honold

another dell example for ye non-believers

Celeron® Processor 2.00GHz, 400FSB, 128K Cache Qty: 1 Unit Price: 321.00

Floppy Drive No Floppy Drive, Filler Panel

Mouse Dell PS/2 2-Button Mouse

Audio Solutions Integrated Audio

Special Offer - Security Software FREE 12 MONTH SUBSCRIPTION! Norton Antivirus® 2003

Hardware Support Services 1 Year Limited Warranty plus 1 Year NBD On-Site Service

Productivity Software SPECIAL! Microsoft ® Office Basic 2003 and Adobe Acrobat 6.0

Operating System(s) Windows® XP Home Version, Service Pack 1, with CD using NTFS

Memory 128MB DDR Non-ECC SDRAM, 333MHz, 1 DIMM

Monitors No Monitor

Keyboards Dell PS/2 Keyboard, No Hot Keys

Boot Hard Drives 40GB EIDE 7200RPM

Installation Support Services No Installation

Integrated Network Adapter (NIC) Integrated Broadcom 4401 10/100Mb LOM w/ remote wake-up

Removable Media Storage Devices No Optical

Mail-In Rebate Offer $50 MAIL IN REBATE

Graphic Cards Embedded Intel® Extreme® Graphics

price? $231 after rebate. yes, that includes a full version of adobe acrobat (retails for more than the pc itself), office _2003_, xp home, and a full year of norton antivirus.

http://www.fatwallet.com/forums/messagevie...threadid=226284 for details.

note: the first 5 digits of the evalue code don't matter, so just enter some random numbers if the code listed doesn't work. i tested in my cart and i can only get it down to $321 - $50 for a total of $271. still smoking.

oh also if you ever think you'll want a floppy, order theirs, otherwise you won't get a cage for one to add later. should be cool as far as skipping their optical drive and tossing a black lite-on cdrw in there.

you didnt send any to me!!! And I just got here to this forum yesterday - although I have been a reader of the site bi-weekly or so for a couple of years.... also I am not sure about the rules of this forum, so I dont think I should post my number and extension, but if I am told that I can, I will....

Since we're in this thread again...

The Small Business site is selling the 2001FP for $749.99.

Is there another coupon / promotion that stacks with this deal?

$750 is an incredible deal... but if I can save another $50+ per unit, I'm all for it! :)

DogEared

8^D

NEC FP2141SB - 22 (20" viewable) CRT SuperBright display, native resolution 85hz @ 1600x1200. (the best Monitor NEC/Mitsubishi makes) 610$ shipped. I have yet to understand why people are transfixed on LCDs... Whatever floats your boat, but deal or no deal, CRTs FOR ME win hands down anytime. It's just a better picture. Any non-believers bring your best LCD to my house and compare it to my CRT... There won't be any arguement. Cheers

After I get my 2001FP calibrated (OptiCal), I'll have objective performance data... but DAMN that's a nice monitor.

The 2001FP is a little bright, and I have no way to rotate the display (software). But I am impressed. Right now "black" is not really black, but the colors and the clarity are near the quality to my calibrated Viewsonic (colors are a bit over saturated, but heh...).

Once things get dialed in, the CRT will be my seconday monitor. The CRT's only advantage will be increased resolution.

And I can put the LCD 6" away from my face for insane details. ( I made the mistake of playing Jedi Academy with the panel about 1ft from my face. Made me queasy. :D)

DogEared

ATI is only showing the rotation software for the Mac. I haven't seen it on my current setup. I didn't think I'd be missing my old GeForce 256!! :blink:

As to why:

About half of the photos I shoot are "Portrait". So I was looking forward to looking at them at 100% rather than 25% or 50%.

Besides...."because I can" kind of applies here, too. :D

Oh, well, I'll be interested to hear with Dell Support says

DogEared

8^)

I found out it's a registry "hack" to enable rotation. Apparently it's not enabled by default.

I had to download the rage3d tweaker....now the rotate option shows up everywhere!

*sigh*

But it works great. Now I can edit my portrait photos @ 50%.

DogEared

8^)

NEC FP2141SB - 22 (20" viewable) CRT SuperBright display, native resolution 85hz @ 1600x1200. (the best Monitor NEC/Mitsubishi makes) 610$ shipped. I have yet to understand why people are transfixed on LCDs... Whatever floats your boat, but deal or no deal, CRTs FOR ME win hands down anytime. It's just a better picture. Any non-believers bring your best LCD to my house and compare it to my CRT... There won't be any arguement. Cheers

Regarding overall image quality, yes a high end CRT can clearly not be matched by the best LCD has to offer. However, for many applications LCDs are more than "good enough" and when you consider what it takes to lug 18 21" LCDs on and off a truck to events compared to 18 22" CRTs, you'll quickly appreciate the advantages of LCDs.

Regarding LCD reviews:

Can anyone comment on the reliability of Xbitlabs' LCD reviews?

Offhand, they look well-done by knowledgeable folk, but lots of pretty graphs and whatnot doesn't necessarily mean they know which end is up.

i know nvidia has nvrotate, but i believe ati has their own rotation software as well.  what is the reason people prefer this format?

I'm a programmer and I find it easier to see the overall structure of the code in portrait mode. Also, consider that you rarely see people writing on a piece of paper in landscape mode, nor are there many books published that way.

Of course if I only had one monitor it would probably be in landscape. But I have three -- the two on the sides are in landscape and the one in the middle is in portrait. Strangely enough, quite often I have the application on the portrait-mode monitor maximized. The reason that is strange is that I kid people unmercifully who always run their applications maximized...

-- Rick