Sign in to follow this  
HellDiver

'Cuda IVs slow in RAID 0 on high-end controllers too ???

I'm sure we've read here on SR those dreadful stories of Cudas crawling when forced to run in RAID 0 off cheapo RAID controllers like HPT366/370/372, Promise 265/265R etc. based ones, and especially in cases of on-board versions.

But how about the high-end IDE RAID controllers? I dunno, Escalade 6xxx/7xxx, 2400A and such stuff... Do Cudas play nice when ran off those?

Guest russofris
I'm sure we've read here on SR those dreadful stories of Cudas crawling when forced to run in RAID 0 off cheapo RAID controllers like HPT366/370/372, Promise 265/265R etc. based ones, and especially in cases of on-board versions.

But how about the high-end IDE RAID controllers? I dunno, Escalade 6xxx/7xxx, 2400A and such stuff... Do Cudas play nice when ran off those?

Nobody has tested ATA-IV's on a cheap ATA-133 controller yet. I've been asking, but I guess nobody has gotten around to it yet.

My feeling is... If the problem stated by Seagate is true (the arbitration is to fast for current cheap ATA-100 controllers), then using an ATA-133 controller should alieviate most of the symptoms that we are seeing (due to their increased processing capability).

Sound right?

Anyone with two ATA-IV's willing to try this?

Thank you for your time,

Frank Russo

Guest russofris
hpt 372 contains a ata133 controller, but the performance is poor also.

And this is confirmed or hearsay? I assume that you have tried it or have seen a result set from this scenario.

Thank you for your time,

Frank Russo

And this is confirmed or hearsay?  I assume that you have tried it or have seen a result set from this scenario.

Thank you for your time,

Frank Russo

I fail to see why an expensive RAID controller would change anything.

Stereodude

And this is confirmed or hearsay?  I assume that you have tried it or have seen a result set from this scenario.

Let's put it this way, Frank - I've read about it (specifically HPT372) more than once (as it's installed on KR7A-RAID, a board I considered buying) on different forums. I think you can read a perfect example of one stubborn individual's fight in this thread on VIAHardware's.

Actually I don't think ATA133 compliance has anything to do with it... In fact what I suspect (and what I'm actually trying to find out by starting this thread!) is that it's possible the low-end contrllers' silicon is simply too slow to handle the job properly... I dunno, Like Matrox's 450/550 cards are too slow for today's gaming, or something (though this is not a very appropriate example)...

Guest russofris

Let's put it this way, Frank - I've read about it (specifically HPT372) more than once (as it's installed on KR7A-RAID, a board I considered buying) on different forums. I think you can read a perfect example of one stubborn individual's fight in this thread on VIAHardware's.

Cool nuff,

I am just trying to make sure that we've tested all the possibilities. I'd love to see the results tith the Promise 133 adaptor as well.

Wouldn't it be nice if hardware worked as advertised?

Frank Russo