Davin

Maxtor MaXLine Plus II SATA Review

Hi, I just purchased a 6Y250P0 drive.

It's working fine, except for the extremely loud seeking noise it makes. In idle mode, the drive is definitely quieter than the Western Digital 1200JB I used before. But whenever the drive does heavy disk access operations, it becomes very very loud, accompanied by vibrations. Anyone with similar problems here? Maybe the drive defective? :angry:

Greetings,

master18

Hi, I just purchased a 6Y250P0 drive.

It's working fine, except for the extremely loud seeking noise it makes. In idle mode, the drive is definitely quieter than the Western Digital 1200JB I used before. But whenever the drive does heavy disk access operations, it becomes very very loud, accompanied by vibrations.

I have 6 of the Maxtor 6Y200P0 and 6 of the Maxtor 6Y250P0 drives. In idle mode, you are right, they are quieter than WD, about the same as IBM/Hitachi, and noisier than Seagates.

If you remove one from its mounting in the PC and just dangle it in mid-air with the cables conected, the seek sound is audible but not annoying. The big problem seems to be the vibrations. These are transmitted to the sheet metal in the PC case to produce noise, like a drum.

I now have 6 of my drives mounted in 3-1/2" bays with rubber grommets, and the other 6 in 5-1/2" bays on on special rubber mountings. The noise problem is reduced a lot. When all 12 drives are seeking the noise is noticeable but not annoying.

Rubber grommets are sold at Radio Shack in assortment packets. Use the smallest ones, and drill the screw holes in the PC case a little wider so you can fit the grommets into them.

For rubber mountings I use the Innovatek ones. Not cheap but strongly recommended. http://www.sharkacomputers.com/ininre2.html