FluffyChicken

Harddrives.... Future Improvements coming out

So Harddrives.

Does anyone know of any future improvent that are in development and soon to come out.

Like larger caches?

There's the 100GB platters (200GB compressed ;)) j/k

any other companies getting near this?

Faster spin speeds, any more going to join the 10Krpm IDE's

20Krpm SCSI's anytime soon ?

Quiet Technology ?

I know SATA/SAS will be out, improving..

Benefits of SAS over SATA?

Rumors, rumors.......

Things in development but don't know when/if they will be introduced.

perpendicular (vertical) recording

tunneling-magnetoresistive (TMR) heads

patterned media

www.electronicstimes.com/tech/news/OEG20030915S0022

Over the next few years, disk drive suppliers will introduce 10K and 15K RPM disk drives in a 15 mm high, 2.5-inch form factor.

www.maxtor.com/en/documentation/white_papers/sas_interface_archit.pdf

This pdf file also has some information on the benefits of SAS and is 4 pages (974KB)

And here I thought the 73GB Raptor was the next big thing. Sheesh!

Eventually, I think most drives produced will be solid state. A new memory technology that makes it very cheap to store vast quantities of data will be the trigger.

Cache size:

ATA manufacturers think mostly about costs. Memory costs continue to go down fast. The cache size should continue to increase, from the current "standard" of 8MB, to 16 or more probably 32 MB within at most a couple years.

Areal Density / Capacity per platter:

I've read somewhere that there were 3 manufacturers planning on introducing a 100 GB/p 3.5" ATA drive. This should make Seagate (who said it would), Maxtor (who rumored it would) and... WD?

The next level is expected at 120 GB/p, and should hit (my bet only) late '04.

Spin speeds:

This is costly but gets performance. I'd see it coming for desktops only if performance is really required (and with cache sizes increasing, the pressure may be off). Raptor' claims to success notwithstanding, I'd guess all other manufacturers are checking the sales numbers closely before introducing their own competitors to Raptor. For servers (SCSI et al) the story is different. 20K should eventually (say within a couple years) be in the offing.

Yéti

Actually memory costs arent in the same ball parks with computer memory and embeded application memories... because the cache is custom configured into the ASICs (application specific ICs) that run your hard drive it'll always be far more expensive than DDR DIMMS.

With Sun's announcement (that they agian stole my invention, damn I have to learn to call the patent office) that they claim will elliminate circuit boards in smaller devices.. -I was thinking this technology would make things like cache sizes more configureable.

[q]because the cache is custom configured into the ASICs (application specific ICs) that run your hard drive it'll always be far more expensive than DDR DIMMS.[/q]That's not true. If you look at the HD PCB you will see that it uses perfectly ordinarly pc100 ICs. The exact same type as used in dimms.

That's not true.  If you look at the HD PCB you will see that it uses perfectly ordinarly pc100 ICs.  The exact same type as used in dimms.

Since 256mb is the most common (and cheapest) sdram, all drives should have 32MB cache then?

The manufacturers probably not in the spot market

buying memories but rather have long contracts.

And having a few contracts on chips is far more

price effective than several.

And contracts makes chips alot cheaper in the begining

but as for comodities always more expensier near the end

to finally be the lifeline in the end.

/casa