Occupant

Winter Has Arrived

It seems every time it rains or snows, the foriegners have to learn how to drive agian, and thier will be a couple of hundered accidents on a stormy day...

It seems every time it rains or snows, the foriegners have to learn how to drive agian, and thier will be a couple of hundered accidents on a stormy day...

Yeah, the same thing happens down here during the first major rain. It's like people completely forgot about it in the 4 months we were without :blink:

Yeah, the same thing happens down here during the first major rain. It's like people completely forgot about it in the 4 months we were without :blink:

Oh it doesnt happen that far... It'll snow again next week, and that day, thier will be another 200 accidents... Its a wonder someone hasnt started a pool.."how many accidents will there be on each storm day"

Ugh....I wish a bit of winter would arrive here...

93F (33C) right now

And with a massive brush fire cooking off shells at the ex-army base (intentionally set by the Army) And blanketing the area with smoke.........this sucks.

12.jpg

Its winter agian. We got 12 CM of snow over night... more expected today... However the snow started off as a good pounding rain... so that ment that the roads where nicely coated with ice, before getting burried under a few inches of snow... This made driveing this morning a little hazerdous, but fortunatly I arrived at work with nothing more than frayed nerves...

Poeple who abandon a stalled viechle should be under threat of huge lawsuits if the dont remove it from the road way... Idiots where leaving cars in whatever lane they happened to die in, this morning (some didnt even turn on the 4way flashers)... I can just see someone hitting the car when they shoulder checking or something...

It was -20 this morning with wind gusts upto 20... It was a very nasty morning... at least it was too cold to snow...My car hasnt started in nearly a week...

Yeah, winter has hit here in full force....I had to close my window when the sun set, and I used my heater for the first time last night. Good thing I have double-paned windows!

Current forecast for the curious

Aw, poor Davey. 60 F during the day and 40 F at night. What on earth are you going to do? You hear that? That's the sound of half of Canada laughing at you :lol:

What on earth are you going to do?

Well, I have started wearing a leather jacket over my t-shirt in the evenings... :unsure:

You hear that? That's the sound of half of Canada laughing at you

And (pretty much all) of my comments in this thread have been me laughing at Canada :P

It was 80F (~26.6C) here, yesterday.  :)

Don't remind me. :angry: That sucks badly enough in July or August. I'm really pissed off that it has to be that hot in November. Thankfully it was only a few days of that crap and we had more seasonable temperatures today. Something really needs to be done about global warming. I remember 30 years ago it would go into the 20s and 30s by November and pretty much stay there. A 50° day was a rarity, let alone an 80° one. Let it snow please. B)

I think blaming a brief "indian summer" on global warming might be stretching just a bit.

It was 80F (~26.6C) here, yesterday.  :)

Don't remind me. :angry: That sucks badly enough in July or August. I'm really pissed off that it has to be that hot in November. Thankfully it was only a few days of that crap and we had more seasonable temperatures today. Something really needs to be done about global warming. I remember 30 years ago it would go into the 20s and 30s by November and pretty much stay there. A 50° day was a rarity, let alone an 80° one. Let it snow please. B)

The average daily temperature for NYC in November disagrees with you. On Nov. 1, the average high is 59, low is 45. On Nov. 30, the average high is 49, low is 37. And I wouldn't call 80 being hot, especially not in July or August. It's actually a comfortable room temperature for me. ;)

if i could, i'd be happy to sign a document that said i would never see snow again in exchange for a guarantee that everywhere i went the weather wouldn't go below 60

The document that you are looking for is a 1-way to Phoenix, AZ.

Just be sure to read the find print next to the "Summer" portion of the contract.

The average daily temperature for NYC in November disagrees with you. On Nov. 1, the average high is 59, low is 45. On Nov. 30, the average high is 49, low is 37. And I wouldn't call 80 being hot, especially not in July or August. It's actually a comfortable room temperature for me.  ;)

The problem is that as temperatures have been rising for the last 50 years so has the average temperature. As a result, an 80°F day isn't as far off the norm in 2003 as it would have been in, say, 1965.

As for temperatures I personally find comfortable, indoors 75° is OK when I'm sleeping. When I'm awake I prefer about 65-70 if I'm sitting, and 60-65 if I'm moving around. Outdoors, anything much over 60° makes me uncomfortable as I'm usually either walking fast or cycling. In fact, for cycling I'd say 45-50 is ideal-cool enough so you don't sweat but not so cold that your extemities start getting cold. I ride in temperatures as low as about 20°F if I'm dressed for it(gloves, several layers of clothing). Just walking around, I'm fine down to about 10°F with a sweater, windbreaker, and thermally-lined sweatshirt. Any colder and I need wear my parka but sadly a day under 10° is getting rarer and rarer. Very cold air is very refreshing to me.

The problem with average tempratures, is that you can put one foot in ice, and the other in boiling water, and on average you're comfortable...

Averages are statistics that can paper over trends and abnormal events with ease.

This month maybe abnormally warm where you are, but its abnormally cold were Iam, thus how can the globe be warming, when abnormall warm and cold events are occuring on the same day?

Indeed, Occupant. When stats guys ask for a mean, they usually ask for a std deviation as well. Mean, +/- SD is a useful number. Mean by itself, not so much.

Erratic weather has been more common over our lifetimes. Thats true, but weather has been scientificly observed for such a short period of time (a few hundered years at most, in some places and just over a century in other places)

So realisticly it would be hard for us to judge the stability of earth's weather by just this short observations... its kinda like judgeing a movie from the trailer - how often has a good trailer gotten you to a terrible movie?

While we're on the topic of trailers, why are these previews called "trailers"? Doesn't a trailer by definition follow afterwards?

I am in scotland and we don't get that much sun, it normally always raining, but recently we have had alot more sun in the summer and even today in november it is lovely and warm outside for me thats just strange. I think that this could have something to do with global warming.

While we're on the topic of trailers, why are these previews called "trailers"? Doesn't a trailer by definition follow afterwards?

Back in the early days of the weekly serial movie, they where shown after the feature, to show what was happening next week...

Wonderful weather here in Ontario and NY state, eh?

I hear you Californians also had some fun with the snow.

Bad weather for everybody!