davidedney123

THG 7k250 review

Hi

Toms Arseware Guide has a 7K250 review up:

http://www.tomshardware.com/storage/200310...eskstar-01.html

I know it's very in to rip on THG, but leaving the technical prowess of this particular article aside the standard of English is pidgin, with grammar having left the building. I know the guys may not be native English speakers, but that's what editors are for. That said, compared to a lot of material on the 'net this crap is up there with the titans of English literature.

Dave

I noticed that they mentioned a Maxtor Diamond Max Plus? 300GB?, the Plus are 7.2kRPM models from Maxtor and a 300GB 7.5kRPM drive doesn't exist from Maxtor.

It seems that at least 2 poeple, who dont talk to each other, wrote the article...

in the front of the article, the temp was "worlds apart" being a whopping 7 degrees cooler (46 instead of 53) than the previous model, but they conclude that the temp difference is no big deal... So can it be worlds appart, and no big deal? not normally...

I have the 160gig version -

-1Temperature: -1(-1CPU: 52°C, Case: 34°C, Hitachi: 44°C, Maxtor: 54°C, CPU fan: 4623RPM, Case: 2909RPM, Fan 3: 4623RPM-1)

10c cooler than maxtor d740x, 10c net temp!

THG probably measured the temperature with a rectal thermometer they found in a 2nd hand shop, so I'll be waiting for SRs review before taking it as gospel that it's a nice cool drive. After my positive experiences with about 50 120 and 180GXPs I think I am ready to start trusting IBM/HGST reliability again too.

Dave

Oddly, although the Hitachi 7K250 was performance tested by SR weeks ago, the database entry does not yet contain thermal data. Perhaps Eugene is otherwise occupied or else there is a technical issue.

B

As something of a coincedence, I just notice those for the first time now. I was about to mention it because I hadn't seen anybody else do so yet. I guess that just leaves my comments on the results..

Looks like a very impressive drive, and the first to knock the JB from the leaderboard since it's introduction. And extremely quiet as well!

Few weeks ago I bought 160GB p-ata version of 7k250. From my experiance so far, drive is very fast at reading, cool and relatively quite ;)

I also have 120GB 180GXP drive in my system, and and 7K250 is noticeably faster and little less noisy ...

As for temperatures ... Drives are positioned in drive cage above power supply inside AOpen H700B tower case. Neither are cooled in any way.

180GXP - 44C under normal load

7K250 - 39C under normal load

180GXP - 49C under heavy load (40 min.intra-partition copying)

7K250 - 44C under heavy load (40 min. intra-partition copying)

If any of you wants me to run any benchmark just say so ... with settings you want of course ...

Edited by Future Shock

noticed something about this drive, it makes a constant, reoccuring hum. its quite a low frequency and its audible throughtout the house! :(

that kinda sounds like vibration... of the drive or reverberation inside your case... perhaps better mounting would stop that. Does it happen if you run the drive on your desk vs in the case?

I have two 160Gb 7K250 mounted next to each other, virtually silent.

Compared to my two maxtors in the same case they are a dream.

I actually had to install the maxtors in vibration thingies to keep them silent.

No need with my 7K250's...

Just swapped my dead Barracuda IV 80GB for a 160GB 7K250 8MB cache and the 7K250 makes less noise compared to the Barracuda. I've the disk lying on the bottom of the case on some bubblewrap.