Prof.Wizard

SR's D2OL Metacomputing Team

Is there any way to monitor it, if you use FireDaemon to run it as a service?

DSpy will probably do it although I have not tried it yet. WIll you give it a shot and report back?

C

At last, I can reach SR after three days... :(

Some kind of Internet node in North-Eastern USA went off and I couldn't access some sites based in North America, StorageReview.com included. Damn, and I wanted to be these first moments here.

SR D²OL team has taken off extremely successfully I must say. We've been in top five most productive teams these past days and we're already the 188th most prolific team out of more than 600! It's quite a success considering we just joined three days ago.

Kudos to everyone and thanks for contributing every possible machine to our team and cause. We have a huge potential as a community.

Running as a service? Would that eliminate the need to be logged on for it to run? Would it eliminate the icon in the system tray? Can you tell me how?

dd-

Just set-up using the free version of Firedaemon....www.firedaemon.com

No special settings required.

C

Also...if you decide to run it as a service, don't forget to remove it from your Startup folder....

C

dd-

Just set-up using the free version of Firedaemon....www.firedaemon.com

No special settings required.

C

Thanks, I'll check that out when I get home.

Well, as much as I would love to join, the website just doesn't work for me.

Among other problems like refusing to ever let me log in again after my first login unless I close all browser windows (in both Internet Explorer and Safari) and not finding the SR team at all no matter how I search, the biggest problem is that when I use one of the links provided above to actually get to the team webpage, nowhere does the web page provide any link even remotely related in any way to even thinking about joining anything of any kind. I have screenshots of the whole process, but it isn't exactly complicated, so I doubt there is anywhere to screw it up. Additionally, the software cancels reboots/shutdowns and does not start with the system when configured to do so. If it works like described on this test system, I am sure not going to install it on anything important like my main workstation or any servers.

I'll give it a shot once it is more mature.

Well, as much as I would love to join, the website just doesn't work for me...

Bizzare, Sivar (hey, it rhymes!).

I have installed it on both W2000 and XP Pro, under both IE and myIE, and had no problems at all with the web site besides a day of server rebuild on their part.

I think I would definately try it on another rig if I were you - maybe go to an internet cafe and try it there?

FS

I think I would definately try it on another rig if I were you - maybe go to an internet cafe and try it there?

Erm, isn't this supposed to be illegal in the USA if done without the consent of the administrator of the PCs?

Erm, isn't this supposed to be illegal in the USA if done without the consent of the administrator of the PCs?

Not if he uninstalls it when he is done trying it... :rolleyes:

Of, course, he could mistakenly "forget", and try it on a few dozen machines just to be sure...

FS

Not if he uninstalls it when he is done trying it... :rolleyes:

Of, course, he could mistakenly "forget", and try it on a few dozen machines just to be sure...

Mwahaha! :lol: Good one.

Well, in this case he should "try" it on different Internet Cafes just to extinguish any doubt.

Jokes apart, bets are on: Will we be top 100 by the end of the first week of the team's life? I say yes!

Could I be persuaded to add my 3x Athlon 1800+, 1x Athlon 2200+, and 1x P3-650? LOL...

-e_dawg, whoring his crunching services to the highest bidder :lol:

Seriously, though... has any thought been given to asking universities and corporations to participate in distributed computing efforts (not just for the SR D2OL team, but for distributed computing in general)? I know 99% of Fortune 500 companies would laugh in your face, and 90% of universities would, but has anyone tried it? Any stories on that?

Could I be persuaded to add my 3x Athlon 1800+, 1x Athlon 2200+, and 1x P3-650? LOL...

C'mon, are you a patron or what? ;)

Ask a University ?

Well some already do this (for Seti mainly)

But Not allowing the computers to cool down or go into Standby (and now hibernate), Imaging the heat, the extra electicity bill that it would involve. As well as the nightmare of installing it on all the 100's of PC's as a service ;)

Mind there really isn't anything stopping them going into a stanby or hibernate if setup properly. But the wear and heat it causes is probably the major problem (well apart from trying to persuade anyone :D)

I'm wondering what's the extra money to be paid in electricity if a computer runs 100% for a week. Can it be calculated by the difference in Wattage? (full throttle versus normal use, considering both PCs working 24/7) Of course we have to define what's normal use... <_<

Nah, it will be negligent...

I'm wondering what's the extra money to be paid in electricity if a computer runs 100% for a week.

It shouldn't be much. If you look at Sandpile.org, the difference between the typical and the max wattage for most CPUs is minimal. There are other factors as well, such as the hard drive and monitor, but monitors can still shut off with a running task, and many universities don't have their hard drives spin down in the first place. Even if they do, MaxtorSCSI has stated that doing this can lead to a shorter life for the drive.

honestly e_dawg, I'm going to have to retire one of my systems (being shipped). So you might as well make up for it with your 3...

This is looking like a very impressive showing, it'd be great to see SR on top!

So far #1 for the day, #7 for the week, and not even on the top 100 all-time. We're gonna storm this thing....

Excellent work everyone. I have no words. We're a powerful community and this is a small but convincing piece of evidence of our crunching potential.

Come on, hook all your machines! B) (argh, I wish I had more...)