Prof.Wizard

SR's D2OL Metacomputing Team

I was browsing the stats and noticed a lot of members have an abbreviation referring to their team at the start of their name. Can I suggest we change our D2OL names to SR_StorageReview name? This should increase our visibility to the other teams, as well as make it easier for us to see how we are doing as individual members. I've changed mine already to start the trend! B)

I was browsing the stats and noticed a lot of members have an abbreviation referring to their team at the start of their name.  Can I suggest we change our D2OL names to SR_StorageReview name?  This should increase our visibility to the other teams, as well as make it easier for us to see how we are doing as individual members.  I've changed mine already to start the trend!  B)

CHew-

How do you go about modifying your name? I'm game to do it>...

C

How do you go about modifying your name?  I'm game to do it>...

Just log in and change it.. nothing to tell. I can't get on to the web page to tell you exactly, but it wasn't hard to find.

Me too! It's a neat way to say: "I belong to this team".

I decided to use Linux for a Dual 733 Mhz Pentium3 I have. So, what distro is best to install the *.bin file? {Never use it before}. And should I install 2 client of D2ol because i think D2ol doesn't support multiprocessor? Thanks.

Hi team!

I just wanted to say that my networking problems have vanished and everything has been running fine for a week now. This means I'm still in and slowly diggin into the top 30 :)

One thing I noticed though, extracting WinRAR Archives is painfully slow with the D²OL client on. Don't do it that often, so it's not a huge problem, but again I wonder if thats only me or normal behavior?

Doin' Malaria right now... :)

Hi team!

I just wanted to say that my networking problems have vanished and everything has been running fine for a week now. This means I'm still in and slowly diggin into the top 30 :)

One thing I noticed though, extracting WinRAR Archives is painfully slow with the D²OL client on. Don't do it that often, so it's not a huge problem, but again I wonder if thats only me or normal behavior?

Doin' Malaria right now... :)

Hi there,

D²OL runs as a process set to IDLE priority. This means that It only uses unavailable CPU time. With winrar, if you set it to "run in background", you are also setting it to Idle priority, and D²OL/Winrar will split the CPU evenly. This slows down winrar.

The other problem is that D²OL causes cache misses for applications that usually fit into the L2 cache of the CPU. This is an additional performance penalty. So for games, I recommend that you R-click and manually stop the task engine.

The above applies to 'most' distributed apps.

I hope that this helps,

Frank Russo

D²OL runs as a process set to IDLE priority. This means that It only uses unavailable CPU time.

Hehehe, I think that should have read "available" ... or "unused" :)

With winrar, if you set it to "run in background", you are also setting it to Idle priority, and D²OL/Winrar will split the CPU evenly.  This slows down winrar.

Just tried it, you're absolutely right. I did run WinRAR in the background.

D²OL runs as a process set to IDLE priority. This means that It only uses unavailable CPU time.

Hehehe, I think that should have read "available" ... or "unused" :)

Yeah, sometimes the fingers are on autopilot and totally disconnect from the brain. Typing on one monitor while looking at a different monitor has its drawbacks.

Thank you for your time,

Frank Russo

I've found another scenario where the client seems to affect performance.

When the client is running on my laptop at work, and I've got Outlook running, AND Outlook is synchronising the online/offline data, response of any kind from Outlook is painful. I use the reminder feature of Outlook a lot so anytime a reminder pops up and synchronization is happening, it can take up to two minutes or more for the reminder to disappear once an action is selected. Same thing when just trying to switch to the Outlook window to check new mail, or open any mail.

Took a while to work out what was going on. At first I thought our Exchange server was playing up. Anyway, my laptop is a poor PII-400 and is only contributing 5 candidates a day, so I'm thinking of unloading the client permanently. But I feel like I'm struggling to hold on to the top 15 or so - what I need is the new laptop that is being hinted at from work!

Congrats team we are now in the top 20 overall!!

We are easily the 4th most productive team on D2OL but we need more members.

Please put your spare CPU cycles to work for Team SR!

C

Jeez...and I'm out of the top 10....now I really need to get the business going.....

It worries me that the console version requires a JRE. Is the math logic itself done in Java? :unsure:

Very nice guys/gals, very nice.

Now on top 20 starts the difficult and painstaking rise to top 10. But we have what it takes. :)

Darking...as the current daily production leader, can you give the spec/times of your nodes? So people know what it takes to make top5 in our team...

Darking...as the current daily production leader, can you give the spec/times of your nodes? So people know what it takes to make top5 in our team...

Since I'll be the easiest to beat...

1 P4 2Ghz

2 Athlon 1.33

3 Athlon XP 1700

4 P3 733

5 P3 550

6 P3Xeon 550 (512KB)

(I show 7 machines, but the AXP1700 is dual boot)

Thank you for your time,

Frank Russo

Ofcause i can :)

stats.JPG

95894= my homecomputer AMD 1800+

96474= AMD 2800+

96475= My workstation, P4 2.4GHz

96477+96479= Dual processor 2 Ghz Xeon, IBM 335 xseries (test server)

96738= collegues workstation, P4 2.4Ghz

96739= collegues workstation, P4 2.4Ghz (client uninstalled)

96740= collegues workstation, P4 2.4Ghz (think its uninstalled too)

96741= collegues workstation, P4 2.4Ghz

Darking

Very nice guys/gals, very nice.

Now on top 20 starts the difficult and painstaking rise to top 10. But we have what it takes. :)

By my quick calculations, we should be hitting number 10 about the end of the year. Come on team, I challenge you to see how much you can beat that goal by!!!

Wow, I thought at 17 nodes, Dick Miles would have been untouchable, but alas, he's fallen to 4th.  :blink:

Many of those nodes arent producing anymore.

Forgot to copy the node file over. Oh well.

Once I get motivated again, I'll add some more.

Ass

How do I sort the list by productivity?

I think without more nodes I'll be stuck in my position... at least I'm looking OK in the one-node-class ;)

Go to the advanced statistics page provided by Team MacNN.