Prof.Wizard

SR's D2OL Metacomputing Team

Congratulations everyone and a big kiss... ;)

Wizard,

Please stop with the bestiality pics. This is a family-friendly forum... ;)

And that is ONE UGLY FARM ANIMAL!

FS

Attenion P4 users with Hyper Threading

I just read on the D2OL forums that running two instances of D2OL to take up both of your 'virtual' CPUs will net you an increase in performance of about 33-66%. If you want to improve your output, you might give that a try and report back....

C

Just added a 2.0GHz P4, and a 3.0GHz Xeon machine which will be running 24/7 for a while.

A note of interest. I had to add a double instalation on the Xeon machine since it had hyperthreading enabled. Until then it only used 50% CPU. Don't know if it makes any real difference or not though.

JohnRH

Attenion P4 users with Hyper Threading

I just read on the D2OL forums that running two instances of D2OL to take up both of your 'virtual' CPUs will net you an increase in performance of about 33-66%.  If you want to improve your output, you might give that a try and report back....

C

Our posts 'overlapped'.

Since I never ran it with only one installation, I won't be able to compare.

Who is kyrakatten?

He was been running the client for almost 3 days with no results yet. Network problems or just a very old system not running all the time?

OK, where did this team VR-Zone come from? They're ahead of us today, almost double the candidates we've got. Yet we've got 1 more node than they do! Our average candidate dock time is over 9 minutes faster than theirs! Crunch boys (and girls?), crunch!

I ordered a router/switch today and will hopefully be adding a XP1600+ (work in progress) and an ancient PII I had gathering dust by next weekend. I'd add some of the units here at work, but I'm having problems getting the client configured to pass through our corporate firewall. My company uses a configuation script to set the LAN settings in IE5.5. I think this may be where the issue lies. Anyone know how I can find out the correct proxy settings to enter to get the D2OL client communicating? These comps sit idle most of the day (I know, I run this office) so I don't think anyone will mind.

Bob

Just to give you guys some baseline for comparison, here are the stats for my systems..

ID ---Cands. ---Confs. ---Avg Cands. / Day 
95851 ---336 ---6,720 ---67.2   (P4 2Ghz laptop)
95917 ---72 ---1,440 ---18    (P3 550 Dell Gx1)
96000 ---81 ---1,620 ---27    (P3-733 Compaq DP-EN)
96011 ---176 ---3,520 ---58.67 (Athlon 1333 A7N-VM)

How are your nodes doing?

Thank you for your time,

FranK Russo

For my one lonely home workstation:

ID -------Cands. ---Confs. ---Avg Cands. / Day

95886--- 344 -------6,880 ----86-----(2.4Ghz P4c)

Go for it BD!

Stats may change differently based on when work results are uploaded back to the D2OL. Maybe they have a bunch of dial-up modem users over there and they only update a few times a week?

C

-ID--------Cands------Confs--------Avg Cands/Day---------------Spec-----
95861       290       5,800             49                 2400+/512*
95862       372       7,440             62                 2500+/512
95864       127       2,540             21                 2700+/1GB**
95922       143       2,860             29                P3-900/1GB**
95923       128       2,560             26                P3-900/1GB**

*not on all the time
**live server. On 24/7, but preoccupied.

Some interesting notes for those concerned about priorities. None of these systems have had any bad reactions to this app. This includes IIS, SQL, Exchange, and a DC. Quake3, and Mad Onion's benchmark scores are unaffected by having this run in the background.

Some interesting notes for those concerned about priorities. None of these systems have had any bad reactions to this app. This includes IIS, SQL, Exchange, and a DC. Quake3, and Mad Onion's benchmark scores are unaffected by having this run in the background.

Same thing here. I did have some issues with UD which I had to close when running certain games. So far so good with D²OL. :)

I'd add some of the units here at work, but I'm having problems getting the client configured to pass through our corporate firewall. My company uses a configuation script to set the LAN settings in IE5.5. I think this may be where the issue lies. Anyone know how I can find out the correct proxy settings to enter to get the D2OL client communicating?

I'm having similar problems - I can't even connect to d2ol.com, unless I use anonymizer - sengent.com works. I suspect that our firewall admins may have blocked the site. I'm not in a position to change their policy, but I'll see if I can get around it.

Let us know if you find out anything.

e_dawg - I'm sure none of that will be an issue, and of course you can have access to my profile.  I just took 10th place and am trying like hell to beat Eugene out of his 9th place spot ;)

Mars,

Thank you for your interest. Clocker, thanks for your assurances. Eugene also let me know that you were a member at SR under a different username. But before I commit to your proposal, I need to sort out my CPU situation first.

I noticed that a tiny piece of the the corner of the Palomino 1800's core has been chipped. I must have used too much force wrestling with the stupid clip on my HSF. When my new motherboard arrives, I want to run some tests to make sure it is 100% operational before I make either CPU available.

I am also considering a tentative proposal from Eugene that might involve using one of the CPU's for both providing SR services as well as for D2OL. The fact that it could be used for two very worthy purposes would give the proposal priority.

So, stay tuned... I will let you know what's going on when I am able to run some tests. Just to let you know, I expect this process to take another 1-2 weeks.

I suspect that our firewall admins may have blocked the site.

Couldn't work around it. The software connects to d2ol.com in order to register, and I can't change that. I was logged into the firewall, set the right proxy settings, but couldn't connect.

So I'll try SR's UD team instead!

So I'll try SR's UD team instead!

There's absolutely no problem with that. :)

Our legacy team is still operational for those who can't find workarounds (but have seriously tried!) to run D²OL.

The Prof may have already noticed, but UD worked for me. I'm now an SR cruncher! :)

That's terrific, Spod, thank you! :)

The Prof

A propo, albeit the name I'm not a real professor (university or other)... :rolleyes:

It's just a prefix I decided to place in front of my name because most "Wizard" (and even "Dr.Wizard") were already taken in some boards I was trying.

I'm senior medical student, that's why I appreciate so much distributed computing programs which deal with health issues.

Also, the real "mastermind" behind both teams is Clocker. He was the founder and original captain of the UD team and they guy we owe most about both projects. I just happened to become captain in UD when he decided to take a break in other projects for a while. A big kudos to him.

C'mon ladies... crunch, crunch, crunch! :P

We are already in 76th position after only about a week. Great job SR. I know there are many more of you out there so please join the team! We can take this to the top or damn near close to it!

C B)

Having a quick look at the average daily results at a few of the teams above us suggests we should be well in to top 50 within a week. Go SR!!

Just took a look at the stats and we're inside the Top 70 all-time now. Got my (honold approved) router today. Just need to get some time to get my 2 other comps up and running.

Plus, the thread needed a bump! :P

that made my night :)

Some of us do indeed know how to use the search button. :) There's a wealth of good advice accumulated here...people just gotta learn to dig a (very) little for it.

Oh, and the router is a little jewel! I'm no techie and I had it set up in a few minutes. Talk about stupid proof! The browser feels like it loads pages faster now and the dslreports bandwidth test says I'm a little faster than in the past. But who knows, could just be time of day. Maybe because I don't have to use the XP PPPoE client anymore.

Anyway, thanks honold for the recommendation. Yours and all the regulars contributions are really appreciated.

Clocker:

got my 2nd node up and running now. XP1600+ for 24/7 crunching. Between this one and the P4c my home office is nice and toasty! :lol: 3rd node hopefully up this weekend.

Sorry my numbers are off right now. I run D2OL on the systens on my workbench, right now this includes 2 rack-mount beasts I recently built. The 92mm Tornado fans are deafening, and they are only cruncing when I'm NOT in the office to save my sanity.

Great work guys. Kepp adding those NODES!

We seem to have leveled off at about 42 team members. I know Team SR can get bigger than that!

Come on SR...GET IN THE GAME and PLAY WITH A WINNER!

Let's show the fanboys at those other forums what teamwork and community are all about!

Clocker