Prof.Wizard

SR's D2OL Metacomputing Team

Excellent work everyone. I have no words. We're a powerful community and this is a small but convincing piece of evidence of our crunching potential.

Come on, hook all your machines! B) (argh, I wish I had more...)

Isn't team Norway beating us?

Pardon the spelling, blind drunk tonight

Frank

So far #1 for the day, #7 for the week, and not even on the top 100 all-time. We're gonna storm this thing....
Isn't team Norway beating us?

Team Norway is much older and bigger. We were #1 by the time ddrueding1 posted. I saw it. But we're now kings of productivity. Just leave your machines running all the time and we'll be fine.

Heh, I would love to see their faces trying to understand what the hell is this team StorageReview.com coming out of the blue and conquering the first (or second) slot in productivity... gym.gif

GJ everyone! WE need more to rocket to the top, however....I will be adding another machine today...not a 24/7 cruncher though...

C

I'm onboard, 24/7.  I wonder how these dual 1.4-S Tualatins will perform?

CHew-

You're runnign SMP? If so, You should run two separate installations of D2OL in different install directories...

C

Just added a 1700+ AthlonXP on a K7S5A Pro running part time...

C

Well we are currently at 104 in the team standings with only five days of computing. I wish they had a means to spec the hardware for each node. Speed comparisions would be meaningful.

I have four machines running. 300 MHz dual Xeon dell box, 600 MHz P3 white box, a 2.4 GHz P4 white box, and my home machine a 1.5 GHz Athlon XP. I am impressed with the Athlon which is besting the significantly faster clocked P4.

Makes me want to go out and build an AMD 64 bit cruncher and add it to the mix.

DAFS

honestly e_dawg, I'm going to have to retire one of my systems (being shipped). So you might as well make up for it with your 3...

Well, the part I left out is that of the 4 Athlon XP CPU's I have, I only have 2 systems to put them in ;) . In fact, I only have one Athlon system operational now, as my 2nd motherboard died. I have one on order and it should be here in a week.

-----------------------

So, I have a proposal: I have a Palomino 1800+ that I can DONATE to anyone who is willing to:

a) slap it on a motherboard, add some RAM, a HD, and

B) use it for crunching D2OL work units whenever the PC is on (i.e., have the service/client running in the background; I don't care what you're doing with the PC as long as the client is running in the background)

c) run the client at least 8 hours a day

d) pay for the shipping cost

I also have a Tbred 2200+ as well that I can make available for $20 US + shipping under the same conditions.

The above offers will be extended only to SR veterans or members I know (more or less... you know who you are)

e_dawg - Ill take you up on the 2200+ for $20 plus shipping - I know I dont have many posts, but Eugene will probably vouch for me (I've been around awhile, just dont post anymore)

I have a system set up already that could use that chip, and it would crunch 24/7 except when my bro comes over and uses it.

e_dawg-

Unfortunately I don't have a place for your CPU but I just wanted to say THANKS for your great contribution to the team!

SR-

Come on SR! The competition isn't going to sit still while we are rushing to pass them by...so join the team! Feel free to contact me with any questions etc. or if you need some help getting things going....

C

e_dawg - Ill take you up on the 2200+ for $20 plus shipping - I know I dont have many posts, but Eugene will probably vouch for me (I've been around awhile, just dont post anymore)

I have a system set up already that could use that chip, and it would crunch 24/7 except when my bro comes over and uses it.

If you can get Eugene to vouch for you, I'll consider your proposal. I would also ask you to give me access to your D2OL profile so I could occasionally check the stats to see if the Tbred was crunching work units or if you sold the Tbred of eBay :)

ON eBay is what i meant

I'm doing a little recruiting for Team SR

Asked the guys at AMDusers.com as well but they aren't interested right now. Maybe when we blow by them they will reconsider... :wacko:

You guys have any ideas were we can do some recruiting w/o actually creating more competition against use (i.e. I'm thinking we might not want to suggest this at some of the bigger hardware sites)...

C

CHew-

You're runnign SMP?  If so, You should run two separate installations of D2OL in different install directories...

C

I was wondering about that. I noticed that CPU utilization sits at 50% for the task, so obviously it's only running on one. Although I'm enjoying the fact that there's absolutely no impact on performance of the system while being used.

Having said that, I remember somebody pointed out that the client is good at running only when idle and not affecting general system performance noticably.

My P4 2.4B slaughters my 1600+ XP when crunching these things...

Mars, I wonder what the determining factor is. My 2.4 GHz is a new machine at work. I am not familiar yet with the specifics of the system Motherboard, chipset, etc. I know the system uses an older 20 GB/platter HD, while my athlon system at home I use a Diamondmax +9. That should not make any difference though.

Another difference is that the p4 system is using Suns JAVA while the Athlon is using Win2K Pro with microsofts JAVA. The java is only interface code and again should not be affecting things. Both systems have 512MB memory.

Clocker, your 2 nodes seem very fast could you post the system details?

DAFS

e_dawg, that's a tempting offer. I have a KT400 board that I picked up almost for free that's not doing anything as yet. I'll have to decide whether I want another system running 24/7 before I offer to take your offer..

Clocker, your 2 nodes seem very fast could you post the system details?

DAFS

Dafs-

Happy to. Both of these systems are on 24/7:

SYSTEM 1:

AOpen AK879D-400VN with AthlonXP 2100 at 2Ghz (to be quiet) and 400mhz FSB. 768MB Corsair @ 400Mhz, 60GB PATA WD600JB.

SYSTEM 2:

ECS K7S5A (non pro) with Athlon XP 2400+ (also at 2Ghz but 266mhz FSB). 512MB DDR @ 266Mhz. This is my server box in my basement so it is usually not distracted by other tasks like my AOpen box above.

I just added an ECS K7S5A Pro that my father-in-law runs part time. It has a 1700+ with 512MB of DDR.

Thanks guys and lets keep the team growing...

C

Although I posted this once in this thread, since this is the permanant reference point, I will repost it here:

NEWS FOR DUAL PROCS:

I just finished installing the client on my dual-PIII machine, and you need to do a double install for two clients to get it to use dual-processors - so the client itself isn't multiprocessor capable (total bullshit for a "grid" application IMHO). So do one install, then do another install into a DIFFERENT DIRECTORY (i.e., "c:\program files\SengentD2OL-Node 2"). Register it normally, then go to "My Nodes" in the D2OL web page and add the new node to your node collection as normal. It takes a few minutes for the stats pages to show newly added nodes...

Your CPU utilization will go from 50% to 100% on Performace Monitor.

Future Shock

Same problem with SETI@Home, which has no SMP support unless you watch the perty graphs--those are generated by a separate thread.

Oh guys, I'm leaving for my Uni now and we're in position 101! When I'm back we'll surely have landed on top one-hundred!

Congratulations everyone and a big kiss... ;)

hello.jpg

For those that are wondering, after installing a 2nd instance to make use of my 2nd CPU, there's no noticeable effect on the general performance of the system.

So here I was, looking for team storagereview....and I couldn't find it! :blink:

That's because we are now at #93!!! :D

e_dawg - I'm sure none of that will be an issue, and of course you can have access to my profile. I just took 10th place and am trying like hell to beat Eugene out of his 9th place spot ;)

If you can get Eugene to vouch for you, I'll consider your proposal. I would also ask you to give me access to your D2OL profile so I could occasionally check the stats to see if the Tbred was crunching work units or if you sold the Tbred of eBay :)

e_dawg-

I can personally vouch for Mars. I didn't realize who he was at first but now I remember him.

C