Prof.Wizard

SR's D2OL Metacomputing Team

Screw, Mars,

Will you guys hurry the frick up?!?

I've been at #2 way longer than I deserve (I only have 5 machines running at the moment).

Thank you for your time,

FranK Russo

5 is probably more than most of the rest of us. I only have 3 machines, although one is a duallie.

Screw, Mars,

Will you guys hurry the frick up?!?

I've been at #2 way longer than I deserve (I only have 5 machines running at the moment).

Thank you for your time,

FranK Russo

What's under the hood?

A variety. The 5 that usually run are a p4 laptop, a Dell 550, a deskpro en 733, an athlon 1333, and a XP1700+ (mild overclock).

I also have a Dell poweredge 6300 quad P3 Xeon 550, but it heats up my office, and a Dual PPro Vectre XU that keeps breaking.

Frank

I have to take my two machines off-line for a while but you can be rest-assured that I will have a work unit POWER DUMP when I get back...

CLocker

Nice work so far team, com'n people join join join! :P

Can we reach 100 members and 300 nodes by the end of February?

BIOHazard Research Group Italy seems toast to me. hardCOREware is not productive either. We can be in TOP 5 if we try a little harder! B)

The #10 spot is proving much more difficult than I had anticipated. If some of you would change the email address on your fastest computers to my own for a while, I would greatly appreciate it. :D

The #10 spot is proving much more difficult than I had anticipated. If some of you would change the email address on your fastest computers to my own for a while, I would greatly appreciate it.  :D

Yeah mdeth, lend Sivar a hand! You don't really want to take my #7 spot away from me do you? ;)

Heh Sivar, you actually had spot #10 for a brief amount of time before I got it. I've only got one really quick machine(due to dual CPU), the rest are nothing great.

The list is now: Dual P3 1.4, Pentium 4 1.8 at 2.4, Pentium 4 1.6, Celeron 2.4 at 2.88 , Celeron 1.4, Celeron 1.3, Pentium 3 866, Pentium 3 533. I had my brother's AthlonXP1600+ running too but he's back at school.

The faster Pentium 3s, P3 based Celerons and the Athlon are pretty good at D2OL. The overclocked P4 Northwood is quick too. The P4 based Celeron is a slug at it despite its huge clockspeed.

The faster Pentium 3s, P3 based Celerons and the Athlon are pretty good at D2OL.  The overclocked P4 Northwood is quick too. The P4 based Celeron is a slug at it despite its huge clockspeed.

I have noticed this as well. Alot of my nodes are P4 celerons and they are s l o w. Even the 2 P4 2.0's I have running are much slower than my athlons at home. As an example I have a duron 1.0 @ 1.33 (133 fsb) and its MUCH faster (at least 1.5x) at d2ol than a celeron 2.2. Weird.

Hi guys! I'm looking to get some feedback on my D2OL stats site that I have HERE. A couple of things that I have planned include an overall trend line in the team and individual graphs, and the ability to compare production between individuals and teams graphically. Feel free to either email me, drop by the DC forum at AnandTech and leave a message in my stats posting there, or leave me a message on the D2OL forum.

And don't forget to welcome your newest member today, JHS! :)

Geoff

The faster Pentium 3s, P3 based Celerons and the Athlon are pretty good at D2OL.  The overclocked P4 Northwood is quick too. The P4 based Celeron is a slug at it despite its huge clockspeed.

I doubt the P3 Celerons fare much better than the P4 Celerons. I had a Celeron 600, and it churned through a whopping 4-5 unts per day if I left it on all day.

Most efficient D2OL cranking setup I can think of would be to make a hive of these:

Duron 1.6 + ECS K7VTA3 8.0 $39

Heatsink $10

Generic case w/300 $39

512 generic DDR $60

Generic old pci vid Free (have many lying around the house)

Total for one unit: $150

Unlock Durons extra cache via L2 and conductive paint. Crank the fsb to 166 and run at 2.0Ghz.

Onboard NIC PXE boot to some fancy server. (no drives needed)

I doubt the P3 Celerons fare much better than the P4 Celerons. I had a Celeron 600, and it churned through a whopping 4-5 unts per day if I left it on all day.

Aha, thats what everyone thinks ;) until you see that the Celerons 1.2 ghz and faster (and the 1.1A) are really just 100 mhz FSB Pentium III's in disguise. They have the full 256KB of L2 cache, which really seems to be the kicker that makes them relatively competitive. Meanwhile the P4 Celerons currently are still crippled with 128KB of L2, which hurts the P4 even worse than it hurts the P3 version.

Hi guys!  I'm looking to get some feedback on my D2OL stats site that I have HERE.  A couple of things that I have planned include an overall trend line in the team and individual graphs, and the ability to compare production between individuals and teams graphically.  Feel free to either email me, drop by the DC forum at AnandTech and leave a message in my stats posting there, or leave me a message on the D2OL forum.

And don't forget to welcome your newest member today, JHS!  :)

Geoff

I tried the link and was unable to load the page. I then noticed you are linking to an IP that is not visible from the internet (192.168.xxx.xxx). If you are running a local web server, you need to provide the IP assigned to you by your provider.

Hey guys, just installed this on a few PC's and joined the team! Hope to get annother one or two and running in a few weeks too.

I have made a couple of observations while trying the tips in this thread.

Running D2ol as a service (using FireDaemon) under Win2kPro caused Matlab (for example) to stall at load. It would start fine when it was not a service. Also, for the regular install, opening the history explorer bar in ie is very slow.

On my P4 with Hyperthreading under WinXP Pro, a second install WAS necessary to take the CPU beyond 50% (or just over). So with that in mind here are some PC specs.

P4 2.4B, 256MB, Win2k Pro

P4 2.4C @ 3.01, 1024MB (2 nodes - HT), WinXP Pro

AMD 1.4 Athlon, 768MB, Win2k AS

Building

P4 2.53B, OS TBD

Celeron 433, Linux, type TBD :)

My P4 3.2 processed fewer units per week in dual node and hyperthreading than it does with HT off and a single node. The only way I would run 2 nodes is if I had to have HT on for another process. Processor runs at 100% now without the overhead of HT ;)

Has anyone else noticed this?

My P4 3.2 processed fewer units per week in dual node and hyperthreading than it does with HT off and a single node. The only way I would run 2 nodes is if I had to have HT on for another process.  Processor runs at 100% now without the overhead of HT ;)

Has anyone else noticed this?

Yes, its simply because the D2OL client doesn't properly support multiprocessor systems or HT (which to it looks the same). D2OL ends up using 50% on each CPU for each one of its threads. You can set the affinity to one of the processors and it will max out properly on one CPU, but then when it gets to the next bunch of conformers to test the processes will be restarted, and the affinity will be lost.

I have a Dual PIII-S 1.4 Ghz system that I have to run two clients on to max out, and I don't have the option of turning off HT heh ;)

BIOHazard Research Group Italy is already a thing of the past! Good work guys! B)

Hi guys!  I'm looking to get some feedback on my D2OL stats site that I have HERE.  A couple of things that I have planned include an overall trend line in the team and individual graphs, and the ability to compare production between individuals and teams graphically.  Feel free to either email me, drop by the DC forum at AnandTech and leave a message in my stats posting there, or leave me a message on the D2OL forum.

And don't forget to welcome your newest member today, JHS!  :)

Geoff

I tried the link and was unable to load the page. I then noticed you are linking to an IP that is not visible from the internet (192.168.xxx.xxx). If you are running a local web server, you need to provide the IP assigned to you by your provider.

LOL... I'm a putz... that's the url I need to use inside the firewall... try THIS one! :P

My team-nonspecific stats are HERE

I've added a rolling 24 hour accumulation of node information and a page where you can create a list of your nodes and check their stats. You can access the nodes page from your individual stats history page. I think it's pretty self-explanitary, but all you need to do is get a list of your nodes from the Sengent Teams link, and add them on the new page that I have created. You can optionally include a description of that node to make it easier to identify it. If you make a mistake, just remove the node by typing the node number in the Remove Node box and hit submit.

Now... a few notes...

- the page is quite wide, so some of you may have scrolling issues or wrapping issues

- the userid is passed on the url, so, a little trick you can use to see the nodes for a mini-team that doesn't exist in the Sengent stats would be to replace the userid in the URL to one that doesn't already exist. This will give you a blank list of nodes. Add the nodes you want and bookmark the page (since you can't access it from a link in the individual stats since the userid doesn't exist!), and keep track of your mini-team!

- there is no registration process and no password protection, so PLEASE don't mess with other people's node lists!

I'm not sure I like the graph on the main page... What do you guys think? Is overall progress meaningful? Would it be more informative to show actual production instead of the accumulated total? Would it be better to bag is completely?

LMK what you think!

Geoff

- there is no registration process and no password protection, so PLEASE don't mess with other people's node lists!

Dude, I really don't think that's smart. Can you remove the page from public access until it's secured?