Prof.Wizard

LOOKING FOR A NEW 'SR' METACOMPUTING PROJECT

Hello SR crunchers!

There has been some time since the last rallying. :) As you may already know StorageReview.com has its own team participating in United Devices metacomputing projects. Our team has been actively crunching for almost two years now. Thanks to you participators (especially mholda) we have contributed some whopping 149 years, 90 days, 4 hours, 17 minutes, and 45 seconds of CPU crunching time! (statistics as of 10/10/2003 23:59:59)

We are the 76th most prolific team in regard to points (ie. useful results returned) and we think we have achieved much in this community. However, as captain of this team I think we're running out of steam lately. Strangely we had today two new member subscriptions, after 5 months. Some of you may have got bored of this project cause it's old, other might find it unglamorous. Other still might think there are better crunching algorithms and projects out there and we need to set to zero this competition and start "showing off" our machines in a new contest! B) (afterall mholda is so far, he has almost himself half the contributed points!)

So, what I want from you the next couple of days is SUGGESTIONS! Suggestions and opinions of alternative metacomputing projects. Projects you've heard they work OK, they have a small client which can run easily as a service (both for Windows and other platforms, preferably). Projects which can contribute to the advancement of a common panhuman goal. Having our own team and crunching is a healthy mean of competition between SR members, which can finally put their oh-so-amazing equipment (and rocking HDDs!) at work, instead of killing each other in Europe vs America threads in the Bar & Grille. ;)

TIA,

Constantine.

As founder of Team Storagereview, I just rejoined after being retired for a while. :)

As founder of Team Storagereview, I just rejoined after being retired for a while.  :)

Good to know that, Clocker. :)

Here alternative www.find-a-drug project. The guy in charge of the project is Keith Davies, scientist and programmer of THINK device. It was used at first stage of UD project. I have more then five years experience in taking part in UD project. Now calculative part of the new THINK is 40 times quicker then Ligand in UD. Very high degree of openness compare to UD. All F&D community consist of very intelligent and clever people. Many of them are system administrators. And reasons why F-a-D you can find here http://forum.find-a-drug.com/viewtopic.php?t=1013 English is not my native language that why it difficult to me to explain details. Please browser their pages and the forum.

Looks interesting. I read more about it this evening. And I liked the fact it's serious and multi-platform (Windows and Linux).

Thanks for the heads up, vltk.

Other distributed computing projects that I know of are from Distributed.net, SETI@Home, and also the protein folding one from UCBerkley. Those are a few suggestions that I have.

Course...it'd be nice if someone can decompile the UD agent, and tweak it so that it works on SMP systems.

The distributed.net projects AFAIK are cryptography-busting algorithms. We're not really helping humanity there, at least NOT directly. Of course encryption has many implications in other aspects of the human society.

Thanks for the ideas so far, keep it coming! I looked upon find-a-drug and seems rather promising. Has anyone experience running this very client? Is it stable?

...and also the protein folding one from UCBerkley. Those are a few suggestions that I have...

Did you mean the one from Stanford? Folding@home or still other?

Has anyone experience running this very client? Is it stable?

I would like to know this too as I'd be interested in trying something new. Also, if we can get into a computing project early on, we can have a better chance to getting to and keeping the top spot...

C

Anandtech's FAQs on distributed computing have a fair bit of useful information, including Find-a-Drug.

Something health related should be pretty much acceptable to everyone.

Why not just stay with UD?

Davin,

I'm pleased someone asks this, especially that the person is you, one of SR's administrators. Instead of responding you with a PM, I'll append this thread for the interest of everyone.

I've been monitoring the situation of our UD team these past months and I've seen we don't have a large number of new subscribers. I mean, the last rallying I made got us many members (as you can see in the new members of June-July 2002) but after this only 5, the last 2 only the day before yesterday, just when I raised again the problem. It's a shame in a community so big with many permanent members to have a so small number of crunchers.

Of course part of the blame goes to me; I should have rallied more often about it. But the greater part IMHO is that the project is now fairly old and probably it's the reason some people feel reluctant to join, just to see themselves in the bottom of the classification, either as members of the team or between teams.

These teams should have a turn-over just to keep the interest going. We weren't one of the first teams to start UD either, so it's not that we're gonna abandon a top-10 position. As Clocker said, it would be nice if we hooked ourselves in a relatively new project, searching to rally the biggest number members possible (maybe with an ad in the homepage of SR).

Last but not least, who said we will completely abandon UD? Some of us (most of us?) SR fixtures have more than one PCs and we can leave those already crunching UD (mholda's many systems for example) doing what they do and install the new client on new machines. Gradually, of course, the results will be more consistent for the new project, but that's the whole idea afterall... reset the competition! ;)

Anandtech's FAQs on distributed computing have a fair bit of useful information, including Find-a-Drug.

Something health related should be pretty much acceptable to everyone.

Spod, this is an excellent source pal. Thank you! :)

I suggest everyone read about the various major projects Anandtech reviews and post your opinions here!

At the moment, I liked best Find-A-Drug!

findadrug1.jpg

findadrug3.jpg

I liked especially the width of projects available and the option given to make the client work on those you feel are more important.

I think SR is still positioned pretty decently, we're in the mid fifties when it comes to productivity and we're ranked in the 70's so we can still move up.

Of course, it would help if more people contributed. Based on the stats (and if I'm reading them right) it looks like Davin hasn't been contributing to our UD team for about a year now. Did I read that right?

I can either stay with UD or not. Either way is fine with me. But, here is another project that also looks interesting:

http://d2ol.sengent.com/stats/snapshot.jsp

Not sure how long it has been around but it sounds pretty new. If we switch, I think we should be looking for some ground-floor opportunities to get a jump on the pack.

C

PW-

I'll go with whatever team you guys decide on...just let me know. I'm just putting more options out there on the table...

It would be nice if we could all stay together on whatever is decided so we can be a powerful group. All these causes are good but dominating other teams is what I'm all about! :ph34r:

C

But, here is another project that also looks interesting:

http://d2ol.sengent.com/stats/snapshot.jsp

Not sure how long it has been around but it sounds pretty new.  If we switch, I think we should be looking for some ground-floor opportunities to get a jump on the pack.

C

Seems nice. And their site seems pretty neat, updated, and in order, indication they are serious people that have invested in the project.

The only thing I didn't like (minor of course) is the fact that it is focused on infectious diseases; something I personally believe is not a scourge in respect to cancer, protein-related diseases, and HIV. As I said, the strongpoint of Find-A-Cure is it gives the opportunity to independently focus on a variety of sub-projects.

Good point. I agree with you. Maybe we should start a poll in the forums and see if there is support for a change to FaD or if everybody wants to stay on UD. Either way, it would get peoples attention and probably improve participation..

C

I've been running SETI@Home for so long, seems a shame to stop now. I'm at about 5200 units 39,000 hours of computing time.

I've been running SETI@Home for so long, seems a shame to stop now. I'm at about 5200 units 39,000 hours of computing time.

Wasted computing time. Totally futile.

SETI is a dream they won't let die... :(

C'mon, it's the perfect reason to pass on a new project!

Maybe we should start a poll in the forums and see if there is support for a change to FaD or if everybody wants to stay on UD.

C

You may not be in need to choose beetween projects. You can take part in different projecrs simultaneously, as people do at Xtreme PC Central (SETI, RC5 and F-a-D)

http://www.xtremepccentral.com/forums/foru....php?forumid=46

and at TechIMO, where we have (F-a-D, UD, ECCR, SETI)

http://www.techimo.com/forum/f17/index.html

Need to mention that F-a-D and UD have same priorities and deviding CPU time by half.

You may not be in need to choose beetween projects. You can take part in different projecrs simultaneously, as people do...

This is actually IMO the recommended course of action. Why argue when we can work on multiple projects simultaneously. Of course this will mean divide our CPU cycles between various clients, but I don't think it will be a serious issue since it should be balanced by more persons subscribing to work for SR's teams... ;)

What do you think? Shall we create a team for every major project?

(btw, I've already created- just to register the name- one for Folding@home, but please don't start contributing until we have all agreed...)

Clocker: Why don't you create a team for D²OL?

vltk: Would you like to register an SR team for F-a-D?

THIS IS DONE TO SECURE THE NAMES, DON'T START CONTRIBUTING CAUSE WE HAVEN'T DECIDED YET!!! WE MIGHT DROP SOME PROJECTS IN THE END. REMEMBER, THE LAST WORD GOES TO THE SR ADMINS.

vltk: Would you like to register an SR team for F-a-D?

With great pleasure. But to this moment I contribute more then 6 years to F-a-D project. And I registered in Ukraine team also. But in a week I will finished my bareborn Shuttle 45G (Athlon XP3200 based device) and can put it to work with Storage Review team.

Well I'm already crunching through some find a drug as to me that what my laptop is for.

My PC is still crunching through Seti Units for my Team :D

Anyway, Seti will be swithching to BOINC and so there'll be EVEN more choice soon, stay with Seti, run some other related projects (AstroPulse etc) OR run some new unrelated BOINC projects.

Problem with BOINC is the results (well in the beta's anyway) are only put into a team which is project related. Find-A-Drug puts it all into one big team no matter what project your looking at. :D

As for the Climate prediction, last time I looked (a couple of weeks ago) you could not have teams and the client made my computers unusable. Unlike other Dist. Projects where you don't notice it. Also they ask for people that will not be doing it part time but who are going to leave the computer on constantly due to the time it takes to do one 'crunch' ~6weeks for a standard PC.

A Case of Good cause but probably more suited for a bunch of School/University computers where they never get turned off.

vltk, when you change team at Find-a-Drug, doesn't all you time and work just get moved to the new team (ie old team looses it all and the new team now gets it all).

AFAIK unless you register under another name you cannot contribute to 2 teams.

I started a team and will crunch for it part until we decide what to do with it (just to make sure it stays alive and active).

C