Sign in to follow this  
balding_ape

Advice on Flat Panel TV

My fiancee would very much like to be able to watch television from our bedroom, but we have a very small room, so a conventional TV doesn't fit. We don't need a really big screen -- 15-20" would be fine, but if we hang it on the wall, it can't stick out more than six or so inches.

Does anyone have recommendations for a good TV for this purpose? Preferably, one that costs less than $600.

If not, could anyone point me to a good site for reviews/discussion on that sort of thing? I can fairly easily find one via google, but if someone knows a particularly good one, I'd appreciate the advice.

Thanks!

I saw a samsung 15-17" LCD TV today, looked pretty slick, nice picture too....didn't get a model#, though.

Looked like this one

Do not, I repeat, Do Not rely on others opinions to make your final decisions. You are always better off buy taking into consideration various view points(isn't that the case with everyting?), doing research on the net, then comes the all important part. Go into a store(preferably, depending on your patience/fiance's temperance....it's a must to get her input, trust me on that!) and view as many models as you can under different lighting conditions. There is always the problem that stores have multiple input sources, and varing quality of interconnections...but you gain the most perspective by hands on viewing. You might want to consider return policy; after you make the purchase, you may not like how it displays or works in you own bedroom.

Lots of considerations, I'm sure you will be asked to clarify on(more detailed explanation of what you will be watching, from what input sources). Consider that you may want to get a set top box for OTA(over the air) HDTV purposes in the next year or two. Consider the resolution of the TV, again as possible HD developments occur---lots more HD material being broadcast this season(check the listings on http://www.titantv.com/). Unless you are going with something as small as 15in., you should consider resolution...20in will do a very good job of displaying a HD source, that is distinguishable from SD TV. Also consider you want the ability to connect(even if not going HDTV) to a digital source...meaning get a digital TV. Samsung sir-t165(listed on Crutchfield's site, but you can get it for less than $500, read the review on Amazon.com) OTA HDTV tuner/decoder has the most flexibility for now as an add on to any TV that can display an HDTV source.Read last of 8 reviews on the Samsung sir-t165

I was just in BestBuy tonight looking at the various flat panel TV's, and damn it, I loved the thought of the very wide angle widescreen 22in. Sharp for $1,799? But then I looked at the 15in, 20in LCD's around it; and dang it, they have this $10k Panasonic 5031HD 50in plasma next to them. Surprise, what ever is going on with scaling/display sources. The EspnHD broadcast they were showing had at least 20% wide source being displayed on the 50in plasma compared to the 22in super wide screen(2:35:1 ratio?) which seemed to be maybe streching a 4:3 input??? I don't know what was happening, but even the 43in plasma could not display as much of the source(a football game) as the 50in. Big difference between a LCD TV and plasma though, is the you can get closer to a LCD as the pixel structure is much smaller/closely spaced. Now I want that damned Samsung 53in LCD...for mucho dinnero; but damn the picture should be awesome...you know lying in bed with the woman a mere 5ft from the frickin' 53in LCD screen, watching HD material...udaman's already salivating(just need to rob a bank first).

Mag 15in. LCD/TV is on Bestbuy.com for $399, though you can search and get it for less. Consider that you may want to replace whatever you buy now, with something better in less than a year or 2(kind of like computers or digicams, they rapidly change in performance/cost value). Consider also that OELD(Organic electro luminous display...or something like that) are suppose to replace both the LCD and Plasma markets in the near future(that's a big if, could take 5 years)...as the largest manufacturer of LCD's in Korea, is not retooling an LCD plant to make this new kind of display; that unlike LCD's, does not use backlighting. So in a few years we should have OELD's as half to 1/4 the price of current LCD's that are brighter, contrasty, thinner, and 2k resolution....I can't wait!

Did I leave anything out? Oh, lots I'm sure.

LCD buying guide site

Plasma buying guide

Oh dang it, ddrueding1 is up late tonight too, beat me to the punch.

there is no substitute for the avs forum when it comes to all things home theater-related. are you SURE that you need it to be a flat panel screen? they're notoriously bad on black levels and high-motion. the samsung rear-projection dlp sets are very thin and very amazing.

Much thanks for the help!

there is no substitute for the avs forum when it comes to all things home theater-related. are you SURE that you need it to be a flat panel screen? they're notoriously bad on black levels and high-motion. the samsung rear-projection dlp sets are very thin and very amazing.

I hadn't realized rear-projection were that thin. It certainly doesn't have to be an LCD -- I just thought that was the only thing I'd get that was thin (and not 30+ inches, which I neither need nor want to pay for). I'll start looking into them.

I'd try to dissuade the idea of having a TV in the bedroom.

....take it from a "old married man".... the less distractions in the bedroom, the better off your marriage will be :-)

Cheers

Spinme

actually, i'd agree with that too. i try to not have anything related to entertainment in my bedroom because it makes it harder for me to sleep. you get this kind of mental association with watching tv, using the computer, or whatever.

To a degree I'll concede the point about having a TV in the bedroom can be a problem...but that just depends on the person. When you a physically sick(just it might apply to mental too ;) ), or injured...a TV can be a life saver of a distraction in the bedroom for either spouse(he says, legs proped up, herniated lower back disc causing referred back pain!).

I'll add that regulars to the avs forum write articles for hometheaterHome Theater Hifi e-zine site

However another point I'll respectfully disagree with honold on is dlp rear projection of forward projection. LCD's and plasma's have now, wider sweetspot(not total viewing angle...remember, udaman is perfectionists/high-end/high-tech). Notorious for poor black levels, but honold have you seen the higher rated Pany plasma side-by-side with your best pict for rearprojection dlp? Or, better yet(getting a bit too high-end again) the Runco plasmas with their separate processing "magical" boxes? In a bedroom, like an appartment or so; newer LCD's with the closer pixel structure is much easier on my eyes than plasma(but I'll hold out for 2k OELD's!). I just can't get excited about any rear projection setups, and still due to focus, or something, the images look 'soft'(difficult to explain without you being there right next to both types, for me to point it out). All rear projection setups are thicker than LCD' period. How thick balding_ape is willing to put up with is another matter. An LCD will be the lightest weight, thinnest, easiest to reposition or move to another room, etc. And like I said, trying to anticipate all possibilites; in another year or two balding_ape, you, or me; may see much better technology for even less money, such that we all have buyers remorse(except if balding_ape heads my 'wisdom', and spends as little as he can on a Mag 15in LCD or like model, and then has some money he's willing to spend a few years later on something much more improved) I can't predict how fast things improve, but I always think; "damn why did I spend so much on that a few years ago, look what I can get now for half the money".

I still say that the most imperative thing is for balding_ape to decide the uses, what his SO thinks; then most importantly, go into more than a few stores, and do hands on comparision viewing...noting caveats about poor setups in most stores. I was really hopefull about that super wide screen Sharp 22in(too expensive for balding_ape I know) as it was only the vertical dimension of a 15in. But then I saw the ESPN HD broadcast, and half of the ESPNHD logo in the lower corner was cropped off! While the Pany 50in Plasma went further out past the logo, the Pioneer with only 16:9 ration was displaying a full 10% or more of the viewable widescreen picture. If viewing lots of sports, well what can I say, source material has a LOT to do with the high-motion thing you are talking about. I saw a HD football game being displayed on a Pioneer 60in+ or so, rear projection(and Elite model) and the crowds waving their home school flags in the first 10 rows or so, the flags were 'stuttering' in motion...looked really, really crappy compared to the 42 or 50in Pioneer Elite Plasma's in the same viewing room---and the colors, including black levels were better on the plasma's.

You're going to get different types of motion problems with various types of screens and source material, newer LCD's are now faster, brighter; but next few years, the current line up may look like annoying junk!!!...I encourage balding_ape to read throught the LCD review site I have linked to...then go into a store and judge with his lady, how much certain types of flaws bother the most; the usual caveat applies "YMMV"(and opinion).

LCD's and plasma's have now, wider sweetspot

this is not a signifigant issue in a bedroom with a static viewing point (namely, the bed)

bringing up runco plasmas is a joke. of course a $12k device is going to mitigate the natural shortcomings of a given technology. still no cure for burn-in, though, and rp-dlp has none of it :)

as a pc enthusiast / gamer, the response time of most lcds (especially the lower end) absolutely kills me for action shows and whatnot.

if it's gotta be cheap and it's gotta be super thin and it's only going to be used to watch late night with conan, i'm sure a small _decent_ lcd would be fine (but still over budget).

if it's gotta be cheap and it's gotta be super thin and it's only going to be used to watch late night with conan, i'm sure a small _decent_ lcd would be fine (but still over budget).

This is pretty much the situation. The only LCDs that I've found that would fit my criteria are $800+ for 17". Well, I guess it's either wait for a couple years, or bite the bullet....

I'm not too worried about a bedroom TV's effect on my future marriage; the only reason we are thinking about getting it is that my fiancee is currently in the habit of falling asleep while watching TV -- she wants to see the end of a show, but sleep overtakes her first. And once she's asleep, getting her up is nearly impossible. I appreciate the advice, though, and I'll keep it in mind.

Thanks for all your help.

I'm not too worried about a bedroom TV's effect on my future marriage

i was mentioning the quality of sleep/relaxation you get, not your marriage (directly) :)

I'm not too worried about a bedroom TV's effect on my future marriage

i was mentioning the quality of sleep/relaxation you get, not your marriage (directly) :)

Well then, I guess we know where MY mind is.... ;)

I'd try to dissuade the idea of having a TV in the bedroom.

....take it from a "old married man".... the less distractions in the bedroom, the better off your marriage will be :-)

Cheers

Spinme

Depends upon the materiel being shown on the "distraction"...some is quite instructional or at least motivational...

FS