slideshow-bob

...power consumption of HD's....

Hi all you storage-gurus! (is that |-| |> 1337 ?? )

here's my rig:

abit nf7-s 2.0

barton 2500+

2x256 pc3200

gf4400

enermax 360Wpsu

sony cdrw-drive

tiny ata66 3-gig drive (wd, i think) with linux on it

40gig maxtor 7200 ata133 drive (me' old boot drive, don't ya know!)

ADDED YESTERDAY:

2X seagate 7200,7 8meg, 120gig SATA drives, striped (yeah, baby! )

NOW, when i just added the striped set to my old XP-installation,everything was fine, ( ye gods, that's fast!!! :D ) -didn't run it for very long, but copied some files and souch, -worked fine.

So, i decide to install XP on the striped set, (and yes, i istalled the correct drivers for the sata-controller in setup) but now, i occationally get bluescreens (different kinds -it's like a BSOD lottery! <_< ) when i have alot of disk-activity.

SO HERE'S my question:

-is this a known issue with the si3112-controller on my MB?

-could this be a power-issue? -maybe they conume alot of power?

if this seems reasonable, wich drive conumes the most power? (except my striped SATA-set -DON'T YOU TOUCH MY BABIES!!! :angry::D )

-what's your opinion on this? -any ideas?

thanks in advance,

\bob

Removing the 2 older drives will tell you if it's a power problem.

Installing the latest motherboard BIOS should fix any problem with the SATA shipset (if Abit have got around to it anyway)

ok, thanks

i'll install sp1 and see if that helps, if not i guess i'll see how many drives i have to remove (*whimper*) -gee, i sure hope i don't have to repartition and move the whole linux-thingy to my sweet raid-set.... :blink:

(...i'm sure happy i didn't get one of those: "c'mon, idiot -360watts is nowhere NEAR enough!" :D )

cheers!

\bob

Power supplys are pretty robust. I have a cheap 300watt supply in my case. It supplys 11.5Amps on 12v side. It getts problematic when I run 10 drives on it so I backed it down to 7 drives and I have another cheap 250wat laying around. So I connected grounds from both supplys together and the 250 runs 5 more hard drives for 12 total. It runs like this 24/7 DLing "large files" from my cable connection. Im about out of drive space so next week I will add a 13th drive. They are all 200gigers by the way. As I do backups, I have 15 drives hooked up at once like this with no problems. I expect to have a 14th drive in by middle november at the rate things continue to come in, and I may have to consider hooking up a 3rd cheap supply to this that I have laying around. You may have figured it doesnt look pretty and nothing is closed up so heat never builds up. But I have enough pci slots to run 24 drives so I think Im OK. I have been DLing for over 7 months now and I am finnally comming to the end of the alphabet on all the mule link sites I use. I am so proud of my cludge. :lol:

Enermax PSU's built within the last year and a half or so really pump out a lot of current on the +12 v rails, so the number of drives should not be a problem. It is either a driver problem, or you must have been careless and zapped some chips while working on it ungrounded :)