Davin

Hitachi Deskstar 7K250

How do i find out the firmware of the drives etc etc and all the other info you guys have asked for

My drive 80Gb SATA was bought late feb 2004

my mates 4 drives were bought simultaneously off Dabs.com in early Feb 2004

after listening to that MP3 ive since removed my case (my mate wont let me do that to his tho) and listened in a quiet room and nope No noise made

Ive got 4 drives one raptor 74 gb 1 120gxp ibm 1 30 gb maxtor (not sure which) and the 80gb SATA hitachi and none make any noises that are out of the ordinary at all.

Im going on holiday shortly tho for 5 weeks so i might not be able to do what u guys ask till i get back

JEREMY

after listening to that MP3 ive since removed my case (my mate wont let me do that to his tho) and listened in a quiet room and nope No noise made

If it's going to make the noise, it's going to do it at exact 10 minute intervals. Listen for at least 10 minutes and see if you hear anything out of the ordinary.

The jury is still out as to whether there are indeed 7k250s that don't make the noise.

did that i listened for 12 mins and nope no noise this is with the case cover off

JEREMY

Well it looks as though you may be one of the lucky ones. As for when it was manufactured..., just look on your hard drive itself. I know you said you bought it in Feb, but that could mean that it was manuf. in Jan 2004. Just look on the label on the hard drive, and it will say manuf. ... Thanks.

StevoB

I have 80 GB SATA manufactured oct-2003. I can hear this strange sound only few times per day. Sometimes i'm working 6-7 hrs and its ok and sometimes i hear this sound two or three times per hour. My computer is very silent and i can hear every strange sounds but this sound is very quiet and don't disturb me. But after two months of working my Hitachi is much noisier in iddle..:(

manufactured jan 04

Jeremy

im off for my holiday so i wont be about for about 5 weeks

Wow, thats quite the vacation... If you feel like quiting someday, let us know first, so we can get our resumes in.

ok i look up all the info u guys asked for my disks

Rob (my mate with 4 hitachis ) does not want me to open up his case

my info is

V32OA60A firmware

HDS722580VLSA80 Model

JEREMY

it makes no sense why i have an older firmware even tho mine says manufactured int jan 2004

from dabs.com

But anyway the long and short of it is mine does not make any noise so im happy

JEREMY

it makes no sense why i have an older firmware even tho mine says manufactured int jan 2004

from dabs.com

But anyway the long and short of it is mine does not make any noise so im happy

JEREMY

Well there goes everything I thought out the window. If you have an older firmware v320 and it does NOT make the noise, and someone who has v340 DOES make the noise, and some that have v330 say it does and some say it doesn't, then all theories are gone. The only factor seems to be LUCK!

StevoB

I must say I am very happy with my new Hitachi 7K250 120GB SATA. It's been perfectly running for one week now and I actually love that kitty smell inside.

Whoever says it's loud and /or annoying is wrong, however this is of course my personal opinion.

I got the 160gb S-ATA version. Manufactured in jan 2004, firmware V34OA60A and it does make the meow sound every now and then. It really does not bother me, and so far I am very happy with the disk, which replaced my old 75GXP.

Hmmm ... I have 2 x 180GXP that don't make any sound, and 1 x 120GXP that makes that sound (but more like a clicking, about 1 every 20 minutes.

I had another 120GXP, and the clicking sound got more and more frequent until the whole drive died. So now I dislike any kind of clicking sound...

Hmmm ... I have 2 x 180GXP that don't make any sound, and 1 x 120GXP that makes that sound (but more like a clicking, about 1 every 20 minutes.

I had another 120GXP, and the clicking sound got more and more frequent until the whole drive died.  So now I dislike any kind of clicking sound...

Now, how about reading the topic? :)

I wonder what shape the drives that are silent are?

My noisy 7K250 looks quite different to the one pictured on the review at SR. The base of mine is quite thin, with a round stainless top - almost like the old IDE Fujitsu drives.

I have had an HDS722512VLAT80 120GB PATA drive since December, and it has (so far) functioned perfectly. It is tremendously fast compared to my previous Western Digital Caviar 120GB drive, and it doesn't seem to make any kind of substantial noise? I'm very happy with it!

I do have a good case (Lian-Li 61), which has 4 substantial case fans, and a special tray mechanism for containing the hard drives securely near to the dual fan intake. If you are having problems with noise, have you tried ensuring that the hard drive is well cooled, and firmly secured to your computer case in both sides?

The meowing noise is indeed very loud and VERY annoying!

I 'solved' the meowing by enclosing the hard drive into QuietPC's Silent Drive Acoustic Enclosure.

Don't worry about heat, the 7K250 has the lowest power consumption @ 5W.

The seeking and meowing noise has all but ceased!

Now I get the blistering performance of 7k250 with possibly the quietest operation of any hard drive.

If so, I don't understand why it can't be a normal seek.  Why does it have to be a slow seek that makes a horrible noise?

That's it. I don't understand this too.

I wonder what shape the drives that are silent are?

My noisy 7K250 looks quite different to the one pictured on the review at SR.  The base of mine is quite thin, with a round stainless top - almost like the old IDE Fujitsu drives.

The 1 platter models have base cover. IMHO they are quieter, I have one and it meows nicely ;)

Guest CoolCat

I bought the 7K250 120GB PATA 3 month ago, after reading this review

I really didn't believe the users who said it was making noise every 10 minutes, but they were right. Exactly every 10 minutes this drive makes a meow-sound that can be heard in the next room. It is absolutely not a quiet drive.

2 days ago my drive suddenly started to sound like formatting a floppy-drive. It just says 'klunk... klunk... klunk...'. If I turn the computer off, then on, it just continues. The bios doesn't find the drive anymore.

I'm very disappointed with this drive !!

Hi I wanted to chime in on my experience with a 200GB/8MB PATA version of this drive. Bought it last week from Fry's and it also has a manufacture date of Jan 2004. Unsure of how to check my firmware version, but I haven't done anything to it in that regard. Just removed it from the box and plugged it right in.

I have it in an Antec SLK3700BQE isolated from the drive cage with the included rubber grommets and I haven't heard a peep out of it when it's idle. It's being used purely as a data drive, so it's idle almost all the time. My system stays on 24/7 and in the week that I've had it, I can say that I've never heard any kind of 'cat meowing' or 'creaky hinge' sounds.

Quietest and fastest PATA drive I've had the pleasure of using, very happy with it so far.

Yes, i think too the CASE CONSTRUCTION (with HD rubber grommets or not) makes a HUGE difference in the way people perceive (or not) this sound !!! *This* seems to be the crucial thing for those noise perturbations observed today with those new high-end ata drives (every brand). From every forums i checked, the 'solution' to really GREATLY reduce this nuisance seems well known now; the new 7200 ata drives are ALL very sensible to vibrations (well.. the cases around especially)... and rubber attaches have tremendeous repercutions on this noise (here, for the 7k750, the "cat noise".. but also every other "seeking/writing/reading" heavy noises well known on the Maxtors and even new 7200+ seagates; great effects on those drives too for regular seeking/reading for every people experimenting cases like that...). So, this seems to be also the reason why some people don't understand the complainings of others, and others that don't understand that others don't have problems ; all is greatly dependant of the CASE around (and HD attaches)!!

Now, i would have a question though (just curious); what formated capacity do you have on your 200Gb 7k250 (i know now the 250Gb do 232 real..); i never had the clear number for this 'new' 200Gb 7k250; i know that Seagate/WD 200 are 186Gb, Maxtor are 189Gb.. but could not find yet the exact number for this new 200Gb 7k250 !

I would really love to try one (or even 2!) with a brand new case Textorm 6419 (or 69U6) ; same type of case than the Sonata, with especially studied HD rubber fixes that reduce greatly thoses problems according to a lot of forum tests with those specific drives especially indeed. TIA!!

Yes, i think too the CASE CONSTRUCTION (with HD rubber grommets or not) makes a HUGE difference in the way people perceive (or not) this sound !!! *This* seems to be the crucial thing for those noise perturbations observed today with those new high-end ata drives (every brand).

Well, there's an easy way to test this. Everyone with a 7K250, take the drive out of the case (or as far out as you can without removing the cables, hold it in your hand for 10 minutes (while the PC is on), and see if it makes any miaow noise. Then post here with what, if anything, you heard, and how the character of the sound was different compared to it being in your case.

Also, tell us how you've got it mounted in your case, what case, whether the case is damped, on a hard surface/carpet, etc.

If it's much quieter in your hand than mounted in the case, then vibration is probably to blame, and damping mats, grommets and no-vibes may well help. If it miaows just as loud in your hand, then it's down to the drive, not the way it was mounted.

Well, there's an easy way to test this. Everyone with a 7K250, take the drive out of the case (or as far out as you can without removing the cables, hold it in your hand for 10 minutes (while the PC is on), and see if it makes any miaow noise.

I built two computers for a daycare center with 40 gig 7K250's in plastic removable hard drive caddies, so that the staff could easily disable the computer when they don't want the kids using it. The cat noise was still audible, but MUCH MUCH MUCH quieter than in my main system with a drive mounted directly to the case on a linoleum floor.

I personally enjoy the sound. I generally love cats.

I make sure the case is open and it's not using any rubbing so I could enjoy it to the fullest :)

Seriously.

I'm still considering buying a 7K250 drive, and i probably will. But that's not the reason for posting this. Apparently, this meow-like sounds are very annoying to a lot of people so the issue even got an article on the Inquirer - link. Some guy even recorded this meow, which i now think is a creeking of rusty hinges - mp3 creek. :huh:

lol. thanx for the mp3 link. It sounded like a cat moaning after getting banged by its partner lol

I was deciding which drive to get when I came across this thread. I'd just like to know if the cat squeal is as loud as the mp3 (with respect to the noise from the fans). If it is, I'll drop this drive from my list of choices.

Had 3 180GXP 120GB and they pwned my WD 120gb. Very smooth operation but I can't stand strange sounds like the one in the mp3. :D