Davin

Hitachi Deskstar 7K250

I was thinking of buying a silent drive enclosure to reduce the noise? Anyone got any opinions on this?? I did a test on the drive and it was well within the tolerences to use the silent drive enclosure.... (i think :P )

Can't stand the cat meowing? Get a dog, for chrissakes! :P

I've got a pair of 2K750 160GB Sata and I just can't hear them. They are deadsilent when reading, writing or idle. The case I' using is the very quiet Antec Sonata. However, I bought the drives a week ago (in Sweden) so maybe an early noise-problem has been fixed by Hitachi?

My 180gxp made the noise... but when I put it into my antec 3700AMB (same/similar cage to the sonata) the noise went away.

It was previously located in an Enlight case.

This little feature in the Antec Sonata might help in keeping the noise down:

"4 x 3.5" internal drive bays in individual trays with rubber grommets to absorb hard drive vibrations "

You should be as picky choosing the case as you are with the HD and mobo.

My 180gxp made the noise... but when I put it into my antec 3700AMB (same/similar cage to the sonata) the noise went away.

It was previously located in an Enlight case.

You are confused, LOL :lol:

This little feature in the Antec Sonata might help in keeping the noise down:
"4 x 3.5" internal drive bays in individual trays with rubber grommets to absorb hard drive vibrations "

You should be as picky choosing the case as you are with the HD and mobo.

That explains why the meow sound varies in volume. Some people have cheezy cases that vibrates and amplify the volume more than others. Actually my chieftec amplifies the sound pretty heavily aswell.

Im thinking about a drive enclosure for mine (7k250 160GB 8MB PATA), preferrably something that has tiny holes so you could vent it with a silent fan of some sort.

Idle noices is pretty low, but seek noices are extremely loud, ive been using a Barracuda V `til i changed it for the 7k250 and the difference is definately huge.

Although, i had my Barracuda V hanging in rubber strips, but it was getting kind of hot so i decided to mount the 7k250 to the drivecage. But still im sure its way louder.

Yes... Chieftec based case here too.

But another fact is that the lenght and (in my experience) volume is depending on the drive usage. Where the 7K250 is used as a boot drive, swap file, etc, it is much better. When in addition I'm downloading something, it's almost unhearable, no yoke :) Btw, it's true to the Seagate Barracuda 7200.7 constant seek sounds, too. :rolleyes:

I'm wondering if my WD740GD will make any idle sounds like these :D

well... i have read all you said here, and after a month of thinking abotu all the reviews i decided to buy a 160GB PATA drive... since i have lots of coolers in my system and i probably CAN'T  hear the noise i would probably not bother me...

but what bothers me is that when i got the drive STRAIGHT FROM THE SHOP (and they said in the shop that the drive just arrived from the factory) i was DEAD...

the sound was like the drive was abbout to spin up, but can't... a metallic sound like something is banging on the casing on the inside.. or whatever...

Well i got that replaced immediatley since the guy at the shop said they had problems like this with other drives of this class !!  so i got a new one.... SURPRISE! doesn't work either...

i'm on the third one now... it works... it's fast as hell & i can't hear nothing of that sound... but one thing is for sure... this is the LAST drive i'm gonna buy from hitachi or IBM or any company that's it's sold to...

well,

c'ya

I bought 2 on Newegg.com for RAID0 use. Serial ATA though. They worked great straight from the Fedex guy. These were OEM also, so I don't know if you got OEM or Retail, but I'd think OEM would have a better chance of being DOA since they may have been packaged haphazardly.

I'd worry more about the location your bought your drives than the company. You can't blame Hitachi for poorly handled drives...

Because i have 2 drives in RAID i hear the noise more frequently since i'm guessing they don't do it at the same time, within minutes of each other even. I also have a gig of ram with the page file off, so my PC idles alot.

I guess the awesome performance of the drives has stopped me from returning them.

You have to admit the speed and quietness of the drives is sweet az. Apart from that frickin noise of course.

I think I see a pattern here. I'm also running the drives, 2 160 GB, in RAID0 with a GIG of RAM. Thanks to the loads of memory, these things are almost always at idle so the noise happens pretty often. In general, I've stopped noticing the noise unless I'm doing something quiet like browsing the web. It is pretty scary, though, when both drives "meow" within seconds of eachother and sometimes follow with a "click." Last time I heard that click it was my 75GXP failing.

The sounds are far worth the satisfaction of blistering BF1942: Desert Combat map loads that put me in the map before everyone else, though, so I'm not complaining anymore... :P

The only thing that REALLY ticks me off is that the IBM/HITACHI Hard Drive Diagnostic program still doesn't work with SATA controllers that aren't native. At least they didn't last time I checked. I just want to run a little testing on them to make sure they aren't reporting error codes so I can relax.

That click is normal... It was first introduced in the 120GXP, once a day in most cases, it's a head load/unload cycle due to some thermal recalibration process. :ph34r:

I can see from these pages that the cat meow sound (I would liken it more to a squeaky hinge) every 10 minutes is normal

I am glad you mention yours sounds like a squeaky hinge too! I was getting worried everyone else's sounded like a cat's meow, whereas mine sounded like a cat with a truly sore throat ;)

Hello all (my first post here)!

I have a few questions about these Hitachi drives:

1. Should I go SATA or PATA? I have an ABIT NF7-S mobo with built-in SATA RAID, but it's not native (SATA runs through PCI). I also understand only Seagate 7200.7 drives have native SATA in their HDDs, unlike others with SATA to PATA chips, the performance of which is actually 10-20% worse than from the same PATA drives. I also read that SATA-1 is more like a transitional thing but it really doesn't matter if there'll be backwards compatibility. The Cables are supposed to be very sensitive and perceptive to outer interferebces at the unprotected connectors. Is this true?

2. Is this one of the quietest drives? The review says so, I'm just worried about this 'cat meow'. I have 1 gigabyte of RAM so the disk wouldn't get used much in regard to the page file but it would be the system disk. I have my PC on 24/7 and sleep near the computer so I'm worried about that.

At the moment I have 2 40GB IBMs, one 60GXP (Deathstar!) and one 120GXP. One of them is letting out some weird sounds (three high pitched and a metal click, like the heads inside collided with the casing) which make me scared. And they're also very very loud! The sound must be amplified by the cheap casing i have, so I'll buy some rubber grommets to absorb vibration until I get a decent (Antec) case. B)

In the end, I just want a quiet and reliable drive and don't mind if it performs well, too! :rolleyes: The Barracuda V seems to have the first two attributes i require but lacks in performance. So please, tell me what to buy?

Forgot to mention I have these drives availeble for purchase:

HITACHI GST HDS722512VLST80 HDD Desktop 120GB HITACHI GST Deskstar 7K250 7200rpm 8MB cache Serial ATA/150

HITACHI GST HDS722516VLSA80 HDD Desktop 160GB HITACHI GST Deskstar 7K250 7200rpm 8MB cache Serial ATA/150 32,800.00

SEAGATE ST3120026AS HDD Desktop 120GB SEAGATE Barracuda 7200.7 Plus 7200rpm 8MB cache Serial ATA/150

SEAGATE ST3120026A HDD Desktop 120GB SEAGATE Barracuda 7200.7 Plus 7200rpm 8MB cache ATA/100

SEAGATE ST3160023A HDD Desktop 160GB SEAGATE Barracuda 7200.7 Plus 7200rpm 8MB cache ATA/100

:blink:

2. Is this one of the quietest drives? The review says so, I'm just worried about this 'cat meow'. I have 1 gigabyte of RAM so the disk wouldn't get used much in regard to the page file but it would be the system disk. I have my PC on 24/7 and sleep near the computer so I'm worried about that.

One of the quiestest drives? Absolutely not. The "cat meow" noise makes this Hitachi the most irritating drive I've ever run across. It is like Chinese water torture. I have two SATA 120s running in Raid 0, and both make the noise every 10 minutes. When playing a game or listening to music, it is tolerable. But when trying to concentrate in a quiet room, forget about it. While the performance of the drives is indeed impressive, if I had it to do over again I would definitely buy a different model.

I also think Storage Review should revise the noise section of their review of this product to at least mention this problem.

I'm wondering if my WD740GD will make any idle sounds like these :D

They don't. I have 2 WD740GD running, they are silent like a grave yard.

Cool B)

The only thing that REALLY ticks me off is that the IBM/HITACHI Hard Drive Diagnostic program still doesn't work with SATA controllers that aren't native. At least they didn't last time I checked. I just want to run a little testing on them to make sure they aren't reporting error codes so I can relax.

Now it does...

hgst.com

Hmm, have 3 new 80 gig HD's SATA (HD 80GB|HITC SATA 8MB) and never a peep out of any of them.

Either i am lucky..or only happens on the larger drives.

So far, just quiet and fast. Will have to wait on the dependability:)

Not sure if that's it Bart; mine is the 80 GB PATA version and it makes the noise - and how! At least it stops me from nodding-off in front of the computer!

Adamay.

Now it does...

hgst.com

Oh it says it will. But I've tried and it still doesn't. It comes with an optional menu for SCSI drviers to be loaded before the program, none of which work with the Silicon Image SATA + RAID chip on my ASUS A7N8X-E Deluxe. I don't know why they say increased support if all they did was throw on a bumch of useless SCSI drivers.....

Horror story :o

Well, kinda disappointed for now. Just today I received my 120GB PATA 8MB and guess what?

Yap, DOA.

And just to make things worse, distributer sold 'em all out already, so for now thay have no stock to replace it. Damn, you don't want to know how many "I told you so-s" I heard today. And I told everyone how this is the best HDD on the market currently.

Disappointed? Yes!

But I have not given up yet. Still have some high expectations for it. But it'll take a week or so to get replacement. Damn!

Well, that's life. I'll keep you updated (hopefully with some better news).

Regards,

yovo