Prof.Wizard

SR's D2OL Metacomputing Team

Hi everyone!  I just revived my nodes late last week.  I now have 4 boxes crunching.  Maybe we should bump this thread often to keep awareness up.

CC that! :)

I wanted to say that I'm also back in business after my format/reinstall of everything.

If you have questions, troubles, or just want to boast over your results hit our IRC channel.

Info (and the Java web client) in my sig. ;)

I just dusted off two Slot1 PII 400s. I know have a machine than can run 24/7.

What do you think my duallie PII 400 will be able to do in a day? 25-30?

It's an Intel 440GX motherboard with 768MB of ram.

Later,

Ben

I just dusted off two Slot1 PII 400s.  I know have a machine than can run 24/7.

What do you think my duallie PII 400 will be able to do in a day?  25-30?

It's an Intel 440GX motherboard with 768MB of ram.

Later,

Ben

Anything for the cause, Ben. ;)

If you have them, I don't find a reason why not to saddle them and make them crunch. Actually, I believe the crunching result of a machine is a good way to benchmark the CPU and have an objective view of that machine in respect to your other, more potent ones.

For more discussion, hit the IRC channel! B)

Does anyone know if there's is a very small interface that uses less system resources?

The regular graphical one sucks up WAY too many resources. Even on my PIII 1GHz box, the GUI uses 30% CPU. That is with all of the animated stuff turned off.

It would be really sweet to have a GUI that was ultra small and monitor both of the instances running on my duallie system.

Right now I just have them running in the system tray with the GUI closed.

Ben

Does anyone know if there's is a very small interface that uses less system resources?

The regular graphical one sucks up WAY too many resources.  Even on my PIII 1GHz box, the GUI uses 30% CPU.  That is with all of the animated stuff turned off.

It would be really sweet to have a GUI that was ultra small and monitor both of the instances running on my duallie system.

Right now I just have them running in the system tray with the GUI closed.

Ben

http://www.firedaemon.com/

Run it as a service. Hope this helps!

Yeah that's what I meant.  What's wrong with JVM?

I choose not to run JVM on my machine for philosophical and practical reasons. Forgetting the philosophical, Microsoft has pretty much dropped support for java and it's turning into a mostly *nix platform...

I'd be happy to put my P4 3.5GHz machine to work for D2OL if they had a non-java client, though. Has anyone looked into a .NET client?

-- Rick

Looks like Free-DC is hot on our tail. They had twice the daily production today. Lets not let the team die out.

As far as the java thing, I downloaded the sun java, but the program doesn't use java if you don't have the gui up, right?

To the potential future teammates, why not sign up? We have come a long way, lets shoot for 4th place.

We just finished moving our stuff into our new house so I've been offline for a while. I just dumped 1,151 units. B)

C

I've got my duallies up and running.

My dual P3 1GHz averages about 75 cands/day.

My dual P2 400MHz averages about 30 cands/day.

Within the next week or so, I'll have a dual P3 850 and an Athlon 1800 box up and running.

Later,

Ben

We just finished moving our stuff into our new house so I've been offline for a while.  I just dumped 1,151 units.  B)

C

Quite a battle going on between you, photoz and myself! I wondered if you had a dump coming up as you seemed to have slowed a little. I need to find another system to use some of my inactive node.prp files on...

I'll be running my client in bursts cause Rome has been very hot lately and have had thermal stability issues. I'll do my best to keep productivity high but can't promise lots fo work done.

Guest Eugene
I'll be running my client in bursts cause Rome has been very hot lately and have had thermal stability issues. I'll do my best to keep productivity high but can't promise lots fo work done.

Do people -really- run machines whose stability fluctuates due to ambient temperature? :(

Do people -really- run machines whose stability fluctuates due to ambient temperature? :(

We had an unusual heat wave here in the Mediterranean these past two days with record temperatures. My box is actually in the corner of my room hidden behind some stuff (which I can't move) and it doesn't breath very well. I also have a shitty layout and a weak fan.

Yes, when Rome is hot my PC is behaving strangely. <_<

BUMP

You need to give those stats of your's a bump as well! You're starting to fall behind in our 3-way battle for 3rd.. :)

My production is the best my two little nodes can do 24/7.

If anybody is interested in hosting the files, I've put together some easy to follow (I think) instructions with ready-made config/batch files for running D2OL as a service without the need to use FireDaemon or the like. It uses Microsoft's SRVANY tool from the resource kit.

Packaged in a single zip file it's only 27kb.

Any takers?

If you're wondering why bother.....?

There's a number of advantages to running D2OL in this manner

- If you have a system that is in a location with frequent power outages, as soon as power is restored to the system you'll be back crunching without the need to regularly check up on the system (this was my motivation - I have a couple of nodes in this circumstance)

- It survives users logging in/out, so if you have a system that requires multiple people to log in with different user accounts it keeps crunching

- It's an unobtrusive manner to run D2OL - no windows or tasktray icons; even with FireDaemon you'll have it's (FireDaemon's) icon showing. Handy if you're the type to run around setting up nodes on other peoples' systems...

If you're wondering why bother.....?

There's a number of advantages to running D2OL in this manner

- If you have a system that is in a location with frequent power outages, as soon as power is restored to the system you'll be back crunching without the need to regularly check up on the system (this was my motivation - I have a couple of nodes in this circumstance)

- It survives users logging in/out, so if you have a system that requires multiple people to log in with different user accounts it keeps crunching

- It's an unobtrusive manner to run D2OL - no windows or tasktray icons; even with FireDaemon you'll have it's (FireDaemon's) icon showing.  Handy if you're the type to run around setting up nodes on other peoples' systems...

I am very interested in this, it would prolly allow me to fire up all my old dead nodes.

I am very interested in this, it would prolly allow me to fire up all my old dead nodes.

Is that an offer to host the files? Send me a pm with your email address and I'll send you the files

hmm... it seems Eugene and Clocker were a split personality, and have realised they are now a single person called Eugene :D

Not true. I have taken a break from distributed computing and have donated all my work units to Eugene.

C