Sign in to follow this  
Prof.Wizard

Passing from 512 to 768MB RAM

I have a fairly old VIA KT266-E system running pleasantly with 512MB for some two years now. I don't have main memory problems (watching the task manager I commit some 300-350MB with various tasks and windows open) but I consider giving my sys a small upgrade, some life before a complete upgrade.

Apart from the HD that I have already ordered and it's a 8MB PATA Hitachi 7K250 of 160GB, I was wondering if 256MB of more RAM will boost my performance and in which tasks/scenarios. Will it worth the circa €50?

Office? Games? Many instances of programs?

Unless your 512 MB is barely enough you won't see much benefit. A good rule of thumb is that doubling the memory gives a noticeable improvement. Upgrading to a ful GB would be better.

Office? Games? Many instances of programs?

Office certainly won't see any real improvement, games are usually written to run well in 512M. You will see an improvement when running many instances, as you will have less paging.

You may also see an improvement if you happen to run large image editing programs that chew up memory (Photoshop), or numerical simulations.

As for whether or not it is a good use of 50 Euros, it's hard to say without knowing where else you could spend that on you system...CPU upgrade, better power supply, upgrading to XP if using Win 98, etc. Maybe the best use is to put it towards purchasing a DVD burner? I would tend to spend it on something I COULD take to a new system (software, optical drives, harddrives, case, powersupply) rather than RAM which will almost certainly be of a slower speed than my new system will want.

Future Shock

A good rule of thumb is that doubling the memory gives a noticeable improvement.  Upgrading to a ful GB would be better.

This would be too costly. <_<

+50% in size (another 256MB) where will it be felt mostly? Which apps or situations will benefit?

I would tend to spend it on something I COULD take to a new system (software, optical drives, harddrives, case, powersupply) rather than RAM which will almost certainly be of a slower speed than my new system will want.

That's a very very very good point to consider.

Thanks. :)

I upped from 512MB to 768MB on my A-XP1600+ :)

Only place i noticed anything different was in BF1942... quicker menues and shorter load time :)

Dont use photoshop or any other mem hog proggie much though.

You may see it on responsiveness if you use a lot of apps are more of it will stay in memory or in disk cache.

You will see a difference if you play games like UT2003 or similar.

I had 512k+128k in my system the 128k got poorly so had to remove it. Now I get some stutter in some games (like UT2003) and the system is not as 'snappy'

Probably a combination of graphics tectures and audigy EAX sounds all using it up in the games.

Less memory hungry games (Warcraft, GTA:VC, Tropico etc) are not not effected.

But I can live with it.

I guess I was just at the point of needing a little more, you may not be (XP here btw, but trimmed slightly).

It's all down to the 'could do, could not do' answer.

Unless your 512 MB is barely enough you won't see much benefit.  A good rule of thumb is that doubling the memory gives a noticeable improvement.  Upgrading to a ful GB would be better.

i don't think most people would be able to tell the difference between 512 and 1gb

Even if they used (say) 384 MB of it as a RAM drive for their page file? Or risked eliminating their pagefile altogether?

Office certainly won't see any real improvement

I am not convinced that Office does not benefit from more memory. I have noticed a huge improvement - more than double - in Access query performance when upgrading RAM. I have also noticed a performance boost in Excel, especially when multiple and complex files are accessed repeatedly through VBA calls.

Guys, I'll probably put the extra 256MB for three reasons:

1) I play games.

2) I plan to play newer, more demanding games.

3) LOST6200's post about Office.

I'll prolly commit these €50 afterall. :rolleyes:

PS. HMTK is right about the rule of the thumb, generally.

lost's comment was about access databases, not general office use.

if you double something and notice, you should also notice a 25% increase. i don't understand that 'rule of thumb' at all.

if you double something and notice, you should also notice a 25% increase.  i don't understand that 'rule of thumb' at all.

So if you notice 1/4, you'd also notice 1/8, 1/16, 1/32 and 1/64?

Which memory usage limit does Task Manager show?

I use databases.

if you double something and notice, you should also notice a 25% increase.  i don't understand that 'rule of thumb' at all.

Well I do. He meant that better not change anything if to change for so little.

Usually, 25% (or less?) is too little to notice. The "rule" is a subconscious effect.

PS. What level did you arrive at the "Hacking" quiz back in SF? :P

I use databases.

i 'use databases' too, but i doubt i would notice any difference whatsoever between 512mb and 768mb unless i was doing a large operation on a large database or doing vba on multiple complex files (like him).

PS. What level did you arrive at the "Hacking" quiz back in SF? :P

as you already know, i never went through it.