Dollar

Tyan 760MPX & IDE controllers, what works?

I've got a Tyan Tiger MPX, 2x 1.2GHz MP's and a gig of memory. Currenty I run 2x Promise TX2 ATA100 controllers (in the two 64/66 PCI slots) and on the 32/33 bus I've got an Adaptec ASC19160 plus an Intel PRO/1000 MT NIC.

Odd setup, but the system won't load Win2k3 server with the either Promise card on the same bus as the SCSI card. I run a single SCSI driver for OS and 12x Western 200GB SE for storage.

I need more space on it, put I don't know what ATA controller card to get, I have a RocketRAID 404, but the system locks up after about 5 seconds if i plug it in so that won't work, another Promise won't work (boot failure on the availible PCI slots) and a swap for 3Ware 75xx is to pricy up in norway (~$800).

It all cooks down to; Are other Highpoint based controllers prudent to crash, is silicon image something to look for or should I change the whole thing for a P4/HT and gigalan on CSA. My current system hardly pushes more than ~40-50MB/s over LAN anyway.

I've had very poor experience with Highpoint.

What do you do with the system?

Do you have the same issue with a different scsi card?

If you don't need much of the data all the time, I would move a large portion to another system.

Honestly, you are using IDE past its breaking point. Typically this much storage on one system is found on high end systems usings SCSI. If I needed this much storage, I would be thinking fiber channel.

You might be able to get a 3ware card sent to norway from the states for less. You might have luck on ebay.com

I can't say that the 3ware will work well, but you will probably have better luck with it than a promise or highpoint.

You can always try getting one from a place that will take it back if you don't like it.

It's a lan/internet filserver, and it comes out of my own pocket (student, age 23) so SCSI is not an option. On regards to other SCSI controllers I have a Tekram U160 in my WS, but with the Adaptec/Winxp performance issue (still not resolve?) I don't want to swap them.

Even on BX-boards I've had a rough time with Highpoint's so with this board (which is a nightmare with regards to all kinds of compatibility) I need something that 'works in every way'.

Anyone tried SI cards on this board or on a system with Adaptec SCSI?

I may have a related problem witg a 66Mhz PCI card. On the same board when the cards are in 66Mhz mode a 64 bit 66Mhz dual head display card I have will not work correctly. It shows one screen or the other. In 32Mhz mode all is well. I placed a jumper in j92 to limit the speed of the PCI bus to 32 Mhz and it worked fine. I know the promise cards you have can run at 66Mhz. Try placing a jumper j92 and see if the promise cards will boot.

I also have a Tyan 760MPX board. The first, very important, thing to do is to go to Tyan's site and get the latest bios version. Server boards in general and the 760MPX in particular often have a lot of conflicts because of the way their expansion slots are setup. Having the latest bios can get rid of some strange or just plain annoying conflicts, I should know.

It might also be a good idea to flash your 1000MT adapter on another STABLE system. The 1000MT actually has some post issues with certain hardware and the Tyan 760MPX is one of them. You can trace that down on Intel's site but it is a bit hard to find (if you need a link let me know). Make absolutely sure you grab the right flash file for your model of network card, assuming your card doesn't miraculously have the latest firmware.

If it helps any, my 760MPX is working fine with a 3WARE 8500-12 in one 64-bit slot, an Intel 1000MT 64-bit adapter in the other 64-bit slot, a Highpoint RocketRaid 1540, and Intel 1000MT 32-bit adapter. This is after updating bios and firmware on the cards and mobo.

The promise cards works great @ 66MHz as long as neither share a PCI bus with the Adaptec card, that combination craches upon loading windows with on either PCI bridge. However all three cards work togehter on an Abit IC7-G.

Got recent BIOS's on SCSI card, promises and nic. Mainboard is on a BIOS from 01/31/03, a new BIOS will be my last try (I don't have any easy mean of flashing it at the moment).

I orderd $15 'demo' Sunsway ATA133 controller (SI chip) just now, so I'll give it that a go. At that price it's worth a try.