Prof.Wizard

SR's D2OL Metacomputing Team

This thread has as raison d'être to remind all SR members that our site is running a team for the distributed-metacomputing project D²OL. You can download the client and join our team by following this link.

This thread may be regularly appended to chat about further developments of the project and members'-team's classification, and of course, as an instrument for the publicity of our project.

Let me remind you, for legacy reasons, that the previous United Devices SR Team is still active, and if you continue contributing there (or you see this for the first time and you've been crunching so far alone or in another team) it's OK to be part of that team as well.

So, download the client and contribute under the SR flag! Remember you're doing this for a panhuman cause... it is worthy! :)

Hey SR-

Try something new...you will like D2OL better! It has better stats and offers us a fresh start on a relatively new project. We can have a really strong showing if we band together in something new!

C

Guest Eugene

In my view, the next step would be a FAQ entry under the community section explaining how to join and why this particular project was chosen... preferrably by Clocker, PW, or both :).

Once that's in place, we can modify the nav frame to include a "Team SR" link to the FAQ entry and then we'll be clear for a front-page post.

Installed the client, and it get's hung up on trying to register saying that "the error appears to be due to something other than your network connection."

"The problem may be due to a server outage"

I hope this isn't a sign of things to come.

I did a little looking around and found this.

"We will be rebuilding the servers today from scratch, as this has proven to provide much greater stability after the hardware fixes. Member services and stats will be unavailable until this has been completed which will be several hours.

Your patience helps us all

--------------------

Charles Beckius

D20L Forum Administrator"

Thanks for the update Primate. I was going nuts trying to figure out why the client worked well when I installed it yesterday on a wired workstation, but couldn't find it's server when I installed it a wireless LAN client today...apparently the cause DOES lie elsewhere.

Future Shock

Good to see you again Primate. Nice to have you onboard.

Playing CS much? I remember you were pretty deadly with the AK as well as the Para (1-2 shot bursts). I play occasionally at the servers at www.csreloaded.com They are the guys that started an offshoot from the old SR CS servers Eugene had running at some point (CSR). I believe it was originally Conuter-Strike Review (in honor of SR) and then changed to CS reloaded...

Man those were the days! :-)

C

I haven't played CS in quite some time, since at least before the last major update. I think it was 1.5?

I was playing at CSR right before I quit though.

It was a long time ago, but was a lot of fun.

Their server is still down :\

I decided to reboot to see if that helped.

When the machine came back up, it initialized right away and downloaded 50 tasks.

I downloaded the client and I'm running it right now. But I still haven't got any e-mail from them. It's been about 20 to 30 minutes now. How long did it take you guys to get your account info and everything?

Their servers are now up...

FS

I got mine turned around within the last 5 minutes....no problems.

Anyone tried the Linux Client?

Guest Eugene
I downloaded the client and I'm running it right now. But I still haven't got any e-mail from them. It's been about 20 to 30 minutes now. How long did it take you guys to get your account info and everything?

I'm under the impression that one doesn't have to wait for an email... the email address just seems to be some kind of key that verifies you're claiming the right nodes.

Correct. Your address is your ID. As you add machines, use the same e-mail addresses and the nodes will automatically be added to your ID. No need to wait for e-mails.

C

Correct.  Your address is your ID.  As you add machines, use the same e-mail addresses and the nodes will automatically be added to your ID.  No need to wait for e-mails.

C

'addresses' should have read 'address'

Cool, so on the competitive side.....what hardware are ya'll throwing at this thing?

I'm just doing a couple Barton 2800+s

Howdy again. What do you guys think of this introduction with instructions?

I can't re-register and re-join so if somebody would follow the instructions and let me know if I messed anything up, I'd appreciate it.

ddrueding1-

I'm running two AthlonXP 2400+'s. One on a 400mhz bus.

C

I got mine turned around within the last 5 minutes....no problems.

Anyone tried the Linux Client?

I'm running the Linux client without incident.

If you're switch to D2OL, don't forget to retire from the UD Team by logging into UD, and going to the SR stats page....

C

Cool, so on the competitive side.....what hardware are ya'll throwing at this thing?

Dual P3s @ 733Mhz and a 2.1Ghz P4...I feel like a wimp looking at the other scores - time to go build a new system soon...

FS

Dual P3s @ 733Mhz and a 2.1Ghz P4...I feel like a wimp looking at the other scores - time to go build a new system soon...

FS

LOL, too bad my personal server is a VIA 600Mhz, not much point in installing the client on a system without a math co-processor or FPU.....

Wow, my time per thingy is really low...

11mins/candidate and 33 secs/Conformer

compared to the team average of 20mins/1min

are my systems really that fast?

The fastest of the bunch is actually one of the gaming systems I built (specs here)

It'll be cool to have this on all 30 of the gaming systems every night....