Davin

Hitachi Deskstar 7K250

I've had my 160GB 7K250 in constant use for a month now and have not heard any 'meow' sound. How can I find out what version firmware drive is using? DFT?

Is the MP3 file for real? If so, that's an awful sound.

Just to say that i have bought a  120Go 7k250 8Mo UltraATA (HDS722512VLAT80) build in Jan 2004 (firmware V330A60A) and it doesn't make any sound. I don't screw it to my shuttle but just hold it between two little sheets of foam (1mm high), the drive can't move at all.

Hmm..., interesting. Maybe they fixed it. Real quick, can you tell me where you bought yours from. That way, if I decide to get it, I will also get a newer one (i.e. manuf. Jan 2004 or later). Also, did you update some firmware, or was that just what was loaded on the drive when you got it? Thanks.

Hi I wanted to chime in on my experience with a 200GB/8MB PATA version of this drive. Bought it last week from Fry's and it also has a manufacture date of Jan 2004. Unsure of how to check my firmware version, but I haven't done anything to it in that regard. Just removed it from the box and plugged it right in.

I have it in an Antec SLK3700BQE isolated from the drive cage with the included rubber grommets and I haven't heard a peep out of it when it's idle. It's being used purely as a data drive, so it's idle almost all the time. My system stays on 24/7 and in the week that I've had it, I can say that I've never heard any kind of 'cat meowing' or 'creaky hinge' sounds.

Quietest and fastest PATA drive I've had the pleasure of using, very happy with it so far.

For info DTemp shows my PATA 80GB 7K250 as having firmware V32OA60A.

This drive was bought in October 2003 (I don't feel like opening my case to check mfg. date...) and definitely makes the sound.

Is there anyone else out there, who has one manufactured after January 2004 that can confirm that there is no more meowing/whinning noise??? I think that would be a very valuable piece of information. TIA.

I must say that I love these drives.

I just got my 4th and 5th, and they are all super.

1xNovember 80GB - In old steel case. Only 128MB ram so it's never idle while used, but when it has idled 30-60 min it shuts out a loud meow, but I beleve the sound is that loud because of the old, large crappy steel case.

1xNovember 120GB - In semiloud barebone. I haven't heard any meow from it, but sometimes I can hear the "click" sound.

1xNovember 160GB - In ultraquiet barebone. (Spark 7 @ 1300 rpm, PSU with temp controled fan, VGA silencer @ low) Placed on dampening mat, and it makes no meow, but a "seek noise" and a click.

2xJanuar 120GB - These are at the moment in USB/FW enclosures, and not used 24/7, but I haven't heard any sound from them yet.

And to you that want to replace your 7k250's. To what? WD drives makes WAY more noise. I had two Seagate 7200.7 120GB S-ATA drives that I RMA'ed after two days because of the high pitched idle noice and the "stone crunching" write sound. Samsung has silent drives, but with low performance. And the Maxtor drives (DM9) makes almost as mutch noise as WD's and they run damn hot.

I just got 2x 160gb 2k250 SATA drives.

Both are manufactured January 2004 and they got that meow sound. Doesn't really bother me though  B)

Hmm..., can you tell us what firmware it has on it? I was really hoping that if it was manuf. in Jan 04 and had the newest firmware, then it wouldn't make that noise. Anyone else?

My 120GB PATA with no such sound yet is v 330-purchased three months ago

So far from what I can tell, if you have a v330 firmware, it doesn't seem to make the noise, but v320 DOES. Can anyone confirm any of this? Thanks.

HDS722512VLAT80, s/n VNR33EC3C9DR1K, rev V33OA60A, manufactured in December 2003 makes the sound.

Christer

OK, well then I give up. Maybe it is just totally random, and some people get lucky (or have a great case and don't pay attention to it as much) and don't have the sound.

By the way, how do you guys check your firmware revision (what program)? Thanks.

Ok.. here is the info on my drives that indeed do have the sound:

Disk1 160gb SATA:

Model ID HDS722516VLSA80

Serial Number VNRD3EC4C7XDLM

Revision V34OA60A

Manufactured: January 2004

Disk2 160gb SATA:

Model ID HDS722516VLSA80

Serial Number VNRD3EC4C7T4EM

Revision V34OA60A

Ok.. here is the info on my drives that indeed do have the sound:

Disk1 160gb SATA:

Model ID HDS722516VLSA80

Serial Number VNRD3EC4C7XDLM

Revision V34OA60A

Disk2 160gb SATA:

Model ID HDS722516VLSA80

Serial Number VNRD3EC4C7T4EM

Revision V34OA60A

Well OK, I guess that is it, I guess it is now just a personal matter. Since Zeddern has two 7k250s that were manuf. JAN 2004, with an even later firmware (v340, instead of v330 or v320), and they both STILL make the noise, I guess there is no truth to the hope of the meowing/whining noise be removed by the newer manuf. hard drives.

Just a thought...

Early models of the Barracuda ATA IV made the same sound, and there was a utility called smscan.exe that would disable it.

Does this utility work on the 7k250? Anyone brave enough to try it?

Just a thought...

Early models of the Barracuda ATA IV made the same sound, and there was a utility called smscan.exe that would disable it.

Does this utility work on the 7k250?  Anyone brave enough to try it?

The only thing is, Hitachi has said repeatedly, that it is a normal noise, and that it CAN NOT be disabled. That leads me to believe, no matter what utilities may be out there, there is no way to get rid of that noise. :(

Honestly i dont understand what u guys mean by meowing noise

Ive got one 80gb Hitachi and my mate has 4 (2x160 and 2X80 SATA hitachi) and ive listened intently in a quiet room for some time and i dont hear a thing bar normal computer noises(fans and the like)

either its so minor u guys are just kicking up a fuss. or my drives and my mates just dont make them. or the cases weve both got insulate the sound very well??!!!

JEREMY

The only thing is, Hitachi has said repeatedly, that it is a normal noise, and that it CAN NOT be disabled.  That leads me to believe, no matter what utilities may be out there, there is no way to get rid of that noise. :(

If I understand correctly, the noise is caused by "moving the heads to a random location when the drive is idle so one spot of the platter won't get too hot".

If so, I don't understand why it can't be a normal seek. Why does it have to be a slow seek that makes a horrible noise?

If storage review and silent pc review make enough noise(sorry) about this, Hitachi might just take notice and release a firmware update that uses a normal seek.

Ive got one 80gb Hitachi and my mate has 4 (2x160 and 2X80 SATA hitachi) and ive listened intently in a quiet room for some time and i dont hear a thing bar normal computer noises(fans and the like)

either its so minor u guys are just kicking up a fuss. or my drives and my mates just dont make them. or the cases weve both got insulate the sound very well??!!!

JEREMY

The case apparently makes a BIG difference, so that might definately be a reason. Another reason might be that you may have been a lucky one. Some other people here have reported having drives that do NOT make any sound either.

Just for curiosity sake, could you tell me when yours and your mates drives were manufactured and what firmware revision they are. Thanks.

StevoB

JEREMY

We mean THIS noise.

Every 10 minutes, my normally quiet 7K250 (250 GB, Singapore, November 2003) makes an "AIEEEE-aieeee-aah" that is the loudest sound produced by this computer, and can clearly be heard in the next room.

Every 10 minutes, on the dot. I can get a stopwatch and know when it's going to do it.

Granted, this computer is turned off at night, and the noise doesn't bother me too much, but I don't understand why the fastest IDE drive must come at a price of a weird noise no other drive makes. If it's really necessary for reliability, Hitachi should figure out a way to do it that's not so audible.

That's all.

[cut]

JEREMY

It's certainly not minor.

Mine can easily be heard over the noise of 5 fans (Panaflo L1A), and the noise of an old Atlas 10kIII. My PC is in no way quiet. It does use a Chieftec case which may amplify hard-drive noise, though.

It would appear that more recent 7K250 drives don't seem to exhibit the noise.

Any chance of having a look to see when yours and your mate's drives were made?