Davin

Hitachi Deskstar 7K250

I got 2 160 SATAs, no noise so far, just the vibration humming, as in wav file some other guy attached before. I killed that with resin strings tied around mounting screws. The drives been silent ever since, even under heavy load (SiSoft Sandra).

But I do have another issue. I setup Raid0, and continue benching it every once in a while. The drives are fast - but the performance seems to jump around. My Sandra score varies from 70k to 58k at different times but with the same system setup (was about 50k with single drive setup). The only difference is the amount of space occupied, and the scores are kinda inconsistent. When the Raid was almost empty, it was about 65k, later, with more data, it became 70k, with with even more data, it dropped to 58k. I wonder if it is normal for Sandra benchmark score to jump around like that, or is it because I have Raid0, otherwise the 7k250's performance is rather inconsistent. Any ideas?

I have a single 80Gb SATA 7K250, and my 20Gb NTFS partition scores between 21 and 31K...

My 160Gb SATA Barracuda 7200.7 did 36K every time... Firmware?!

(HD Tach and PCMark2002 is OK)

my 160GB 8MB cache PATA 7k250 do not make any noise like my old 180GXP 180GB...

no selftesting, no strange sounds every 10minutes... :blink:

so after month i must modify my words...

180gxp does every 20 minutes "sawmill sound" and two times per day "power sound"

7k250 does 2 times per day "sawmill sound" and one time per day "power sound"

180gxp 180gb and 7k250 160gb 8mb cache pata

The "power sound" is the load/unload of the heads for some reason. It happens to my drive once a day as well, unfortunately in the early morning :blink:

The sawmill or cat-meow like sound is a some sort of recalibration of the heads I don't understand at the moment... I'll contact HGST support about this issue. I am just interested.

Uhoh, bad omens for my 7k250s :o Seriously, did your 7k250 develop strange sounds after a month of use? Or did it act up pretty much from the beginning?

I spoke to Hitachi regarding the "cat meow" noise and they advise me its by design, some kind of calibration. I am RMA'ing this drive will try a different brand.

I spoke to Hitachi regarding the "cat meow" noise and they advise me its by design, some kind of calibration. I am RMA'ing this drive will try a different brand.

Did they explain it?

Do all the 7k250's have FDB motors?

Also, any estimate as to how a 2MB version performs against a WD600JB?

Thanks,

C

My 80GB/2MB 7K250 does the meowing noise too. I just got it directly from Hitachi so I doubt it is a defect causing it. It probably IS by design.

Nobody knows if the all have FDB?

Thanks,

C

Is there an audible recalibration sound every period of time like 120 & 180GXPs? It will be a decider for me...

Mine (80gb) makes a sound like a bee every 10 minutes.

Very disconcerting if you're using it in a quiet room.

I am RMAing it.

Is there an audible recalibration sound every period of time like 120 & 180GXPs? It will be a decider for me...

Mine (80gb) makes a sound like a bee every 10 minutes.

Very disconcerting if you're using it in a quiet room.

I am RMAing it.

You should know that your replacement drive will do the same... read the topic

Are you guys using the drivers 24/7? Because I don't hear the noise, and I have my computer on for the bulk of the day and never heard any strange sounds (I got 2 7k250s SATA version). I wonder if your particular drives might be screwed somehow and it's not a rule that ALL 7k205 are bound to produce these sounds. If they are, we would have heard much more about it, probably. Just my 2 cents. :ph34r:

Are you guys using the drivers 24/7? Because I don't hear the noise, and I have my computer on for the bulk of the day and never heard any strange sounds (I got 2 7k250s SATA version). I wonder if your particular drives might be screwed somehow and it's not a rule that ALL 7k205 are bound to produce these sounds. If they are, we would have heard much more about it, probably. Just my 2 cents. :ph34r:

Mine is always on. If you don't hear the noise then your PC is too loud maybe.

Tried my 7K250 with silent AAM mode, but it still does.

When idling for a long time (2-3 hours +), it even makes a load/unload.

:huh:

Wow, just got my mail from HGST:

Dear Mr. Csaba,

thank you for your email.

Regarding your enquiry relating to the brief sound that emanates from our

drives.

I suspect that the occasional 'sound' you are hearing is the Idle Time

Function that has been introduced on our latest drive designs as a

reliability enhancement. You need not be alarmed by this,

This "sound" is due to a brief but deliberate head arm movement every so

often. This has been added to maximise the reliability of our disk drive

products.

This function is invoked if an extended period of inactivity is detected,

so has no impact on active performance. [it is bad to leave the heads

hovering over the same data track unnecessarily].

Even after a period of time of activity the Idle Time Function can be

implemented as the Idle Time Function is a cumulative function.

The level of sound emitted may vary from one drive to another and as such

this should not give rise to concern or be considered an impending failure.

Please be assured that this drive design is one of the quietest drives, at

this data density, in the industry.

I trust this information will be of use and help you to resolve your

problem.

Regards

Catrin Schoening

Hitachi Global Storage Technologies

I dunno, I got two drives in raid and when even I am not using them I don't hear nothing. True, I got 3 fans and computer (under load) might be noisy but still I can hear seek noise of my old IBM DPTA drive but I don't hear nothing from 7k250s. Could this be a cause for concern?

I have a single 80Gb SATA 7K250, and my 20Gb NTFS partition scores between 21 and 31K...

My 160Gb SATA Barracuda 7200.7 did 36K every time... Firmware?!

(HD Tach and PCMark2002 is OK)

I purchased the 80GB SATA 7K250 for a new G5, and must also report that it performs at about 2/3rds the speed of the existing 160 SATA Barracuda. Seems like a firmware issue to me, but even if there were a firmware update, I somehow doubt it would be Mac-compatible.

I dunno, I got two drives in raid and when even I am not using them I don't hear nothing. True, I got 3 fans and computer (under load) might be noisy but still I can hear seek noise of my old IBM DPTA drive but I don't hear nothing from 7k250s. Could this be a cause for concern?
The level of sound emitted may vary from one drive to another and as such

this should not give rise to concern or be considered an impending failure.

Hey Everybody,

Just registered to post this. Basically, here's the scoop. I read the review since I was building a new system and didn't want to spend huge bucks for the Raptors with so little storage space, and I decided to buy 2 of the 160 gig drives for SATA RAID 0. After a few days, I started noticing the cat-like meowing of the drives every so often which started to concern me. Here's what I've done:

I used Drive Image to copy all my stuff over to my WD 80 gig special edition and formatted the 2 Hitachis. Then, I unplugged the power from one drive at a time and listened for any noises they might make in Windows. Sure enough, both drives make the meowing noise every once in a while. In my case, it's pretty often, and I think I've narrowed this down, to some extent, to the fact that I have 1 gig of RAM. For that reason, the drives are rarely used for the page file, if ever. Since they aren't being hit unless I'm opening programs or something, they tend to idle alot, so I hear the noise. Also, my case is extremely quiet, so it's a lot more noticeable than it would have been a long time ago.

All in all, these things turned out RAID 0 HD Tach benchmarks slightly faster than my friend's RAID 0 Raptors, and fly through everything I throw at them, so I think I'm gonna stick with them. As long as I know the sounds are apparently normal and not signs of failure like my old 75gxp, I'm not too worried about hearing it every now and then.

Sorry about the rant, but I just wanted to put my 2 cents in after finally finding some people having the same experiences here. Now, I'm gonna go re-image my stuff back to the Hitachi array, boot times are killing me now that I've been spoiled :D. Drives are highly recommended despite the noises, so don't be too scared to take a shot at them, especially if your case isn't super quiet.

-Albert

Sorry, IBM has outworn their welcome at my house. After installing several of their drives in machines for friends and myself, I am still wiping egg off my face.

I realize everyone has failures, but a reduced warranty only adds salt to the wound.

I will take the five year warranty from Western Digital over performance from here on out, especially since the Raptor appeared.

As stated, without proper reliability data, all one has to go by is the warranty.

Maybe I will buy one in two or three years when they have proven reliability but I guess that would be a little too late for IBM\Hitachi.

A ball pein hammer works nicely