Davin

Hitachi Deskstar 7K250

I was deciding which drive to get when I came across this thread. I'd just like to know if the cat squeal is as loud as the mp3 (with respect to the noise from the fans). If it is, I'll drop this drive from my list of choices.

The 7K250 cat noise is by far the loudest sound my computer makes. (It's a quiet system though, with only the power supply fan and a slow 80mm fan on the CPU.)

I'm very pleased with the performance of the drive, but I wish there was some way to get rid of this noise. For now, I just turn the computer off at night...

Well, I just moved my PC from my Chieftec BX-02 case into an Antec SLK-3700BQE. It's Antec's "quiet" case. The howling cat from my 7K250 is almost inaudable now, thanks to the rubber grommit HDD mountings.

Amazingly, the PSU that came with this case was REALLY loud - I ripped it out and put in my old mainstay Sparkle with it's silent red LED fan. :)

Got a question. Newegg sells two versions of the drive, both got identical model number - HDS722525VLAT80, however the part numbers are different and the price also differs by a few bucks. Same situation with zipzoomfly - they also got two identical drives but with different part numbers and different prices.

Anybody knows what's up with that? I'm totally confused...

Got a question. Newegg sells two versions of the drive, both got identical model number - HDS722525VLAT80, however the part numbers are different and the price also differs by a few bucks. Same situation with zipzoomfly - they also got two identical drives but with different part numbers and different prices.

Anybody knows what's up with that? I'm totally confused...

that really confused me too. because of that, i just decided to buy 2 74gb raptors (and enjoy the $50 mail-in rebate from newegg) instead of buying 1 74gb raptor and 1 250gb 7k250 HDS722525VLAT80. i tried searching for reviews and looking at what part numbers their drives had, but couldn't really find a part number on the drives. maybe i'm just blind?

This night my 7K250  woke me up again... "EEEEEE-LOUD CLICK-EEEEE"

:blink:

lol man, how close is it to the place you sleep?

Mine's around 2 metres and the sound is pretty bearable. Actually I would have preferred to have continuous meow if I could sleep for a few hours more. Doesn't really annoy my iron mind ;)

Concerning my question about Hitachi HDS722525VLAT80 drive confusion above - I got the answer back from both newegg and zipzoomfly.

Here's what newegg said:

Dear Customer,

These drives are the same. The reason why we have them listed as

differents item #'s is because we purchased different shipments from

different Hitachi vendors. Whenever Newegg gets an item for cheaper cost, we

pass the savings on to the customer. That is the reason for the price

difference. I hope this information was helpful.

and here's zipzoomfly's answer:

Dear Customer,

According to our purchasing department, item #100588-1 is a newer version of 100588. However, they are not quite sure if there are any major differences between the 2 versions. You may contact Hitachi directly if you'd like further details on these 2 drives:

So it appears that drives are basically the same, just different shipments obtained at different prices. There might be firmware differences but I don't think CS will be able to tell me such details...

Now got another question... Can anyone answer me - is that normal for 7K250 drives to produce that loud click noise as if the drive is parking heads once in a while?

Now got another question... Can anyone answer me - is that normal for 7K250 drives to produce that loud click noise as if the drive is parking heads once in a while?

Yeah, that's what Hitachi Support wrote me, it is normal.

Yeah, that's what Hitachi Support wrote me, it is normal.

It happens every 24 hours and that's what wake me up every few days. :D

Btw, what was Hitachi's answer in details? I'm just wondering why is this good for the drive.

thanks

Many user swear by the response from hitachi tech support person's email. and think this 'cat' is normal but what we really need is an offical statement from hitachi.

until then we are the guinea pig and only time will tell if its normal. (i am skeptic so sue me).

Many user swear by the response from hitachi tech support person's email. and think this 'cat' is normal but what we really need is an offical statement from hitachi.

until then we are the guinea pig and only time will tell if its normal. (i am skeptic so sue me).

Read the topic, I was one of those who wrote to Hitachi and quoted the full answer here.

What we're now talking about is a head load/unload cycle that the drive does once a day.

Hi,

I've bought two Hitachi Deskstar 7K250 160GB two weeks ago. And while the cat meow noise first only happened rarely (and I really thought there's a cat somewhere around the house :lol: ), it now makes this noise very often. Not only 10-20 Minutes but also often several times in a Minute! Sometimes with click, other times only meoow! I use the drives as a Raid0 array and this noise is killing my nerves! Please somebody tell me that this can't be normal and that there's a way to get rid of the sound (expect for exchanging the dtives)!

Check the whole thread - it looks like decoupling the drives from the case (grommet mounting, novibes, elastic suspension, sitting on foam, etc.) may help significantly. Don't forget to make sure the drivesare still well cooled, though.

I just added a 250MB 7k250 to my Mac G5 and there is only a very small noise increase. The other drive is the very quiet Seagate 160MB standard equipment. The Hitachi is somewhat noisier accessing, reading and writing, but I have to get under the desk and really pay attention to hear it. There is no meow, screech or loud clicks. There is a slight whine at idle, and light ratcheting sounds when working. There is some added fan noise, but I only noticed it the first day. Perhaps the way drives are mounted in the G5 makes a difference. The drives are mounted on rails and just snap into place.

I've only had it a week, but so far it's great - much faster than the Seagate. Hope the noise doesn't increase as others have reported. ThermographX reports drive bay heat increase of only two degrees with the added drive, a pleasant surprise.

Hi there!

I've just bought my drive 2 days ago. Performance is superb, but the cat woke up. I hear fewer "meow"-s than on the first day. The drive is in an external box with the lid taken off. It was assembled in Thailand, so the theroy about Hungarian drives are not true. The date on the antistatic bag is "2004-mar". (I couldn't put it into my case, so it's not possible to read the revision code, serial, etc out.)

It feels a bit like the more you use it, the less "meow" you get. :unsure: But it's only a feeling, I've been using the hdd only for 2 days. The cat seems to meow when going to idle. I hope this sound can be reduced by using some rubber hdd mounting.

SR sould have mentioned this! :angry: I've bought this because of the great review. As I said, performance is top notch, but this would have been taken into consideration before buying.

(Sorry for grammatical mistakes, English and German are my second and third language besides Hungarian . ;) )

I don't think any 7K250 drives are manufactured in Hungary; in fact I haven't seen any since the 75GXPs; correct me if I'm wrong though. I've seen 7K250 drives manufactured in Japan, though.

SR sould have mentioned this!  :angry: I've bought this because of the great review. As I said, performance is top notch, but this would have been taken into consideration before buying.

They did mention this. If you did a search on SR, 7k250, you'll see it's mentioned several times just on the first page of results. Besides, that's what this whole discussion thread is for.

SR sould have mentioned this!  :angry: I've bought this because of the great review. As I said, performance is top notch, but this would have been taken into consideration before buying.

They did mention this. If you did a search on SR, 7k250, you'll see it's mentioned several times just on the first page of results. Besides, that's what this whole discussion thread is for.

They did NOT mention this in the review.

I just bought the K250 from Fry's for 258.59 out the door. There is a $140 mail in rebate. How good is Hitachi with their mail in rebates? Should I be worried about not receiving my rebate?

back again.

I owned this supercat(7k250) almost amonth ago. I believe it is making the meow sound alot less frequent than when I first got it.

The "EEEEEE-LOUD CLICK-EEEEE" still gives me the chill sometimes... becos it kind of sound like the "head banging" noise coming from my dying CDROM.

well I am getting used to it. all i need is a fast 7200 drive so i dont need to wait any longer. and I got it. This cat is fast and I like it

and no the sound cannot be reduced special mounting material. its generated from inside the hdd. unless u use some sound absorbing material around the hdd / inside ur pc casing.