Prof.Wizard

Dream Car

Unfortunately the SLR Mclaren is about $1M US.

Are you sure? I thought it costed €350000. That would be less than $400000.

Not that it's little money... :rolleyes: *sigh*

That SL600 is still stuck in my mind......

Yep. That would be my number 3. But that's just an expensive "normal" car. I could buy it if I succeed as a neurosurgeon in some 30 years... :ph34r:

You're right. This article prices the Mclaren SLR at $400,000.

http://money.cnn.com/2003/09/08/pf/autos/m....reut/index.htm

when I wake up I'm sure I'll agree woth you.  Until then, so what?

Bristol Blenheim?

(that's what the pic says, fool)

I thought that was a WW2 bomber... :rolleyes:

Bristol used to make planes (including the Blenheim), when WW2 ended they started on the cars.

Financed over 20 years, 5.75% interest payment of about $1300 a month

Definitely not affordable to most people. Hell, after taxes I have € 1250 left...

I liked Golf V. Actually a lot.

I didn't like its competitor, the new Opel Astra on the other hand.

Heh. Quite the opposite of what I think. I liked the Golf a lot until the IV. It became an ugly, fat looking car while the Opel Astra II has a sleek, sportive design. About the only thing better on the Golf IV were it's diesel engines. My 1.7 DTI was underpowered at 75 hp and more powerful models like the 2.0 DTI guzzle oil at an incredible rate.

Enter Golf V - looking even more overweight then the IV and Astra III - with new common rail diesels and again a nice design. Me like very much!!! If I'm not mistaken Opel cooperated with FIAT for the new diesels.

I liked Golf V. Actually a lot.

I didn't like its competitor, the new Opel Astra on the other hand.

Heh. Quite the opposite of what I think. I liked the Golf a lot until the IV. It became an ugly, fat looking car while the Opel Astra II has a sleek, sportive design. About the only thing better on the Golf IV were it's diesel engines. My 1.7 DTI was underpowered at 75 hp and more powerful models like the 2.0 DTI guzzle oil at an incredible rate.

Enter Golf V - looking even more overweight then the IV and Astra III - with new common rail diesels and again a nice design. Me like very much!!! If I'm not mistaken Opel cooperated with FIAT for the new diesels.

Hi King....well Opel joining Fiat for the diesels is not exactly a good thing, is it?

Nothing beats a German car. The 1.9 TDI will deliver you 130 PK.....

:D

François

Financed over 20 years, 5.75% interest payment of about $1300 a month

Definitely not affordable to most people. Hell, after taxes I have € 1250 left...

Money is out there. You have to chase it for a while to catch it, but it's out there. It doesn't much matter where you come from or how educated your are or anything in my opinion. It's how bad you want it, and how confident you are you'll get it. It's harder now than it was in the late nineties. I went straight from being an indepenant consultant to being a "fast-track" executive. Having the reputation of working 120 hour weeks and making the girls cry because you're a tough manager doesn't hurt either, unless you're talking about your chances of scoring with those chicks....

Expensive things don't really impress the girls though... if they seem to they are just playing along with you because they like you anyway... that's my excuse anyway.... my nice car and boat haven't landed me a single girl yet. Of course my ex just moved out last week :)

Hi King....well Opel joining Fiat for the diesels is not exactly a good thing, is it?

I should inform you that FIAT has been a pioneer in common-rail diesel technology. FIAT might make low-end cars, but in raw technology is rather advanced.

Also don't forget that FIAT exchanges much R&D with Ferrari. BTW, today Schumi finished first in the Italian Grand Prix. That car says FIAT in front. B)

Nothing beats a German car. The 1.9 TDI will deliver you 130 PK.....

FIAT makes Alfa Romeo, not what I would call shitty cars (in fact I love the 156)

Opel 1.7 CDTI -> 80 and 100 hp

Opel 1.9 CDTI -> 150 hp

And the VW 1.9 TDI will very likely be replaced by the 2.0 TDI making it more expensive due to taxes.

And the VW 1.9 TDI will very likely be replaced by the 2.0 TDI making it more expensive due to taxes.

Is it the displacement that makes the taxes higher? Or the Fuel consumption?

Is it the displacement that makes the taxes higher? Or the Fuel consumption?

The displacement.

BTW, Opel's 1.9l engine produces the same horsepower as VW-Group's 2.0l one... so don't say Opel-Fiat isn't good in producing performing engines.

Postal 2, now there's another 'normal B&G' thread, like so many other testosterone T&A/violence, us v. them, style of threads here. Hmmm, no feminine voices here, just the smell of testosterone.

ddrueding1 & the Wiz are too young to know these picts., and wouldn't understand anyway these vintage death traps(no safety features on these).

1. '69 boattail Alfa Sypder in primo mint condition w/low miles. Why?

a.) because Enzo, the Godfather of sportscars, worked there in his youth before starting his own legendary company.

b.) same reason Katie Holmes next to me in her Honda del Sol, cruising up PCH(legendary coastal/scenic winding road/highway along the shores of the Pacific Coast, best parts in Central California) is a 'dream car'. As in,'now here's to you Mrs. Robinson'(if you don't understand, nevermind the reference).

2. A bit esoteric for the youngsters on this thread, a $M+ mid-sixties 275NART(handful of them ever made for Ferrari of North America's Italian director, and the most beautiful, graceful/clean sexy curvy lines of any Ferrari Spyder...NART(North America Racing Team), built with the higher output all alumimum 4 cam V12 from the 275GTB4. California Spyder?(you did see the replica get trashed in Ferris Buellers Day Off, did you not? Ugly car in comparison to the 275NART). You just cannot replicate the orchestral music sounds that eminate from those vintage carburetted Ferrari V-12's...pure mechnical orchestral music to the ears.

3. Even more esoteric, wilder version of the famous early '60's Le Mans Alfa TZ(Tubular Zagato body/frame), the ultra, ultra rare TZ2.

4. Almost as rare, but far more often sighted; the most beautiful, sensuous, lean/mean curvy bodies ever to grace a car, ever, IMHO; the early '60's Ferrari GTO(kind of reminds me of Carrie Lu)---especially the one owned by the man who organized the annual Pebbie Beach Concours/Vintage Car races of August at Leguna Seca.

Oh, all this testoterone car talk is starting to bore me(getting a kick out of just now watching the new Der Winerschnitzle commercial spoof of the sexy fashion model B&W Calvin Klein, ultra close up shots style of advertisements....he, he, he "...come back my little Chili dog!")

Classic American decadence...bad taste

Postal 2, now there's another 'normal B&G' thread, like so many other testosterone T&A/violence, us v. them, style of threads here. Hmmm, no feminine voices here, just the smell of testosterone.

ddrueding1 & the Wiz are too young to know these picts., and wouldn't understand anyway these vintage death traps(no safety features on these).

1.    '69 boattail Alfa Sypder in primo mint condition w/low miles. Why?

a.) because Enzo, the Godfather of sportscars, worked there in his youth before starting his own legendary company.

b.) same reason Katie Holmes next to me in her Honda del Sol, cruising up PCH(legendary coastal/scenic winding road/highway along the shores of the Pacific Coast, best parts in Central California) is a 'dream car'. As in,'now here's to you Mrs. Robinson'(if you don't understand, nevermind the reference).

2.    A bit esoteric for the youngsters on this thread, a $M+ mid-sixties 275NART(handful of them ever made for Ferrari of North America's Italian director, and the most beautiful, graceful/clean sexy curvy lines of any Ferrari Spyder...NART(North America Racing Team), built with the higher output all alumimum 4 cam V12 from the  275GTB4. California Spyder?(you did see the replica get trashed in Ferris Buellers Day Off, did you not? Ugly car in comparison to the 275NART). You just cannot replicate the orchestral music sounds that eminate from those vintage carburetted Ferrari V-12's...pure mechnical orchestral music to the ears.

3.    Even more esoteric, wilder version of the famous early '60's Le Mans Alfa TZ(Tubular Zagato body/frame), the ultra, ultra rare TZ2.

4.    Almost as rare, but far more often sighted; the most beautiful, sensuous, lean/mean curvy bodies ever to grace a car, ever, IMHO; the early '60's Ferrari GTO(kind of reminds me of Carrie Lu)---especially the one owned by the man who organized the annual Pebbie Beach Concours/Vintage Car races of August at Leguna Seca.

Oh, all this testoterone car talk is starting to bore me(getting a kick out of just now watching the new Der Winerschnitzle commercial spoof of the sexy fashion model B&W Calvin Klein, ultra close up shots style of advertisements....he, he, he "...come back my little Chili dog!")

Classic American decadence...bad taste

I knew #1, not #2. I drive PCH from Monterey to Lucia (100+ miles) about every other weekend (with the top down when I get a convertible). Got Mrs. Robinson, I know of the 275NART, I was several Ferrari GTOs and an Alfa TZ at Concours this year. Although I can appreciate the beauty in these cars, I'd never want to own one myself. IMO, cars are made for driving, and these cars (though very pretty) are not as fun to drive as a modern ride (most fun on the PCH was a new 911 Targa).

...I drive PCH from Monterey...

Monterey?

I remember Carmel in that peninsula, probably the best (quiet) place to live in the world. Seriously, I loved that small town.

...I drive PCH from Monterey...

Monterey?

I remember Carmel in that peninsula, probably the best (quiet) place to live in the world. Seriously, I loved that small town.

Yes, I have many (rich) friends who live in Carmel, it's not bad if you only need 2 bedrooms and have a few million to spare. Monterey is about 6 miles north, at the south end of the Monterey Bay (the one visible on a globe "just" south of San Francisco).

Yes, I have many (rich) friends who live in Carmel, it's not bad if you only need 2 bedrooms and have a few million to spare.

The only other place I've seen so many 5-zeroed-$ cars in such concentration was central London. And each house was awesome, ultra-luxurious to the last detail. And life seemed easy-going, unique. I was about two hours in the place and I still remember everything. B)

One of the best cars I've owned was a '66 Austin Healey Sprite Midget (not the bugeye). It weighed in at ~1200lbs and put out nearly 60hp. It would not exceed 65mph (as the drive wheels left the ground at that speed), but would do anything you could think of at 55mph.

My future-father-in-law restores Healeys and Jaguars -- he used to race AHs, I think (hill climb). His latest project is a '71 Jaguar XKE, IIRC. He's also restoring a bugeye Sprite that he's giving to my fiancee and I -- looking forward to trying it out. :)

ferrari_171003_612_01h.jpg

Isn't this brand new baby awesome?

The ultimate 2+2 Grand Turismo...

4AM on the US Westcoast, Sun. 7AM Eastcoast, nobody awake except me and the Euros :P

The Wiz finally shows some taste after all those, cold, indifferent, souless/teKtonic German cars. Cause you know that udaman(aka "le Continental") has superlative taste. BTW Prof., I could go out this morning and just drive around the 'hood, and take pictures of dozens of autostores in this area, which have dozens of 5 zero supercars on display. Then come summer, just head on over to Beverly Hills, and you'll see the owners of supercars like Peacocks showing off their feathers(some hot looking women driving some of these babies too!).

Because we'll all know that the Italians are the most stylish people in the world, there is this saying that's something akin to the French terminology 'gout de terroir' (ethereal concept, if you don't understand it, it's not so easy to explain). The Italians(and 'le Continental') always do it 'con brio'. Or in otherwords, there is one and only...marque of the prancing horse, the true thoroughbred... Those who "know it", the saying is "A Ferrari, is a Ferrari, is a Ferrari".

"FIAT makes Alfa Romeo, not what I would call shitty cars (in fact I love the 156)"

True i drove a Alfa 75 2.4 Diesel. The engine is ok, the rest is so so. The engine is just a part of the whole.

Then come summer, just head on over to Beverly Hills, and you'll see the owners of supercars like Peacocks showing off their feathers(some hot looking women driving some of these babies too!).

I did exactly this 2 years ago. It felt horrible. I felt poor and undesired... :(

Man, so much wealth in a so small area for so few people. In Beverly Hills and Bel Air the worst cars I was seeing were old Ferraris and Porsches...

Sorry, but the 612 looks too much like a Jaguar (not a good thing IMHO). The lines are too soft, and the look too crawded. I'm a fan of the "form follows function" philosophy, and feel that a car that executes perfectly along those lines is beautiful.