Davin

Hitachi Deskstar 7K250

Article Feedback

Just wondering why this noise was NOT mentioned in this review? I would not have bought this drive if this article had pointed this out... I based my decision on what StorageReview had written about this drive...

This noise is annoying!!!!

Article Feedback

Just wondering why this noise was NOT mentioned in this review?  I would not have bought this drive if this article had pointed this out...  I based my decision on what StorageReview had written about this drive...

Good question. I don't think they didn't hear it :ph34r:

Anyways, after a month the noise isn't bothering me anymore. If one of my friends come over and the drive makes the noise they just laugh. :D

Article Feedback

Just wondering why this noise was NOT mentioned in this review?  I would not have bought this drive if this article had pointed this out...  I based my decision on what StorageReview had written about this drive...

Anyways, after a month the noise isn't bothering me anymore. If one of my friends come over and the drive makes the noise they just laugh. :D

i think that it is possible that they maybe didn´t hear it. my 7k250 didn´t make the noise when it was brand new. it starts after maybe one month...

Article Feedback

i think that it is possible that they maybe didn´t hear it. my 7k250 didn´t make the noise when it was brand new. it starts after maybe one month...

That's not true. Mine did it from the first power cycle.

IBM still holds 30% interest in Hitachi's hard drive division and so, are not getting another dime of my money!

Congratulations. Are you feeling better now? :P

Figured I'd throw my $.02 in.

Just got an 80GB SATA 7K250 - faster and MUCH quieter than the WD800JB I was using, but the idle "cat squeal" is really irritating. Even though HGST says it's normal, I'm hoping a new firmware is released to eliminate it. I almost jumped out of my chair the first time I heard it (very quiet room at night).

TM

My 160 SATA not only made the squeal from the start, but did so under light loading, so I'm skeptical about the whole "idle time" argument. After spending lots of time bludgeoning the facts into HGST's "support", they issued an RMA (hurrah). They received my faulty drive over a MONTH ago and have not yet shipped a replacement.

If and when I get it, the replacement drive goes straight on ebay without even coming out of the box. Don't care how good their products are, it'll be a long time before HGST see any more of my hard-earned.

just been reading another review of the drive (interesting the Europe drives are often in quiet mode)

http://ohls-place.com/nuke/modules.php?nam...rticle&sid=3734

As for the rest of the review I would ignore it and just read the conclusion which would be obvious if you take the other drive as the one he is normally usein :D

Tis a fun little review with some good info for the reader..

My 160 SATA not only made the squeal from the start, but did so under light loading, so I'm skeptical about the whole "idle time" argument. After spending lots of time bludgeoning the facts into HGST's "support", they issued an RMA (hurrah). They received my faulty drive over a MONTH ago and have not yet shipped a replacement.

If and when I get it, the replacement drive goes straight on ebay without even coming out of the box. Don't care how good their products are, it'll be a long time before HGST see any more of my hard-earned.

thank you for your email.

Regarding your enquiry relating to the brief sound that emanates from our

drives.

I suspect that the occasional 'sound' you are hearing is the Idle Time

Function that has been introduced on our latest drive designs as a

reliability enhancement. You need not be alarmed by this,

This "sound" is due to a brief but deliberate head arm movement every so

often. This has been added to maximise the reliability of our disk drive

products.

This function is invoked if an extended period of inactivity is detected,

so has no impact on active performance. [it is bad to leave the heads

hovering over the same data track unnecessarily].

Even after a period of time of activity the Idle Time Function can be

implemented as the Idle Time Function is a cumulative function.

The level of sound emitted may vary from one drive to another and as such

this should not give rise to concern or be considered an impending failure.

Please be assured that this drive design is one of the quietest drives, at

this data density, in the industry.

I trust this information will be of use and help you to resolve your

problem.

Regards

Catrin Schoening

Hitachi Global Storage Technologies

I dunno what the problem is. Back in the day, most drives recalibrated at some point. I have an old 1.7Gb Fujitsu drive (M1623TAU) that recalibrates every 20 minutes. I've also had a few SCSI drives which do likewise, including the Atlas 10kII and Cheetah X15.

The Martians in the Classic X15 are something special. That's idle time noise. ;)

well... i have read all you said here, and after a month of thinking abotu all the reviews i decided to buy a 160GB PATA drive... since i have lots of coolers in my system and i probably CAN'T hear the noise i would probably not bother me...

but what bothers me is that when i got the drive STRAIGHT FROM THE SHOP (and they said in the shop that the drive just arrived from the factory) i was DEAD...

the sound was like the drive was abbout to spin up, but can't... a metallic sound like something is banging on the casing on the inside.. or whatever...

Well i got that replaced immediatley since the guy at the shop said they had problems like this with other drives of this class !! so i got a new one.... SURPRISE! doesn't work either...

i'm on the third one now... it works... it's fast as hell & i can't hear nothing of that sound... but one thing is for sure... this is the LAST drive i'm gonna buy from hitachi or IBM or any company that's it's sold to...

well,

c'ya

well... i have read all you said here, and after a month of thinking abotu all the reviews i decided to buy a 160GB PATA drive... since i have lots of coolers in my system and i probably CAN'T  hear the noise i would probably not bother me...

but what bothers me is that when i got the drive STRAIGHT FROM THE SHOP (and they said in the shop that the drive just arrived from the factory) i was DEAD...

the sound was like the drive was abbout to spin up, but can't... a metallic sound like something is banging on the casing on the inside.. or whatever...

Well i got that replaced immediatley since the guy at the shop said they had problems like this with other drives of this class !!  so i got a new one.... SURPRISE! doesn't work either...

i'm on the third one now... it works... it's fast as hell & i can't hear nothing of that sound... but one thing is for sure... this is the LAST drive i'm gonna buy from hitachi or IBM or any company that's it's sold to...

well,

c'ya

Maybe they have to take care of the shipment... The vendor who I bought my 80Gb SATA from haven't heard about a single failure yet.

well... i have read all you said here, and after a month of thinking abotu all the reviews i decided to buy a 160GB PATA drive... since i have lots of coolers in my system and i probably CAN'T  hear the noise i would probably not bother me...

Well i got that replaced immediatley since the guy at the shop said they had problems like this with other drives of this class !!  so i got a new one.... SURPRISE! doesn't work either...

well,

c'ya

The problem is almost certainly the shop or its distributor.

IBM doesn't ship out mass quantities of dead drives.

If it makes you feel any better I got 3 dead WD JB drives in a row from a bad shop who didnt know how to handle their drives.

Have been using a 120GB Pata for a week and have no problems with the noise or performance. The drive is faster than the 180GXP as the SR article showed and very quiet. If you want to hear calibration noise , listen to the Atlas 10kIV on boot--that's calibration.

Hi there.

I have owned an 80GB PATA version of this drive for a couple of weeks and have found the perfomance to be more than satisfactory. I can see from these pages that the cat meow sound (I would liken it more to a squeaky hinge) every 10 minutes is normal and I suppose I have become accustomed to it, although it seems quite loud to me as it is housed in a fanless iMac.

However, my worry, that I have not seen referred to here is a variability in the length of the sound. On occasions it lasts only a fraction of a second, but more commonly, the creaking lasts between 2 and 3 seconds. Can some kind soul on this forum please let me know whether this beaviour is consistent with the norm for this otherwise excellent drive.

Regards and TIA,

Adamay.

Adamay, what I found out is that the lenght of the sound depends on whether the drive idle or not. If I'm downloading data it's almost fully silent, but if the drive is idle, the sound is about 2-3 seconds long.

What disturbs me is a once-a-day major recalibracion that consists of a long meow sound followed by a head load/unload (loud click). My drive makes is every day at 2:45 AM, this night it woke me up :blink:

However, I am very satisfied with the performance of the drive.

Thanks for that Csybe; I now know that this is just the way this drive has been put together, and given that it does it's job well, I suppose that I'll keep it. However, in a perfect world, it wouldn't creak every 10 minutes and there wouldn't be an alarming click each time the computer wakes from sleep and at occasional other times too.

Regards.

I also suffer from this wierd sound. I really don't like it. It's eerily disturbing, somehow... I'm also bothered by the noisy seeks the drive makes. It all tests okay, and HGST said that it was normal, but I can't believe that the seeks can be as loud as they are. Much louder than the IBM that it replaced and louder than the 5 year old Maxtor that sits next to it. Can't hear it when it's idle though. Thought's anyone?

I have 2 160GB 7K250's in my Comp and a 120Gb 180GXP in my XBox. They all make this irratating noise. It really sh*t's me since my PC is a quiet one but i reckon it would still be audiable even over loud fans. Because i have 2 drives in RAID i hear the noise more frequently since i'm guessing they don't do it at the same time, within minutes of each other even. I also have a gig of ram with the page file off, so my PC idles alot.

I used to think it was a fan in the comp as it sounds like the noise the fan on my old TNT Vanta developed over time. It used to go away by touching the fan lightly and it would spin normaly without friction again.

Jesus, it's done it again while writing this. At least now i know it's normal so i'm not bad buzzing about it as much as before. I guess the awesome performance of the drives has stopped me from returning them.

You have to admit the speed and quietness of the drives is sweet az. Apart from that frickin noise of course.

We need a firmware update with the ability to turn this calibration crap off. I'm willing to take my chances without it.

I also suffer from this wierd sound.  I really don't like it.  It's eerily disturbing, somehow...  I'm also bothered by the noisy seeks the drive makes.  It all tests okay, and HGST said that it was normal, but I can't believe that the seeks can be as loud as they are.  Much louder than the IBM that it replaced and louder than the 5 year old Maxtor that sits next to it.  Can't hear it when it's idle though.  Thought's anyone?

Yes, you are right...

I am wondering if the next generation HGST drive will make it audibly as well :)

Here's an idea to disable the "sawmill" or "cat-meow" sound:

Check your jumpers at the back of the drive.

I have something called "Auto Spin Disable" there. Could it be the way to disable it? Also if some factories have the acoustic management set to quiet and some factories dont, it could be that some factories has jumpers at different positions. That would explain why some drives have the noise and some doesn't. I Think.

I also have the sound in my drive, but I don't want to try that jumper-trick before asking here. =) Can't be sure if it's something which should not be tryed.

Auto Spin Disable means that the drive won't spin up until receiving signal from the controller (do you speak English? :P )

Every drive has the sound, some of them are quieter than the others.

Seagate Barracuda 7200.7 makes annoying constant seek sound when idle - that's for the same purpose too btw - I had a PATA 120Gb that made it quite loud and disturbing, with my SATA 160Gb it's almost inaudible.

The AAM trick doesn't work, too - tried that.