Davin

Hitachi Deskstar 7K250

Got my 80Gb SATA 7K250 on Wednesday. Formatted and reinstalled Windows 2000.

Got my first "creaking hinge" noise during the 2000 install, and every now and again during use. I find it quite humerous. :)

One thing I did notice is HDD Health reports the Raw Read Error rate went from 100 to 99 in 2 days. It's reporting TEC of 06/03/04. It'll be interesting to see how accurate it is.

I still have a backup of my data on my old 15Gb MAxtor DiamondMax Plus 40, powered off in the HDD bay. Just in case. :)

I have read this entire thread and I have to say, it's hard to believe moving the head should cause that much noise. It is considerably louder than a random head seek. My "cat meow" is pretty darn LOUD. All drive manufacturers have this feature and none of the other ones even come close to the decibal level of this sound. Yes, the drive rocks, but I think it was important for IBM/Hitachi to come back strong after the DeathStar drive issues. A LOUD strange drive noise that comes out of no other drive doesn't give me a lot of confidence. I'll be backing up my drives daily. I am really hoping that with enough complaints to Hitachi, perhaps they can improve this issue with a firmware upgrade.

It's a "breaf but deliberate head arm movement", with the words of HGST Support. Don't forget that it can be different than a seek.

And the first generation of Seagate Barracuda IV series did the same thing with the exact same sound.

I have read this entire thread and I have to say, it's hard to believe moving the head should cause that much noise. It is considerably louder than a random head seek. My "cat meow" is pretty darn LOUD. All drive manufacturers have this feature and none of the other ones even come close to the decibal level of this sound. Yes, the drive rocks, but I think it was important for IBM/Hitachi to come back strong after the DeathStar drive issues. A LOUD strange drive noise that comes out of no other drive doesn't give me a lot of confidence. I'll be backing up my drives daily. I am really hoping that with enough complaints to Hitachi, perhaps they can improve this issue with a firmware upgrade.

I don't care if this thing has to scream Banshees for it to work...As long as it doesn't fail like the 75gxp did, it can whine like a little be-hotch for all i care... :P

My HK250 160gb SATA 8mb is quiet, very very quiet when idleing and seeking. The meow happens rarely and does not bother me at all. My raptor 740gd is louder when seeking by a fair margin. I can barely hear my HK250 seek but the raptor is quiet audible.

IMHO if you want quiet get the HK250 as the raptor is to loud for alot of people.

i just installed the drive today. it was a good deal for the retail box at fry's 189.99 + 90 mail in rebate. so i got the drive for "99" dollars for the 200gig pata. i have a kingwin case and the noise isnt that noticable, though i do hear it. i mean it has a 3 yr warranty, and i got a good deal at a local store for which i can return or exchange with no problem. whats stopping you? its a great drive. dont like it? then go return it for a slower maxtor western digital or seagate.

I'm still considering buying a 7K250 drive, and i probably will. But that's not the reason for posting this. Apparently, this meow-like sounds are very annoying to a lot of people so the issue even got an article on the Inquirer - link. Some guy even recorded this meow, which i now think is a creeking of rusty hinges - mp3 creek. :huh:

hi there

i bought the hitachi drive, with 160gigs and 8mb cache last week in vienna, i read on some page that europe drives are different.

The Installation of the drive was no problem.. i set it as slave on primary IDE- Channel, master is a old Seagate drive 20GB.

Bios accepted the Hdd.

there was a little problem with my win2k servicepack 4... i had 128 gbs instead of 160

i searched the web for a solution and found one, a simple reg key...

before the hitachi drive i had an older.. even older then the seagate drive... a maxtor 10 gb. after hdd change i though my computer is powered off.. i didnt here my computer at all.

also there was no meowing sound, until something like 4 days.. my drive also start meowing.. but that sound isn't something bad for my hdd is it ?

a friend of mine told me i should try this for him... but i read alot of articles of the gxp series, also my friend had one, which died in 6 months or something like that...

yesterday he told me that 2 drives.. exactly the drives that i have died... @ reliability Survey...

No i am afraid that, my hdd could crash early..., but i knew that the gxps series were not good... i have a bad feeling about this, but everything works fine, except the meowing sound. :angry: .., i think the speed of the hdd is very good, but my system is booting up very slowly, maybe my seagate disk is my system brake.. but i dont really know.. very well, the hitachi drive is very silent... even with case open

btw. can you guys tell me if slow drives makes the system slower, even with a second fast hdd.. hitachi =slave, but the os is on the slower drive

cYa

TimmyX

Meowing isn't a sign of imminent failure in the 7K250.

Generally, the presence of a slow drive should not slow a system down unless that slow drive is being accessed - if it's just being used for data storage, no pagefile, OS or program files, then it won't affect speed except when reading or writing files on that drive.

Of course, the way you're set up, you're still running your OS off the slow drive, so you won't gain much (if any) noticeable speed improvement by using a fast drive just for data, and if you're trying to access both drives on the channel at the same time, that could slow things down more.

My advice would be to connect the 7K250 as primary master, partition it into 20GB for OS, programs, pagefile (fixed size) & games, the other 140 GB for data. Reinstall your OS onto the 7K250 (or clone the partition from your 20GB drive if you don't have time or can't be bothered to reinstall), and just use the 20GB as data storage & backups of essential data (docs, emails etc. - have these on CD as well).

If you still think you have a problem, or want further configuration advice, I'd suggest posting to the computing forum.

Hi all -

Long time reader, first time poster (I know you don't care, I just wanted to say it).

My 7K250 250GB SATA also has cat meow sound (although mine is more like squeaky hinge, as someone else mentioned).

My point is not to be part of the gang. Rather, it is to point out again to the SR crew, that SR should include a reference to this noise in the review, specifically under Heat & Noise. It sounds (no pun int.) like your testbed drive(s) didn't have this issue, but clearly there is a concensus here that this noise happens and is of concern. Many have clearly stated that despite its killer performance, if they had been aware the drive had this feature (to use HGST speak), they wouldn't have bought it. At the very least, your review should mention that its a hot topic in your forum section.

Hitachi should get on the stick with providing some way to deal with this, firmware or whatever. I've got a Caviar 160 PATA which rocks, as well, and doesn't have this annoyance associated with it. Hey HGST, which drive do you think I'll buy next?

I say all this as someone who is very happy with the drive - performance does trump noise - but I don't sleep next to it, either (and its not that much faster).

Cheers,

Jake

:huh:

The sound should be mentioned in the review that's correct.

I understand that it is to improve the reliability of the drive - I just don't understand why does it sounds so funny.

Every HDD can produce inaudible head arm movements with AAM enabled, why don't they use it for such offline activities?

I just got a 7K250 (only a 40GB) which replaces a 60GXP which I RMA'ed back to Hitachi (although it was an IBM drive, it was still covered under warranty by Hitachi which was nice) due to the large number of bad sectors which developed on the older drive over the course of the last year. I'm getting the the "meow" sounds like everyone else. Not unbearable, but I made the mistake of installing the drive in my 24/7 Linux server/firewall/router... I've also had two IBM notebook hard drives fail. As far as I'm concerned, I'm gonna stay away from anything with the IBM/Hitachi name on it for a while. I've had much better luck with Seagate, Maxtor/Quantum and Western Digital drives. Heck I even have an ancient WD 850MB drive from about 8-9 years ago that hasn't missed a beat yet.

BTW, what's the official word from Hitachi regarding the "meow"? I'll likely swap the drive over to the kids PC, but I'd still like some assurance that the drive won't crap out within a year...

Hello all!

I bought my Box Of Assembled Components in June 2001 which makes it 2 3/4 years old. The 40GB IBM Deskstar 60GXP has soldiered on flawlessly.

I decided to buy a new HDD in order to relieve myself of the trouble of burning Ghost Images and other BackUps to CDs and my choice, out of pure confidence in the brand, was a 120GB/8MB Hitachi Deskstar 7K250, the smallest size which comes with a three years warranty period.

When I had transfered the system to the new HDD, I carried out a Drive Fitness Test on the 60GXP. It displayed 1 (one) reallocated sector and no problems were indicated. Next, I did an "Erase Disk" and finally upgraded the firmware.

The 60GXP is now in a front mounted rack, soldiering on as a trusted BackUp HDD.

To be honest, with my experience I don´t understand what all the fuss is about and I always wanted a cat meowing at my feet!

:D ...... Christer ...... :lol:

i read on some page that europe drives are different.

TimmyX,

Hitachi closed the Hungarian plant inherited from IBM, where many of the problematic Deskstar 75GXP were made. Most of the Deskstars I saw in 2000-2001 were indeed made in Hungary (I'm in Europe).

All 7K250 sold worldwide are now made in Asia, to my knowledge.

To be honest, with my experience I don´t understand what all the fuss is about and I always wanted a cat meowing at my feet!

Hello Christer,

I like cats too but this sound is nothing like a real cat, in my opinion :unsure:

I also note that you have a Deskstar 60GXP, which does not make the specific sound the 7K250 does.

In a recent SR reader poll, 80% of respondents felt that Sandra was a poor benchmark for hard disks, and most of those backed up that assertion with comments. If you want consistency, don't use Sandra.

Sandra scores will constantly flucuate unless your testing a empty drive as it uses a very large test file and uses every bit of available space from the rim on in. So if the drive is becoming fragmented durring the day the scores are going to change even minute to minute especially if for example its a OS drive or one with temp or internet temp files and any tiny bit of fragmentation really whacks Sandra. Sandra like most benchmarks has flaws but in some ways its really giving a better representaion of the drive performance as it changes due the fragmentaion that we all really see in our drives in real life. In other words sometimes low sandra scores are sorta telliung you that you have probs with fragmentattion.

Remember at times to try and be fair in our testing we remove a lot of the elements that effect us in real life to try and pin down absolute performance and .... benchmarks and real life don't always relate cleanly unfortunatley for all of us.

Hello smc!

I like cats too but this sound is nothing like a real cat, in my opinion

My remark was an attempt at a joke. My parents live in the country and have a lot of cats so, when visiting them, I get my share of meowing!

My post was rather tongue in cheek. Reading about the reliability issues with the 75GXP and the 60GXP, which were translated into later series' as well made me worry about my 60GXP.

I was listening for strange noises and eventually discovered a high pitch whining noise. I couldn´t locate from where it emanated and finally came to the conclusion that I was hearing my own tinnitus ...... :D ...... and IBM can´t be blamed for that!

I browsed the web for information, which is how I discovered this place and found out that most manufacturers have or had series' that were troublesome but the 75GXP took the lead.

When I made my decision on the 7K250, I weighed its performance level against the probability of a bad HDD. I took the chance of the problems experienced with HDDs 3-4 generations old would be fixed a long time ago and that in combination with my personal experience of the 60GXP, tipped the scales.

A few weeks ago, I assembled and installed a new computer for a friend. His choice was Seagate Barracuda 7200.7, one 160GB SATA and one 160GB Plus PATA. The latter in a front mounted rack to be easily exchanged for other PATA's he has.

When transfering data from the one to the other, the noise is not as "solid" as the noise from the 7K250. I don´t think that it has any relevancy on the subject of reliability but when we hear something we tend to discuss it and draw all possible conclusions.

My subjective conclusion was that I made a wise choise on the 7K250 ...... ;) ...... !

Christer

My 7K250 was giving problems all last week with spinning down etc. After some serious troubleshooting, it would appear the power connection wasn't good - moving the PC two weekends ago to a LANParty must have loosened the connection.

Went over to using the SATA power connector, and problems are gone.

Man there has been a lot of posts about this "cat meow" or whatever sound. I am looking to purchase another hard drive, and I really like what I have read about the performance of the Hitachi 7K250 drives. To all you people out there who have this drive, I just wanted to get a idea of how exactly loud is the meowing sound. Just to put it in perspective, I have 4 case fans running. Will this meowing noise be louder than that? I too leave my computer on 24/7 and sleep near it. I know there was an MP3 of the sound earlier, and I definately thought it was a little annoying. However, if this was right up next to the drive, with no case fans, etc., then it is not so bad. I just want to get an idea of how this noise will be for MY computer, with 4 case fans, etc. Thanks.

i read on some page that europe drives are different.

TimmyX,

Hitachi closed the Hungarian plant inherited from IBM, where many of the problematic Deskstar 75GXP were made. Most of the Deskstars I saw in 2000-2001 were indeed made in Hungary (I'm in Europe).

All 7K250 sold worldwide are now made in Asia, to my knowledge.

Lots of SCSI units have been manufactured here in Hungary as well, so the problem was with the DTLA and not the factory.

I recently bought a 160gig 7K250 SATA for a new system. Was concerned about the noise but it doesn't make any meows or much of anything else. Whew!

I have it installed in a Zalman ZM-2HC1 drive inclosure in an Antec Sonata case.

But the case is still open and its been running off and on for a couple of days now with no apparent problems or noise - I wonder why?

Getting it installed as the single (boot) drive in my Asus k8v was an adventure but all's well now.

Lots of SCSI units have been manufactured here in Hungary as well, so the problem was with the DTLA and not the factory.

Csybe, sorry if I came across as implying the Hungarian factory was an issue.

I was just reporting on the reported 'difference' of European-market IBM's.

We have sold many dozens of Desktar 40GV's made in Hungary, of which all but two are still in service.

Csybe, sorry if I came across as implying the Hungarian factory was an issue.

I was just reporting on the reported 'difference' of European-market IBM's.

We have sold many dozens of Desktar 40GV's made in Hungary, of which all but two are still in service.

No prob :)

It's just a known rumor that the Hungary factory was worser than the others... and this is completely untrue, I've talked many people who worked there.

Just to say that i have bought a 120Go 7k250 8Mo UltraATA (HDS722512VLAT80) build in Jan 2004 (firmware V330A60A) and it doesn't make any sound. I don't screw it to my shuttle but just hold it between two little sheets of foam (1mm high), the drive can't move at all.