practically a commodity item, a 1TB "single drive" does not have the impact it would have had a couple of years ago.

The Upgrade feature is nice, but look before you leap. Each 200GB piece could cost the same as the first (base).

They should have tried to build something in a 5-1/4" FH form factor. I would have been impressed with that.

I guess I'll take my wet blanket with me,

DogEared