Csybe

Barracuda 7200.7 - audible offline scan again?

I just bought the 120 gb 7200.7 Barracuda....and noticed this series of posts. Should I return this drive because of the audible offline seek? It's still wrapped in plastic so I won't be charged the 15% restocking fee.

I think the 7200.7 drives are decent performers and still quieter than a WD. If you're obsessed with noise then get a DM+9 and set it to quiet mode... if not then keep the seagate.

I want a reliable drive: All the drives carry roughly the same warranty and are made with roughly the same reliability.

Unfortunately that is not true. Maxtor drives for example, quiet and fast, but not reliable... lots of sudden death, maybe electronics problems... no chance of data saving! At least Seagate is reliable, that's why I use them... Now, ONLY that's why :(

I'd have to say that is a biased opinion. I'm currently using several (ten if you're interested in details) 120GB DiamondMax 9 Maxtors and 3 200GB's and they all have been working fine since they've been in 24/7 operation (bought them from about January 2002 to last Summer). I've never had to RMA a Maxtor drive.

IMO Seagate seeks are much louder and maybe it's just me but it sounds 'flimsy'... IBM's improved their Deathstars a lot, and their 'slim'v ersions i.e. the 40-80GB 180GXPs/7K250s I have no problem with. My two cents.

Use of search is allowed, there is ton of threads about this issue, i think i posted the first one. See also review thread. It seems it doesn't apply to all 7200.7 or perhaps some people just have too loud sys/env to hear it. My SATA 7200.7 sure does the described noises.

I have the same idle noise with my st3200822a. I contacted many times with seagate. They gave conflicting answers to my mails, so I called them. They told me all the new drives make the same noise and there is no way to prevent this. Also, before, in the bios, I changed the mode to silent mode, but I guess it does not affect the Seagate one. Cause this ~1 minute lasting noisy musical (reminding me of STOMP of bone cracking) never stops. I don't know if they will put on their website a patch for that, I hope they will, because it does not seem to be normal.

Has anyone considered it may be the o/s indexing service (which vigorously reads all text-based documents during idle periods)? Or is the HDD light completely off during these "grinding periods"?

Has anyone considered it may be the o/s indexing service (which vigorously reads all text-based documents during idle periods)? Or is the HDD light completely off during these "grinding periods"?

If I'm not mistaken, no lights during these periods and it is not related to OS at all. When I put in external enclosure without connecting it to the usb port, and turn on the power, the noise starts in at most ~1 minute, stops, waits..., and starts again, stops, waits..., and starts again,...

I installed the new 7200.7 and I do hear some occasional noise coming from the hard drive...but I can live with it. It would say it's pretty much drowned out by my old 20 gig maxtor (which has an annoying very high frequency sound) and the system fans, so not a cause for concern.

If I'm not mistaken, no lights during these periods and it is not related to OS at all. When I put in external enclosure without connecting it to the usb port, and turn on the power, the noise starts in at most ~1 minute, stops, waits..., and starts again, stops, waits..., and starts again,...

Ok. Just wanted to be sure.

guys. heres a tip. the best drive i have ever had is the ST3120022A. It is a 120GB, and theres a 160GB available as well. I have a XASER III, and i doubt that it would have anything to do with it but it is a great drive. I can sustane a 50MB/s transfer rate minimum, usually 60MB/s and i never hear it. NEVER. I plugged it in and thought i had killed it since i had dropped it taking it out of its bag but it hadnt broken, it was just completely silent. The computer is very close to me, and unless i put it on defrag and put my ear inside the case i cant hear ANYTHING at all. There are no firmware problems, no whine, and it does not have anti-idle. When i turn all the fans off and set the cpu fan to a completely silent 600 RPM(keeps my AMD-64 3200+ at 54 degrees C) and set it on defrag and let it idle as well. both times i could not hear it until my ear was about 4 inches away. Bye :).

Ok. Just wanted to be sure.

Mine does exactly the same thing... and as u i went over here to gt an answer. Its presumably called "STIR"... wich is a safety feature wich cannot be turned off.

Was actually pissing me off... but after i while i hardly notice it anymore. Use it in my server wich is on 24/7 (wery silent.. only 1 slow 80mm fan in it)

It still does it though... if i listen for it ;)

Other than that... the drive is exceptionally quiet... and i think Seagate is my #1 choice for the next drive.