Prof.Wizard

SR's D2OL Metacomputing Team

The fastest of the bunch is actually one of the gaming systems I built (specs here)

It'll be cool to have this on all 30 of the gaming systems every night....

Of course it is - we all helped you design it ;)

FS

And yes, those are VERY fast times!!

Please install it on all of your gaming systems - we need the help!!

Wow, talk about learning from the young: my 2 year old son grabbed my mouse while I was on the phone, and began clicking and moving with abandon. Next thing I know, he has the D2OL client up, and it is showing me weird stuff that I had never seen before. Click on the colored rectangle shown under "Fitness" on the left side of the display, and get a complete rundown on the molecular energies and compute runs needed for that conformer. I don't understand it all, but it's way cool.

Think it's too early to enroll the boy in Organic chem class somewhere? :rolleyes:

Future Shock

Wow, talk about learning from the young: my 2 year old son grabbed my mouse while I was on the phone, and began clicking and moving with abandon.  Next thing I know, he has the D2OL client up, and it is showing me weird stuff that I had never seen before.  Click on the colored rectangle shown under "Fitness" on the left side of the display, and get a complete rundown on the molecular energies and compute runs needed for that conformer.  I don't understand it all, but it's way cool. 

Think it's too early to enroll the boy in Organic chem class somewhere?  :rolleyes:

Future Shock

That is indeed way cool. From my (exreemely basic) knowledge, any chemical bond with a negative energy change can happen? With the higher the energy release determining the likelyness of such an occurance?

Just trying to understand what's going on here....

Not at all....and feel free to modify it if you like to change the content or make it fit in better with the look of the site..

C

Don't feel bad, FS; I'm running the client on a Celeron 600. I'm limiting it to downloading 5 units at a time because otherwise it will never be on for long enough to upload. :P

I also have it installed on my "fast" computer: XP 1600+. I'll eventually put it on my 1GHz Athlon T-bird, too.

DD will be our next mholda, crunching on 30 2800+ CPUs. :)

Well, I won't have the 30 PCs for a while still....having issues with the building manager. But I will be building 2 servers within the next few days (3200+, 2GB, RAID10 of Raptors) that will require a week or so of burn-in time of course....

FYI: Scheduled Outage

Now that we have rebuilt the application servers, we'd like to move them so they are correctly in the rack. With hardware swaps (hopefully) done, it's time to clean up.

We will be offline at 2pm EST for 1 hour. No member services or application services will be available during this window. This is a generous timeline to allow us not to rush but we should be back online quickly.

Thanks for bearing with us!

--------------------

Charles Beckius

D20L Forum Administrator

Guest Eugene
FYI:  Scheduled Outage

I really hope the past 3 days have been a rare exception... their uptime has been quite horrendous...

Traitors! :) First people left the UD team to join SF's Folding team, and now you guys are leaving for D2OL?? :(:angry:

Hey....I left the SF Folding team for the SR D2OL team... :D

The SF Folders had no future left in the F@H rankings as they had peaked out and were no longer making progress against the leading teams. The only thing left over there, I hate to say, is for the team to lose positions to other more productive teams.

So yeah, I jumped ship hoping to find a team with some potential to move up rather than move down....and I don't mean that in a bad or mean way at all..

Eugene- I agree with you and will investigate further.

C

But why not come back to the UD team, like prodigal sons, LOL? We would welcome you back with open arms :)

Unfortunately, the UD team has a lot of inactive members and the stats system stinks. Plus, a fresh start is a nice way to generate interest. It's hard to recruit new people to a team if they will be waaaaay behind the other members of the team..

Anyway, the point is moot for me. U2OL is where I'm at and I'm not going back. :rolleyes:

BBH-

You said a few others so why don't you add three more. :)

Go Team SR! We're growing fast! 21 members, 36 machines and counting!

C

One other thing guys. If you know anboy who is already doing D2OL, they can join Team SR and bring all their previous points with them. So, they won't lose any previous work by joining our team...Team SR will get the points.

Of course, in the unlikely event they ever choose to leave Team SR, their points will go with them at that time as well... :unsure:

C

Just added another 2 PIII 900Mhz systems....

For some reason, perhaps its youth, the SR team absolutely refuses to appear on any team searches. It also fails to appear in the complete team list.

Hopefully it will appear soon, or I will learn how to search, or both.

For any mac users, the OSX version of this program, while prettier than the Windows version, has an annoying. The registration dialog box--the one that asks for your email--refuses to keep focus for any length of time. Even dragging the window around, it loses focus for some reason. The only way I was able to enter my email address was to write it elsewhere, copy it, and utilizing Deus Ex reflexes--quickly click on the window and paste before it lost focus again.

Its broadcast message scrollbar is also clipped from lack of horizontal room. Other than that one annoying and one superficial glitch, it seems to be a nice program.

Hmm... The program also cancels a system shutdown or restart for no apparent reason, but only the first time. It also likes to put two nondescript icons in the dock, and a third one for the running application. The first two don't appear to do much of anything and just take up room.

Guest Eugene
For some reason, perhaps its youth, the SR team absolutely refuses to appear on any team searches. It also fails to appear in the complete team list.

Typing "storagereview" in the team search worked for me...

Very strange. I've searched with "Team StorageReview.com", "StorageReview", "storage review", "storage", "review", "sr", and a few others both by name and by description, and it reports no hits. Listing teams by name starting with the letters 's' and 't' doesn't show the team, and listing all teams and doing a browser search does not turn up the word "storage" anywhere.

Er, this is very strange. Website search engines shouldn't do that.

:huh:

Here's a list of ALL the teams

http://app.d2ol.com/stats/topTeams.jsp?d=All&t=allTime

Currently position 230

If your search isn't working (or just plain FIND if you have one)

look here

http://app.d2ol.com/stats/teamProfile.jsp?id=6113#

under candidates look for Processed, remeber the number then look on the list for that number (1st column after team name).

Hope that helps

Today, we are now the 3rd most productive D2OL Team.

Come on SR we can be #1 ! Join Team SR!

C