Sign in to follow this  
Darking

Trouble with Powersupply

Hello All.

Ive bought an old Chieftec JS2000 case, with a redundant 400 watt powersupply ATX.

The problem im having is i want to use a new Xeon mother board with it, and i dont want to replace the power supply.

As far as i can tell all newer Xeon motherboards use a 24 pin connector and a 8 pin connector for power.. My powersupply only have 20 Pin connector and a 6 pin AUX connector. ive gotten hold of a 12 volt 4pin connector (P4)...

but what do i do?? A guy i know told me that it should work fine, as long as i put the 20 pin connector in the first 20 pins, or find a 20 to 24 pin converter.

But what about the 8pin connector??? Anyone tried this procedure

Darking

Hi,

Your power supply has a 4 pin 12V connector. You will see that this connector will go into a corresponding part of the 8 pin connector on the motherboard. Try the 4 left side holes and then the 4 right side holes; the connector should go in smoothly and fit in any one of these positions; in the other position it will not fit.

So out of the 24 pins, 4 pins will remian vacant. Out of the 8 pins 4 pins will remain vacant also.

The folks over at 2cpu.com should be able to help you, Xeon boxes are more common there ;). BTW, is that a 400 W each or 400 W total ( = 2 * 200 W) PSU? Oh, and what does the board manual say re: PSU req'ments? If you need to use an EPS12V PSU you won't get around buying such a thing.

Well i havnt gotten a board yet, but as far as i can see almost all Intel Xeon dual boards use those connectors, if its EPS or not i dont know.

The powersupply is 2x400Watt (seasonic)load sharing as far as i can see.. with 250Watt out of the 5 and 3.3Vs... seems like a pretty good PSU, i havnt paid for the thing yet, and i need _alot_ of disks in the case, so im a bit worried its not enough power. maybe i should return it and get one with a 2x810Watt EPS enabled instead.... its just 3 times the price :/

Darking

Got myself a JS2000 tho with a 2X460W.

Running 20 HDDs on a dual P!!! since far back.

No troublemas so far.

It's a jolly case for HDDmaniacs : )

/casa

Im a bit curious to your PSU..

is it redundant? or does it give you 920W total?

What model is it?

Ive thought about changing the PSU to something newer, but im not sure what to look for.

And its a really sweet case :) just dunno yet, if i will buy 18 SATA hotswap modules, or try to find someone who makes 3in2 modules

Darking

There are 20-to-24 pin adaptors, and 4-to-8 pin adaptors exactly for cases like yours. One of my suppliers has them listed for about $11 wholesale, made by Inwin.

However, those are not ideal, as the whole idea behind those EPS connectors is to keep the current on each wire within reasonable limits. Feeding two 12V leads out of one is bound to keep the latter warm...

As for your power supply's ratings, I was under the impression that all redundant PS'es with hot-swap modules were load-sharing, and shouldn't be operated at more than what one PS could handle. Perhaps this would be acceptable in a workstation? :unsure:

Im a bit curious to your PSU..

is it redundant? or does it give you 920W total?

What model is it?

Ive thought about changing the PSU to something newer, but im not sure what to look for.

And its a really sweet case :) just dunno yet, if i will buy 18 SATA hotswap modules, or try to find someone who makes 3in2 modules

Darking

It's a Zippy Tech. "RHD/H/I-6460P"

and that's max 460W but redundant

and hot swappable.

And it has +12V current spec: 27A max ripple 0.1Vpp

and with 3WARE the disks spins up sequential...

/casa

Sure you can get adapters to plug a standard atx12v powersupply into a EPS motherboard... but considering how expensive a xeon motherboard is, do you want to introduce another point of failure into your system?

Unfortunately my best adivce would be to buy the proper power supply... (I know its not what you want to hear, but I think its the best cource of action)

I think Iwill makes a motherboard that uses standard atx12v connectors, but I have a feeling the minimum power supply is 550watts...

I'm not sure about this (manual)

"Load share should be balanced when these two modules

are both in normal operating condition"

That sounds like the double is available but

per obvious risk ?

/casa

easy to check, pull one out, and see if your disks still run ;)

I dont recall the spec's on the seasonic, but it was pretty nasty if i recall.

and btw. a good powersupply costs _atleast_ as much as a xeon board.

Oh gawd the pain ive had trying to find something as simple as a SATA hotswap 3in2 case, its plain out sick the time ive spent, i hate Denmark when it comes to buy "not off the rack" sorta hardware :/

Im gonna save some money on the HDD's (2K$ infact) by buying 200GB Maxtor disks instead of 250GB wd disks.. the money i save actually lets me by a new power supply and 4 addiditional disks, wich covers the loss i got from going from 250GB to 200GB disks.. insane.

Darking

hmmm just found the model number, and im getting a bit worried, maybe i need to buy one anyways :)

Its a seasonic SR-400 Powersupply with two SR-400SU units in.

Powersupply PDF

Ah well have to test it and see if its gonnna boot or not :)

Darking

easy to check, pull one out, and see if your disks still run ;)

No problems I hope...

It boots and works normally on one unit.

BTW they came with the chassis when

I purchased it.

/casa