Prof.Wizard

SR's D2OL Metacomputing Team

FYI, the D2OL server is down. It has been down for over 24 hours now but they seem to be working on it. I have to increase my queue from 50 to ?, but asked a question there first to get a realistic number for my computer.

No updates, but the moderator suggested that we all run a queue of at least 500...not the default of 50. It takes the system about 6 weeks to dump you if there is no response, so you should be able to calculate a safer number on your own.

By the way, we have about the same number of members and nodes as the group below us. But, about 1/10th the participation now. Crank those computers back up or prepare to get passed...(crank those computers back up when they fix the server, that is.)

Never mind, I read all of it. In probably around a year I could implement low end Dual Opteron just to run this software. While acting as a File Server, which doesn't use much resources. Or I can leave this software running on my 2 Dual Proc Power Mac G4's for now, since I only use one to act as a Wireless Access point > Ethernet gateway.

You don't need anything fast to run the software, and it doesn't even have to be connected to the Internet 24x7. I run it on my hobby web server, which doesn't see much activity. When it does get used, then the web server bumps it.

The only reason why you might not want to run this on your computer is if you had sensitive data on it, or you have a fan that is controlled by temperature. So my hobby web server runs 24x7, and my personal computer that sounds like a jet when it gets warm :) doesn't run it.

Hehe, yes but I will need a Low-End Opteron later on for having it Host many Applications at once, too.

Sorry for not contributing. My only computer this time is a notebook and I hate hearing the fan when the client is on. I shall install the client in some PCs of family members under my name to get back to the game.

Keep cranking! ;)

Hehe, yes but I will need a Low-End Opteron later on for having it Host many Applications at once, too.

198448[/snapback]

Been a while since I was in this thread.

If you are running D2OL on Linux, I do know that it runs great as a low-task priority (19) that gets bumped anytime something else runs. The only computer I would not run it on is a Celeron, because it's so math intensive. I had a post on this earlier, but the summary is that you install it in text-only mode and just type "nice -n 19 ./D2OL controller:file &" in your shell.

In other words, the D2OL executable is bumped by anything else that the system is doing, so it does not use any imporant CPU cycles.

Windows probably has a similar feature somewhere to set the priority low, although I don't know how to do it personally. :)

In case you haven't heard, the D2OL stats server crashed and they had to erase all of the previous stats that were collected. There's talk of getting this restored possibly, but they did not lose any results from the project itself. (Which, is the main reason for doing this anyway.)

According to the stats page (which has been collecting new data for the last 5 days), there are only 16 of us who are actually contributing to the project yet. For example, you can click here and see my score. :)

http://teamstats.macnn.com/d2ol/stats.php?...D=133&range=111

I've been thinking about ending this project myself, since the server that this resides on is getting used for more and more things. I was considering ending it in the Summer, so that I could underclock the CPU and reduce the power/heat on this machine. It has 6 hard drives in it.

Right now they also appear to be having at least a download problem; that usually gets fixed.

Just wondering what the remaining 15 others think about this. Are you going to keep going?

I'm with you Krusher.

I think now is the time to start fresh with another project.

The project will yield more value as an analysis of volunteerism than as a drug researh project.

IMHO

photoz

I think now is the time to start fresh with another project.

I've always rather liked World Computing Grid, because of how they decide which projects to support.

Time for a thread on which DC system to use?

I think a poll would be good.

We could see if anyone is interesed in another project or not interested in having a team at all.

I was going to set D20l up on a new dual core Pc yesterday but I could not get any tasks, so I uninstalled it.

A lack of updates, project progress, and server problems have KILLED my motivation on the project.

When the tasks run out D20L will be uninstalled.

Photoz

Now is a good time to delete all your inactive nodes.

Since everything was set to 0 you can delete them.

photoz

Mine still shows up as 2 nodes, but for the most part I stopped running my actual contributing node for reasons that you state above. I still have the software; maybe I'll start it back up again later.

If a new project is started, I'd start contributing again. I'd like to get into a project/team from the start.