Davin

Hitachi Deskstar 7K250

STEDevil, the disappointing trend towards higher access times is not an illusion and is certainly not caused by the change in testbeds or benchmarking SW. This is a real trend that can be seen yourself using the same benchmarking SW for a selection of drives over the past 3 years. Since the Quantum FB+ LM and the IBM 75GXP, there really hasn't been any IDE drive that one could say had a fast actuator except for the Maxtor D740X. Seagate started the trend first with each successive generation of their Barracuda ATA series, culminating in the slothful seek performance of the 7200.7. WD followed, and then IBM and Maxtor.

kmoso, I was just going to mention how refreshing it was to see an IDE drive with a fast actuator. It's been a long time coming.

Well sadly enough I purchased a Hitachi 7k250 drive and have yet to get it to boot an operating system on my Ultra ATA interface in my G4. The drive does run fine on the slower CD ROM interface. I have contacted Hitachi and should be getting in touch with them monday about what steps to take. The drive also makes a very odd high pitched wine about every 25 min. I am %99 sure that I got a bad drive which is to be expected when considering the manufacturing of a new line of products.

Even though the drive isn't working correctly I am VERY impressed by the overal performace of the drive on the SLOWER interface.

I'll post again when this is all resolved,

A.J.

Is there an audible recalibration sound every period of time like 120 & 180GXPs? It will be a decider for me...

Got a 160Gb 8mb cache P-ata version of the drive and the performance is incredible, but the thing makes a peculiar wheezing noise every few minutes, even when it's not idle. The droids at hitachi's support are telling me this is the "idle time function" but I'm not convinced. I'll be replacing it with a WD1600JB soon methinks..

Is there an audible recalibration sound every period of time like 120 & 180GXPs? It will be a decider for me...

Got a 160Gb 8mb cache P-ata version of the drive and the performance is incredible, but the thing makes a peculiar wheezing noise every few minutes, even when it's not idle. The droids at hitachi's support are telling me this is the "idle time function" but I'm not convinced. I'll be replacing it with a WD1600JB soon methinks..

damn...

My PC is on 24/7, I'm sleeping just nearby, if the SATA version also makes the ramp thing, sadly I won't buy that :(

Exactly what answer did you get from Hitachi?

my 160GB 8MB cache PATA 7k250 do not make any noise like my old 180GXP 180GB...

no selftesting, no strange sounds every 10minutes... :blink:

So the standing is 1:1 yes/no, but what does it depend on? :huh:

The noise my 180 makes is sometimes noticeable and othertimes quiet. Otherwise most IBM drives made that noise, not a big deal.

There is a reason mentioned before that the parallel one would be faster; this drive has a PATA to SATA arbitor chip, so it's just like having Abit's serillel built on to it.

Guest Lordneo

can anyone tell me the formatted capacity of the 160gig model ?

I'm guessing its around 150...

Thanks.

160 translates into slightly over 153 gb... I got 2 160gb SATAs, and I don't hear any noise. I did have some problems with vibration (the drive cage in the case is detachable), so I just used some resin strings twisted around screws to dampen it. Both drives pretty quiet so far, all I hear is my old IBM DPTA 34gb and case fans.. I did not hear any noises that are particular to the new 7k250s. Hope it will stay that way... if not - I got my 3 year warranty B)

I just checked out the wav file, I think it's just the vibration... I heard something like that until I've done some vibration dampening, and I have 3 7.2k rpm drives in one drive cage with a cooling fan (plenty of rotation!) B)

160 translates into slightly over 153 gb...

I get about 149 GB, or 156,250,000 KB :huh:

OK, I got 164,694,745,088 on each 7k250 drive... Hitachi should have rated them at 164gb, I guess  B)

1Gb is 1024Mb, I quess :P

Yes, but do you see HD manufactures to measure HD that way? I didn't think so :P

I have a 120mb, makes the same annoying sound every 10-20 mins. This is my second drive doing the same. Don't know if it is by design or not.

I got 2 160 SATAs, no noise so far, just the vibration humming, as in wav file some other guy attached before. I killed that with resin strings tied around mounting screws. The drives been silent ever since, even under heavy load (SiSoft Sandra).

But I do have another issue. I setup Raid0, and continue benching it every once in a while. The drives are fast - but the performance seems to jump around. My Sandra score varies from 70k to 58k at different times but with the same system setup (was about 50k with single drive setup). The only difference is the amount of space occupied, and the scores are kinda inconsistent. When the Raid was almost empty, it was about 65k, later, with more data, it became 70k, with with even more data, it dropped to 58k. I wonder if it is normal for Sandra benchmark score to jump around like that, or is it because I have Raid0, otherwise the 7k250's performance is rather inconsistent. Any ideas?

In a recent SR reader poll, 80% of respondents felt that Sandra was a poor benchmark for hard disks, and most of those backed up that assertion with comments. If you want consistency, don't use Sandra.

so after month i must modify my words...

180gxp does every 20 minutes "sawmill sound" and two times per day "power sound"

7k250 does 2 times per day "sawmill sound" and one time per day "power sound"

180gxp 180gb and 7k250 160gb 8mb cache pata

Hey. I just got my 250GB ATA Version yesterday. I also hear that strange sound sometimes :blink:, but it's really quiet and doesn't bother me at all. The Harddrive itself is the quietest I ever had B) not only idle noise is very low, but also the seek sound is barely hearable, it doesn't get warm at all, and it's fast as hell. I really love it :wub:. Together with my new silent PSU this should make a real nice silent PC :rolleyes:.

Thanks for the review SR :).

I got a 160GB SATA unit three days ago.

I've also noticed the strange noise(like cat-meow)every 10-20 minutes. :(

It do scare me a lot cause I've had two 75GXP(45GB & 30GB) crashed badly before. <_<