Davin

Hitachi Deskstar 7K250

OK, I got 164,694,745,088 on each 7k250 drive... Hitachi should have rated them at 164gb, I guess  B)

All the 160GB HGST OEM drives that I have had (on my 4th & 5th.), have had 164.7GB quoted on the wrapper.

I bought two 160Gb SATA's after reading the SR review. They were DOA. The wrappers had tears where the case screws had indented through, so I guessed they had been drop tested by the couriers.

They wouldn't run the HGST DFT! These made so many clicks & clunks I wouldn't know about the cat noise.

The replacements DID run the HGST DFT and passed OK. This in a Asus A7N8X-delux mobo. (They are -not- seen as SCSI.) The replacements do make the 10 min. set your watch by, meeow.

After two weeks one of those also expired. Corrupted sectors, hanging the system boot up. Lots of seeks and clicks. Also replaced under warrenty. New one also passed the HGST DFT.

They were bought to be a mirror pair for data file storage. Currently spinning, waiting for the next failure. I think all my drives have come from the same batch (MAR-2004) and I don't think I will be buying any more even though the problems I have experienced are probably not of HGST's making. That meeow is just too un-nerving. :(

:lol: , :lol: and, :lol: . I can all ready imagine the sounds coming from 20 of these drives, on the same File-Server on a silent room.

CLICK<MEOW|CLICK<MEOW|CLICK<CLICK|CLICK<CLICK|CLICK<MEOW|CLICK<MEOW|CLICK<MEOW|MEOW<MEOW|CLICK<MEOW|MEOW<MEOW|CLICK<MEOW|CLICK<MEOW|CLICK<CLICK|CLICK<MEOW|CLICK<MEOW|CLICK<MEOW and so on.

But the drive seems interesting, I'll probably go buy the Lowest Capacity Drive from this generation.

:lol: , :lol:  and, :lol: . I can all ready imagine the sounds coming from 20 of these drives, on the same File-Server on a silent room.

CLICK<MEOW|CLICK<MEOW|CLICK<CLICK|CLICK<CLICK|CLICK<MEOW|CLICK<MEOW|CLICK<MEOW|MEOW<MEOW|CLICK<MEOW|MEOW<MEOW|CLICK<MEOW|CLICK<MEOW|CLICK<CLICK|CLICK<MEOW|CLICK<MEOW|CLICK<MEOW and so on.

But the drive seems interesting, I'll probably go buy the Lowest Capacity Drive from this generation.

My idea was to get the lowest capacity (40gb) from Newegg and use it to serve up music. Besides, a drive that meows is something I gotta have in my hoopty old music computer :D

My idea was to get the lowest capacity (40gb) from Newegg and use it to serve up music.  Besides, a drive that meows is something I gotta have in my hoopty old music computer :D

I'm looking at the 80GB or the 120GB Model.

Well, I got the drive today and it was DOA (7x250 40gb Made In China).

It had the click of death out of the box along with some metallic scraping :blink:

The drive was packed pretty well in its box.

This is the first DOA drive I've ever gotten :blink:

Now onto the RMA process...

It's been said already that all single platter IBM/Hitachi are made by a sub-contractor company in China and those drives have been known to be failure-prone. So if you want to get a Hitachi - get 120Gb+, do not get anything 80Gb or less. I dunno why are people still buying those drives...

My new 7K250 drives are from both China and Thailand. From my experience, I've experienced the click of death more from the Thailand (I've had different batches from each plant). I've actually had good experiences with the China plant drives and they seem to be more reliable to me.

Strange thing is, why do ALL of Hitachi (IBMs) drives ultimately go "click click click"... Maybe Hitachi should rethink the design.

It's been said already that all single platter IBM/Hitachi are made by a sub-contractor company in China and those drives have been known to be failure-prone. So if you want to get a Hitachi - get 120Gb+, do not get anything 80Gb or less. I dunno why are people still buying those drives...

ExcelStor, right?

Anyways, I got a sound byte of the DOA drive, and it sounds pretty nasty(metallic scraping!). I could post it here if someone's willing to host it, no?

I don't think that's true. At least my 7K250 80GB is fully Hitachi. And runs fine.

I know the Thailand drives say Made in Thailand BY Hitachi while the Chinese drives say Made FOR Hitachi in China. I double checked the picture in the review here against my Chinese drive.

The company that makes IBM's drives in China also releases an identical model titled "Excelstor"

Most new drives move the heads when idle to keep them from heating up. Only the 7k250 does it loudly. What if this firmware completely shuts off the feature so the heads never move when idle? Only time will tell whether this will cause more drive failures(unless it's official Hitachi firmware).

CLICK<MEOW ... and so on.

You funny guy ...... :angry: ...... make me scroll my ass off!

How large is Your monitor?

On my 17" it's damned annoying.

Christer

new firmware is available and yes it does fix the meow noise and clunk sound that occurs every so often. Call Hitachi technical support and ask for it. A special version of DFT will be sent to you if you can convince them to send it.

Please don't ask me to send it as Hitachi has requested that I do not distribute it.

new firmware is available and yes it does fix the meow noise and clunk sound that occurs every so often.  Call Hitachi technical support and ask for it.  A special version of DFT will be sent to you if you can convince them to send it.

Please don't ask me to send it as Hitachi has requested that I do not distribute it.

lol

get them here, SATA version is also available now:

http://www.envynews.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=6563

Hi folks,

Am I being a bit slow here or wasnt the review article done on a 250GB SATA drive?

90% of folks talking about the "cat" and "click" sounds seem to have older drives such as the 40 and 80GBs.

Id like to purchase a 250GB SATA, and just want to make sure we're all talking about the same drive ;)

hmmm?

Ah ok... but since this is a review of the 250GB, what's the conclusion of ppl's experience of the 250GB SATA? Does it click-purr-meow-hiss etc? Are folks happy with the drive? :)

No need to drag the old cat out of the bag with the new review, now is it? :ph34r:

The question is ...... :unsure: ...... does the drive benefit from the firmware update in other respects ...... :unsure: ...... or does it reduce reliability?

Christer

I got a replacement for my one of the 2 old 7k250s (one died on me a month ago), well, the old (sep. 2003) drive works without any sounds whatsoever, but the new one (mar 2004) clicks once in a while. No cat sounds so far. Anyone knows, if the drives can actually develop this cat sound after being used for a bit?